Good generic epic fantasy...

fionwe1987

What I'm looking for is a nice quest story, with some wise old mentors, tons of intrigue, hero/heroine from some remote corner who needs to learn and become fit to fight evil/the villains, and so on. If, along the way, the story changes and becomes non-cliche, that is fine.

The First Law Trilogy is exactly what your looking for.

I don't know if Brett was really trying to bash any RL culture/religion but his portrayal of the Arab-esque people is pretty questionable.

Beyond that, the books fucking suck after the first one - everything related to relationships comes off as if the author decided he would put his break up woes and tearful jack-off fantasies on the page.

Total garbage and I trusted him enough as an author to buy the first & second hardcover.

Wow. Total garbage? I'll grant you that the love triangle that should/could have been between the three mains was a bit erm...adolescent, I spose, but seeing as how those characters were little more than adolesecents when this was occurring I let it pass. You have to factor in the fact that none of them has ever had any sort of serious romantic relationship up to that point. I believe both Arlen and Leesha are essentially virgins (outside of Leesha being gangraped) at the time that they almost first hook up. So it would stand to reason that their relationship is a bit of a "tearful jack-off fantasy".

The only real complaint I have with the series is the ease of which both the protagonist and the anti-hero had in disposing of what should have been a mortal threat from their antagonists in the third book. Seemed a bit to easy. Outside of that, I've enjoyed this series immensely.

I believe both Arlen and Leesha are essentially virgins (outside of Leesha being gangraped) at the time that they almost first hook up. So it would stand to reason that their relationship is a bit of a "tearful jack-off fantasy".

Oh I was referring to Book Two. Book One is actually a great fantasy story overall - for a debut I'd say it was 4/5 stars.

In fact I'm just going to pretend that subsequent novels were never written.

Oh I was referring to Book Two. Book One is actually a great fantasy story overall - for a debut I'd say it was 4/5 stars.

In fact I'm just going to pretend that subsequent novels were never written.

But that sets the tone for their unrequited relationship throughout the rest of the novels thus far. I get that it's an overused trope, but it's hardly garbage.

Arlen is essentially Batman. A hero so obessed with his quest that he decides that getting involved with anyone else romantically would be an extremely selfish thing to do. Until he comes across a girl who is just as obsessed with the same quest as he is. So he takes up with his Robin.

I guess that would make Leesha Batgirl, who has currently taken up with Ras Al Ghul. :cool4:

I realize this is a bit of a simplistic analysis of their romance, but I'd hardly describe as being total garbage. It's a trope that is as old as fiction, really.

But that sets the tone for their unrequited relationship throughout the rest of the novels thus far. I get that it's an overused trope, but it's hardly garbage.

The romance stuff in Book One is fine.

Book Two is where stuff goes off the rails. Leesha's character is just ridiculous - feeling guilty for preventing her own rape in book one and shacking up with the guy who allows his soldiers to rape women (not to mention she's drugged and this doesn't seem to be a moral problem).

It's been awhile since I read Book Two. There's a lot more nonsense but my mind seems to have freed up memory for better purposes.

eta:

His voice rasped. “Get down, teratologist bitches. Unsatisfy me. Frustrate me.”

Hahahaha

I don't know if Brett was really trying to bash any RL culture/religion but his portrayal of the Arab-esque people is pretty questionable.

Beyond that, the books fucking suck after the first one - everything related to relationships comes off as if the author decided he would put his break up woes and tearful jack-off fantasies on the page.

Total garbage and I trusted him enough as an author to buy the first & second hardcover.

The really unsettling part is that he talks in interviews a lot about how 9/11 inspired..well maybe not inspired..but influenced the book a lot. That kind of sets of my Orson Scott Card alert.

I also REALLY liked the first book. The second....not as much, although I would argue it doesn't start to suck dick til about 1/3 in/ The third book does not exist and we will never speak of it again.

Archived