Video Games: The (over-priced) Expansion

Relic

I've got Hearthstone running. A rogue played Defias Ringleader then shadowstep, which seems to have bugged the game. Been sitting here a good 15 minutes with nothing happening and the connection not timing out. :/ http://i.imgur.com/wTJ9rA0.jpg

Had a lot of disconnects tonight and failure to connect to the game. Hopefully they're nerfing priests. :D

I don't really play video games, but if anyone was as big a fan of Myst and its sequels as I was, this Kickstarter might interest you. They just met their target but are working on stretch goals for additional worlds. I also love the fantasy art of Stephan Martiniere so, yay for pretty worlds you can wander around.

None of my friends play Hearthstone, so I gotta brag here. Made it into Masters! Highlight of my week,

I need to re-evaluate life decision made so far.

I don't mean to shit all over you, but the ranking system isn't designed so you can lose rank afaik. So as long as you keep playing, you'll win enough to climb the ladder.

I don't mean to shit all over you, but the ranking system isn't designed so you can lose rank afaik. So as long as you keep playing, you'll win enough to climb the ladder.

Pretty sure that's only at low rankings. Once you pass a certain threshold you lose a star for every loss.

Don't worry - I've been shat all over the last 5 or so games.

AFAIK - once you get to the rank, you can lose stars, but not be demoted to a lesser rank.

There are changes to the ranking system coming up soon.

Yeah, they are adding some neat stuff and more to come hopefully. Right now constructed is fun but it's pretty meaningless and the ranking system (or basically lack there of) means you can get too high and get your ass beaten down constantly if you aren't careful.

Just an FYI:

GOG.com is doing a weird thing they call a "drm-free fall insomnia sale" - basically they offer a substantial discount on a game for for a limited quantity of sales. Meaning for instance that as of this writing, Rogue Legacy is 66% off, but there are only 194 sales left. After Legacy is completely "sold out", a new game will be offered at a discount.

edit: this is the official post on their forum with better-written explanation (also PR bull, obviously, but that's their job):

You remember back when you used to walk into a store, browse the shelves, pick out a game, and then buy it--all in the actual real world? We don't know about you, but most of us at GOG.com have had our limbs atrophy to small vestigial nubbins since all of our shopping happens online these days. Of course, one thing that sometimes happens in real world stores with real world goods--particularly when they have a good sale--is that they run out of stock. Usually that means that the deal was so good that they couldn't keep up with demand.

Well, in the digital realm, this is usually pretty rare. How do you run out of stock on digital games, short of entropy devouring the universe? Well, we have gotten 101 games that will be on sale on the front page of GOG.com, but the discounts are so high at the moment that we can't just sell an unlimited number of copies of these games: we are only able to sell a few at these discounts--up to 80% off--and once they're gone, they're gone.

So what games will be on sale in our Insomnia promo? Bestselling classics and new games alike. There will also occasionally be some free games in super limited numbers (like, 20 or 30 copies)--if you're fast enough on the trigger finger to pick 'em up, that is. The deal will run from now until we're out of "stock" of games for the sale, and games may show up more than once. So it's time to bathe in a tub of coffee*, dip some espresso**, snort an energy drink***, or do whatever else it takes to stay up so you don't miss out on the best deals on fantastic games on GOG.com since summer.

*This is probably not a good idea

**This is definitely not a good idea

***This is totally safe, though****

****NO IT'S NOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY PERSON

I'm so damn jealous of you people with Hearthstone access :frown5: Been waiting to play for what feels like forever. I know open beta is in a month or two but that seems so far away :lol:.

Are you running their beta battle.net client? I heard on reddit that people who downloaded that client are getting keys now: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/201-hearthstone-beta-keys-going-out-to-battle-net

Are you running their beta battle.net client? I heard on reddit that people who downloaded that client are getting keys now: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/201-hearthstone-beta-keys-going-out-to-battle-net

Nope, and now the closed beta is over for the client so I won't get a key that way anyway. My luck with closed betas is horrible. I've never gotten into one in my life. Except Path of Exile, exception that proves the rule and all that, but PoE sent out keys every 15 minutes for months so that was bound to happen sooner or later. Oh well :lol:.

ETA: ARGH someone just posted a key on the Hearthstone subreddit and I was a couple seconds too late to redeem it. Got my hopes up for a second.

In other news I decided to cancel my PS4 preorder. Only two exclusive launch titles and I don't really have any interest in either of them. I'll wait for the new Infamous game to come out and get one then, maybe there'll be a bundle or special edition PS4 or something.

Yeah, they are adding some neat stuff and more to come hopefully. Right now constructed is fun but it's pretty meaningless and the ranking system (or basically lack there of) means you can get too high and get your ass beaten down constantly if you aren't careful.

I love constructed. I do wish they'd tie the ranking into separate decks though. Right now I've constructed a pretty solid Paladin deck that has a very good chance against anything, unless I get draw-boned, but get curb stomped if I mess around with another deck.

I could always change to unranked, but wheres the fun in that?

Welp. I just spent $17 on games on GOG. I need to get away from that website before it ruins me.

Though I think I got a good haul. Baldurs Gate, Giana sisters, wargame european escalation, geneforge 1-5, retro city rampage and syberia. I've spent more and gotten more from this than the steam halloween sale!

A new Uncharted was just announced, and a teaser trailer was shown. I am now moderately excited for the PS4, even though I don't expect I'll have one for a few weeks. Looks like South Africa, Madagascar, and (presumably) someone from Nate's past will feature in it. Or it could be a prequel involving Sully. Hell, it could even have Francis Drake. I just hope they don't take themselves too seriously; I've always liked the lighter feel of the Uncharted games (even if the last one was a bit disappointing).

Archived