How many men to take down Gregor Clegane?

LordFirkraag

Eddard Stark says something along the lines of "they clashed again and again, until finally a blow from Roberts Warhammer fell Rheagar." Paraphrasing. Even at the height of his fury, against the man that he hated the most, it sounds like Robert conserved enough energy for a lengthy fight against Rheagar. Gregor on the other hand is nothing to him, and Robert, while not the sharpest knife in the drawer is certainly intellegent enough to note Gregor's strengths and weaknesses.

All it says is Robert took a wound in that fight with Rheagar, noted for excelling with a sword as he did at all else (no Dayne or Selmy, I'll admit), he seems well enough to ensure Ser Barristan lives and even sends his own Measter to attend him, suggesting merely a minor setback. Gregor is bigger than Robert agreed, Rob is a 6 ft 5" guy (roundabout) and Gregor is closer to 8ft than 7, so probably about a foot and a half difference, 18 inches, something like that. Gregors biggest advantage being an 8ft reach, which would be harder to negate with a hammer than with a spear admittedly, on the other hand Rob only requires one, solid hit, unlike a smaller, faster fighter who'd be reigning blows to little effect, and since Gregor isn't the most efficient dodger in the series, how long would it take for a Warhammer to make a ruin of a shield? Would you try to parry one with a sword? Gregor is strong, but Warhammers shatter bones. I'd say Robert parries the sword attacks keeping a distance until Gregor tires, then all he has to do is avoid one swing. Also, Oberyn only took one blow from Gregor on his shield, which ruined it.

You remember Sandors fight with Gregor? He seemed to be taking the full fury of the Mountain without even trying to attack him back. Its worth noting that even Arya points out that Sandor is hungover against Beric, doing anything physical is hard with a hangover, and Sandor doesn't hold back on the drink either. He is also up against a flaming sword, which we know is his weakness, since Thoros has done him in three times with one, and surrounded by fire as well. In short, Beric held all the cards.

I'd imagine he has no shield, since Eddard is probably capable of lifting Gregors greatsword, since nothing exception is said about it, and Gregor is stronger than Robert, who wields a hammer that Ned can scarcely lift. So I've very much doubt he has a shield as well.

Gregor's shield(like everything else of his) is likely larger and stronger than the average shield. While I agree it probably doesn't hold up long, it will block some of Robert's blows.

I'd also like to point out that Sandor is likely quicker with his sword than Robert is with that ridiculous warhammer, but once again that's just my opinion.

It seems we agree on most points...

-Robert doesn't have a shield

-Robert is not the smartest fighter

-Robert is NOT fast enough to get in and out or Gregors insane reach.

-A two handed warhammer is at a huge reach disadvantage to a 6ft greatsword.

Or differences in opinions are:

-Robert will be able to "parry" all/most of Gregor's blows. I just don't see this happening with that heavy and slow warhammer. Robert's lack of a shield and slow weapon of choice will ensure he takes multiple blows from Gregor imo.

-Robert would tire Gregor. I believe this is near impossible for Robert to do without a shield and a quicker weapon that isn't at such a HUGE reach disadvantage. A warhammer that is as heavy as Robert's is described would have to be held with one hand at least remotely close to the hammer head, which makes it's reach INCREDIBLY short. As experienced as Gregor is in warfare I'm sure he's aware of the "hammer vs plate" advantage as I'm sure he'd be aware of his huge reach advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if Robert was the one getting tired while Gregor attacked from afar and stayed out of Robert's short range while blocking with his shield if/when Robert did get close.

-One blow will stop Gregor. While one blow from any weapon in the right spot can without a doubt stop any man. I don't see either man being dropped easily here, I just see Gregor's advantages tipping the scale to ensure he lands more/better blows than Robert will be able to.

At the end of the day we just disagree on the outcome, not the fight itself.

Edit: You're right about Sandor vs Beric, my apologies it's been a minute since I've read that fight. I just remembered Beric looked the more skilled of the two...

Two:

One, a stout man with a strong man, to fight him defensively a distraction.

The other, to fire a scorpion into him when his back is turned. The scorpion bolt can be poisoned, or not. One good shot to bag him with a bolt 1 m. long that can pierce the hull of a ship, and thus pierce his armour.

One:

Someone to sneak into his room while he's sleeping, and break a big pot of wildfire on his bed. (And then run ...)

Archived