Female Fans

Freesword

Mod:

Due to past experience with this topic, I will just exhort us all to preemptively recall that anecdote is not the singular of data, and also that I will terribly enjoy shutting this down if it goes into mysoginistic evo psych blather. Which I'm just sure it won't.

Have a nice weekend,

Datepalm

The gay romance. I especially like the bit where Renly enters Loras so smoothly, like a fine Valyrian sword being returned to it's supple leather scabbard.

Or the way a young Robert's clear blue eyes light up like sapphires when he spies Ned in the Eyrie's gardens and his heart bursts with the first, crushing waves of young love.

My wife is a huge fan. She's not much into Internet, so she does not write anything on the subject. We have a lot of discussions, and I tell her a helluvalot of theories and various thoughts.

She likes Tyrion's wits but does not really care about the character, holds much respect to Eddard's and Davos' honor. She sees herself as somebody like Sansa in the course of events, so she sympathizes her a lot. Hates all about Cersei and Tywin. Is horrified by Boltons, but finds it hard to pity Theon. She's not very fond of Jaime, though acknowledges him as badass. She likes Jon and wishes him good. Indifferent to Dany. Pities Robb for his stupid marriage. Despises Catelyn for her decisions and actions.

Her strong favorite is Eddard, she deems him a good father and compares to me :)

We differ very strongly about Stannis. I like him a lot and wish him every luck, she does not believe he's any good.

And both of us are absolute fans of Dunk & Egg.

Female fans, what are those?

Or the way a young Robert's clear blue eyes light up like sapphires when he spies Ned in the Eyrie's gardens and his heart bursts with the first, crushing waves of young love.

I don't think Robert ("beautiful blue eyes, muscled like a maiden's fantasy" according to Ned's loving descriptions) was the one with the unrequited gay crush...

Female fans, what are those?

I don't think Robert ("bright blue eyes, muscled like a maiden's fantasy" according to Ned) was the one with the unrequited gay crush...

Who said it was unrequited? Or did you skip the chapter where Robert and Ned consecrate their union beneath the heartree?

no need to be sarcastic and condescending. OP is just curious

I don't want to turn this into a "thing," but the question presented in itself is condescending. I know it's not meant to be, but asking the question in the first place presupposes that there would be some inherent reason for women- as a whole- to enjoy this series as opposed to men, and that there is some "female perspective" that can illuminate this phenomenon.

Further to this, the OP is aware of the fact that there are a lot of women on here, yet instead of reading our posts in any number of threads, wants "our perspective" to be articulated into something more defined as per this thread. Which, I'm sure you can appreciate, women are no more unified into such a singular perspective as men on any number things.

The author says there are more women readers:

It is the richly imagined female characters in particular that set Martin apart from other fantasy writers, and have won him a legion of female fans; women readers make up slightly more than half of his fanbase, he thinks. ‘It’s one of the things that please me most.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/game-of-thrones/9945808/Game-of-Thrones-Interview-with-George-RR-Martin.html

Well then.

Gentlemen (and E-ro)

Why do you like a series so obviously preferred by women?

Which, I'm sure you can appreciate, women are no more unified into such a singular perspective as men on any number things.

Exactly, unless there's a similar, singular male viewpoint (there isn't) then what is the point.

There are a bunch of us who read the books. Want to know what we think, listen to what we say.

Archived