If Varys had Aegon all along, why was he trying to get Daenerys on the Iron Throne along with Illyrio?

MikeMartell

Some people think that he wanted to use Dany and Viserys and the Dothraki to destabilize the 7K so then Aegon and the Golden Company could come in, beat them, and save the day.

But this is not really certain and there are many different theories. Some people still think he's a Targ supporter and that he wanted Dany on the throne all along.

Like I said, lots of opinions. But I think (I'm not sure) that the most popular opinion is that he's against the Targs

Ask yourself when he ever actually tried to get Danaerys on the throne? He brokered a deal that would have given Viserys an army of Dothraki. Thinking back to the original Viserys, is he the sort of person that could have successfully restored the Targaryen dynasty? Admittedly, we don't know the exact details of the plan, but I'm pretty sure Viserys nor Danaerys were ever the end game, just ways to achieve an end. Regardless, this deal died with Khal Drogo, but Danaerys still has value. Either as a way to legitimize Aegon or because she owns three dragons.

So why go through all the effort to hide them, feed them, shelter them, arrange the marraige with the dothraki if they were never going to invade?

They could be useful tools.

And it could be physiological. If people in Westeros are aware that there are Targaryen survivors in Essos it may seem less unbelievable that Aegon shows up.

So why go through all the effort to hide them, feed them, shelter them, arrange the marraige with the dothraki if they were never going to invade?

Because they really wanted them to invade. That's why they married Dany off to Drogo. Their plan was:

1. When Drogo was ready to invade, start a civil war in the 7K

2. The Mad King's son and daughter would invade the war-torn 7K with an army of savages

3. Aegon, the son of the beloved Rhaegar, appears and beat the crazy Viserys, his sister and his savages.

4. Everyone cheers and accepts Aegon as their true king

Also, I think IIIlyrio took Dany and Viserys into his home to hide them so other people like Doran couldn't contact them.

Its like a shell game. Dany and Viserys are the public and visible Targaryens exiles. Having them around gives a focus to both Targ supporters to keep support alive and Targ enemies to focus any anti-targ efforts on. This allows Aegon the time and secrecy to grow and develop with no bother from Targ enemies.

Its not a huge effort to keep Dany and Viserys alive and semi visible really.

The proposed plan to have Viserys invade the seven kingdoms with the Dothraki, creat a total mess, then have Aegon come in to save the day seems like a clever double play - if Vserys can get the dothraki over, then great, the plan goes ahead. If not, then they've still been the public face allowing Aegon to grow safely.

I'm not entirely sure if it really was a real plan or not, but it works both ways anyway. Robert and his council focus on Dany and Viserys and remain blissfully unaware of fAegon. And fAegon enters Westeros to clean up a huge mess, just as planned, its just not the mess they said they planned for.

Dany waking the dragons changed everything though. All of a sudden she's the most important targ, but no longer under their control.

Really bothers me sometime, it seems like George can't make his mind up what happened and just makes it up as he goes with out thinking about the previous story leading up to this point.

considering the amount of time it takes for him to write each book i reckon its probably the opposite, he probably over thinks everything

Illyrio received great gifts from Drogo for the arrangement of that marriage. They also thought Viserys and Dany will perish among the Dothraki who despise weakness. The assasination plan (and the Dothraki invasion in return) was always there. They never thought to give IT to Dany. But since the dragons are hatched, they are trying to marry Aegon to Dany which will provide Aegon undeniable proof of being a Targaryen and 3 dragons as a bonus. That plan also failed because they dont know Dany's character. Even Dany does not know herself. So the plan to take Dany as Aegon's aunt-wife to Westeros is slo9wly fading away. Aegon is surely mind-messed by Tyrion but he could never persuade the GC to start their campaign without Dany, if that did not suit what the big guys wish for.

So there we are. Illyro and Varys never showed open hostility to Dany and because of that they have the potential to gain her trust. However, Tyrion is the only one who can decipher their endgame and guide Dany in the right direction.

Archived