Female Fans

Freesword

So, I just read through this thread, thoroughly enjoying and laughing my ass off at a lot of the comments posted. Then I thought of poor ol Freesword, posting, probably for the first time, with what to him was most likely a perfectly innocent question.

So, to Freesword: sorry you got jumped on so quickly by so many people, hope we didn't scare you off. But Butterbumps has the best response to your question. Read the posts, do searches, ask around among your friends. You'll find that while there are many groups, such as Stannis lovers or haters, Brienne/Jaime shippers, Dany apologists, etc, I don't think there is much of a male/female factor among fans. The views are spread pretty much evenly between us.

Ok, first I would like to apologize if the post offended anyone. It wasn't meant to. To clarify, I was thinking more of a individuals view, not that men and women don't have similar viewpoints or experiences. I think Butterbuds is right. I'll just read the other postes on specific topics.

Well done! Apology accepted.

Agreed-- thanks for responding to our objections, Freesword.

My intent was not to ask why a woman would enjoy the series, but more to what a specific woman enjoys about aspects/characters in the series due to their own life experiences. Such as motherhood. I read somewhere that the series was more popular with women than other novels in the fantasy genre.

I know your intent wasn't to be offensive, but I think questions in this vein are inherently a bit tricky to navigate when it comes to making distinctions along gender lines.

I think your revised view-- to search through threads to see what we've had to say about various subjects-- is really the most productive way to satisfy your inquiries.

We've had a number of threads of motherhood, femininity, gender issues and the like, so searching for those is an option. Also, another way to canvas opinion is to look at people profiles to sift through their content. If you click on a poster's name, it takes you to their profile, and on the right hand side, there's a "find content" button; from there, you can trace threads they've been in (I mean, if you're super curious about a particular poster's view on something).

To defend the OP a bit, just the other day a male fan admitted to being more critical of female characters than male ones, simply because he's male. While I find that to be an individual trait, not an overwhelmingly male trait, maybe OP was interested in finding out if any women think that way, individually, not as a hive mind. Like, are women more likely to forgive the female character's flaws and condemn the males?

I don't think that is the case, but I can see the curiosity to find out. I also don't think most men think like the original poster I mentioned.

I do think things like being a parent (not just mother) can change a posters view. As can a posters relationship with their mother, their past experiences in romantic relationships or with past abuses can color their views.

That's actually a good question.

I tend to be more forgiving-or at least predisposed to liking-women and queer characters, partly because I am fighting an internalised prejudice against them and partly because they tend to attract so.much.hate.

So, I just read through this thread, thoroughly enjoying and laughing my ass off at a lot of the comments posted. Then I thought of poor ol Freesword, posting, probably for the first time, with what to him was most likely a perfectly innocent question.

So, to Freesword: sorry you got jumped on so quickly by so many people, hope we didn't scare you off. But Butterbumps has the best response to your question. Read the posts, do searches, ask around among your friends. You'll find that while there are many groups, such as Stannis lovers or haters, Brienne/Jaime shippers, Dany apologists, etc, I don't think there is much of a male/female factor among fans. The views are spread pretty much evenly between us.

Agreed-- thanks for responding to our objections, Freesword.

I know your intent wasn't to be offensive, but I think questions in this vein are inherently a bit tricky to navigate when it comes to making distinctions along gender lines.

I think your revised view-- to search through threads to see what we've had to say about various subjects-- is really the most productive way to satisfy your inquiries.

We've had a number of threads of motherhood, femininity, gender issues and the like, so searching for those is an option. Also, another way to canvas opinion is to look at people profiles to sift through their content. If you click on a poster's name, it takes you to their profile, and on the right hand side, there's a "find content" button; from there, you can trace threads they've been in (I mean, if you're super curious about a particular poster's view on something).

Thank you both. I am new to the forum and was not aware of the find content option. I'll go hide under a rock now.

Thank you both. I am new to the forum and was not aware of the find content option. I'll go hide under a rock now.

Hey you should have seen me when I first joined. I waltzed in Sansa thread and said I like Tyrion. I nearly got my ovaries handed to me in a sack. :lol:

To answer your question in a way...

I personally like different books for different reasons. This one I like because of interesting characters, great writing, plot that keeps me at the edge of my seat, and my general liking of this genre.

I'm a male, and almost all of my favorite characters are female.

1) Sansa

2) Asha

3) Catelyn

4) Olenna Tyrell

5) Sandor Clegane (Who only barely beats out Arya, really.)

I find most of the male characters to be quite dull, unfortunately.

Ok you may have redeemed yourself a bit :)

Sansa is my favorite too.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

15 members, 10 guests, 6 anonymous users

People still know what interesting topics are! :P

Well then.

Gentlemen (and E-ro)

Why do you like a series so obviously preferred by women?

Best answer.

Shall I create the thread?

Yes, PLEASE.

My intent was not to ask why a woman would enjoy the series, but more to what a specific woman enjoys about aspects/characters in the series due to their own life experiences. Such as motherhood. I read somewhere that the series was more popular with women than other novels in the fantasy genre.

Then you could as well have asked if men see the series in a specific way because, for example, fatherhood, or anything.

I am glad you understood the objection by most posters and, well, welcome to the forum. :)

That's actually a good question.

I tend to be more forgiving-or at least predisposed to liking-women and queer characters, partly because I am fighting an internalised prejudice against them and partly because they tend to attract so.much.hate.

I think it's a pretty interesting topic actually.

I'm not a mother but hoping to be one in the next few years, so I think mother figures get a bit of a pass for me when they're doing things to try to protect their kids.

I'm incredibly close to my father, so I think Arya/Ned's relationship hit a certain spot in my heart, really resonated with me. I was also a wild child with no fear, can't even tell you how many scars I accumulated in my childhood, so Arya speaks to me.

I find all sexualized violence especially heinous due to my past.

As a woman I think I do relate to the female characters more than the males, but not by much. I don't think I'm especially critical of males, except rapists, though.

As a woman I think I do relate to the female characters more than the males, but not by much. I don't think I'm especially critical of males, except rapists, though.

I'm especially critical of males, because all I can think about is all the stupid decisions they're making, and how much better I'd do if I was in their position.

I will, however, concede that I would be absolutely hopeless as a woman in Westeros. For a variety of reasons.

Archived