Stark children and their direwolves

mkr'sdirewolf

We have seen it being said that the direwolf pups were sent to the stark kids by the old gods. Catelyn stark believed that they were the protectors of their masters. Many a time she reminds Robb about this and asks him to keep Grey Wind closeby. But we saw that at the red wedding both Robb and his wolf were murdered. Sansa's direwolf Lady was killed too(in the GOT). Right now there are 5 Stark children(counting Jon) and four direwolves. Is George Martin indicating that Sansa would be killed too as was Robb because Sansa's direwolf has already been killed?? Is it why he said that there would be a bittersweet ending?

I think Sansa's situation is quite complicated right now. She is married to Tyrion but that marriage would be annulled if Tyrion finds his first wife Tysha. At the same time she is a suspect in Joffrey's murder. Littlefinger has turned her into a pawn in his game of thrones little knowing that her claim to winterfell is dodgy at best since we all know that Robb never intended her to take winterfell and Bran and Rickon are both alive. To top it all her direwolf is dead too. So she is in a really vulnerable position. At this moment she is completely dependant on Littlefinger for her survival. If she comes out in the open Lannisters would be after her as also the faith because she is accused of being complicit in the murder of a king. Littlefinger, after he realises that she doesnot have a valid claim to Winterfell may try to kill her because she,if living,would be a danger to him as she is privy to a lot of his secrets.

So,what is your opinion guys?Does Sansa die as has her direwolf or does she survive??

Hmmm...Robb's wolf was killed as a semi-direct result of Robb's own betrayal of his honor (yes, Caitlin made a bad deal, but a deal is a deal). Sansa lied to protect Joffrey, and her wolf was killed. (Both were motivated by romantic passion to a great extent.) Have any of the other Stark children, including Jon, committed acts of such dishonor? Maybe there's a connection? (I submit that Jon screwing with Ygrite was necessary for his mission, and we can justify other transgressions, but not the two I cite above by Sansa and Robb.)

This theory is probably full of holes, but I'll post it anyway. Have at it...

I think Sansa's situation is quite complicated right now. She is married to Tyrion but that marriage would be annulled if Tyrion finds his first wife Tysha. At the same time she is a suspect in Joffrey's murder. Littlefinger has turned her into a pawn in his game of thrones little knowing that her claim to winterfell is dodgy at best since we all know that Robb never intended her to take winterfell and Bran and Rickon are both alive. To top it all her direwolf is dead too. So she is in a really vulnerable position. At this moment she is completely dependant on Littlefinger for her survival. If she comes out in the open Lannisters would be after her as also the faith because she is accused of being complicit in the murder of a king. Littlefinger, after he realises that she doesnot have a valid claim to Winterfell may try to kill her because she,if living,would be a danger to him as she is privy to a lot of his secrets.

So,what is your opinion guys?Does Sansa die as has her direwolf or does she survive??

LF did not turn Sansa into a pawn, she has already been one since GOT. LF is, inadvertently, turning Sansa into a Queen (pun definitely intended).

I do believe Lady's death is something of foreshadowing, but I have no clue as to what. Maybe one of her own family killing her, as Ned killed Lady.

Lady's death foreshadowed the death of Sansa's innocence.

Ned beheaded Lady, and Sansa's innocence finally died when Ned's head came off.

Also… I don't remember seeing Grey Wind die… unless you trust a Frey that much.

When Lord Eddard intended to kill the pups Jon reminded him that there were five pups for five starks. Later he found one for himself as well. We have seen that all the direwolves have deep bonds with their masters. Although I cannot say that for Lady because she was killed quite early in the story.

What I am trying to say is that there were six for six. Right now there are four for five. So going by this theory one more Stark should die. Will it be Sansa??

Grey Wind was quite suspicious of Freys at the red wedding. So was Ghost, the day Jon was stabbed. These incidents showed that the direwolves felt something bad was going to happen. But on the day Lady died she was quite peaceful and trusting,why?

She knew Ned had no choice. She should have bitten his hand off though.

Grey Wind was quite suspicious of Freys at the red wedding. So was Ghost, the day Jon was stabbed. These incidents showed that the direwolves felt something bad was going to happen. But on the day Lady died she was quite peaceful and trusting,why?

There's lots of events that show the Direwolves have a sixth sense for people who intend to do harm to their masters. Ned didn't intend harm against Sansa and he didn't want to do harm to Lady either.

Sandor his her "replacement" direwolf of sorts -

Sansa found herself thinking of Lady again. She could smell out falsehood, she could, but she was dead, Father had killed her, on account of Arya.

…..

Sandor Clegane snorted. “Pretty thing, and such a bad liar. A dog can smell a lie, you know. Look around you, and take a good whiff. They’re all liars here… and every one better than you.”

“Lady,” she whimpered softly, wondering if she would meet her wolf again when she was dead.

Sandor his her "replacement" direwolf of sorts -

Sansa found herself thinking of Lady again. She could smell out falsehood, she could, but she was dead, Father had killed her, on account of Arya.

Sandor Clegane snorted. Pretty thing, and such a bad liar. A dog can smell a lie, you know. Look around you, and take a good whiff. Theyre all liars here and every one better than you.

Lady, she whimpered softly, wondering if she would meet her wolf again when she was dead.

Sandor is off digging graves(if the theory is true) and has no clue about Sansa.

We already know Martin does not write something if it has no relevance to the plot.

Not true at all… that's just conspiracy theory thinking, forcing everything into a pattern/plot.

Are descriptions of food relevant? Maybe a tiny few of them, but most are just irrelevant details for fun.

Rickon's entire story is also probably a shaggydog, meaning GRRM is even teasing you about all the false leads and irrelevant details.

@ mkr'sdirewolf Sansa' marriage can be annulled for two reasons: Tyrion was already married to Tysha, and yes they'd have to find her, but I'm sure Varys or Littlefiner could do that, and she is still a virgin, the marriage was never consummated.

She was given a direwolf to protect her, but lost it once she betrayed her family, she was then given a Hound, but chose to dismiss it.

Robb was given a direwolf, but lost it, and his life, by betraying his vows, which in turn severely affected his family.

As Fanless Mace[\b] mentioned, only Jon broke his vows and did not lose his wolf, perhaps because he broke his vows to protect his family (one could always say "yeah right, he just couldn't keep it in his pants"), and I would add that he technically no longer belonged to the Stark family, but to the Night's Watch family.

We don't know what the punishment for betraying your family is as a Stark, it could be simply to lose your direwold, and Robb just got even unluckier. So Sansa might still pay a second price (die), or just forever be apart from her pack, or simply never have a Direwolf again.

Not true at all that's just conspiracy theory thinking, forcing everything into a pattern/plot.

Are descriptions of food relevant? Maybe a tiny few of them, but most are just irrelevant details for fun.

Rickon's entire story is also probably a shaggydog, meaning GRRM is even teasing you about all the false leads and irrelevant details.

Descriptions about food and places make for a rich prose but describing that Lady was quiet and trusting before her death is something else. It does not make the language rich when we know that direwolves are dangerous beasts.

Archived