NFL 2013-14 Week 12: Brady-Manning-Pocalypse Now

DanteGabriel

I don't know where to start or where i will end, but I know I need more time to process this.

24 points down; the first three Pats opening drives end in three fumbles directly resulting in 17 points. THe Broncos tacked on another 7 before the half. That's 24-0.

Name me the team that can stonewall the Broncos and win that game? If you had told me one of those teams were the Pats, I would have said you were nuts.

But as the game wore on it became clear: the Patriots were handling that game better than the Broncos. As a whole, The Pats were tougher, they made more plays, they stopped more plays and they made fewer mistakes as the game wore on.

And then there was Brady v. Manning. And I know that Manning still has many games ahead of him and he is going to look great and the Broncos will be i the playoffs etc. But ...

Going into the Wind, Brady finished the game (IIRC) 17 for 23 for 202 yards and 2 Tds.

Going into the Wind, Manning went something like 10 for 22 for less than 100 yards.1TD INT.

As the game wore on, you could see it wearing on Manning. He put a great drive to tie the game up in regulation, and that was legit, but otherwise? Everything looked wrong; he could not cut the ball through the wind; the Pats did not respect the pass at all, and they were right. Brady looked- hands down - like the better QB. He was more accurate (68% to 53%), more yards (344 to 150), more TDs (3 to 2), less INTs (0 to 1), more yards per pass (6.9 v. 4.2). When the game was so CLEARLY out of reach, Tom Brady made the throws that kept the team barely alive, then, he reached out and did everything you should to win a football game.

The other guy... looked old. He looked slow, inaccurate, his quick release seemed strangely absent; he could not throw deep at all. Meanwhile, Brady looked about as good as he has looked all season.

I know I am overstating this but lets say right now- right this second - you had to build a football team and you had to pick between Brady and Manning at QB. Knowing the playoff picture... who would you pick? And remember, the Superbowl this season is being held outdoors in New York... IN FEBRUARY!

Before last season, had you asked me that, I would have said, "Toss up." But after tonight? Can we agree that Peyton Manning;s "invincible Armor" has a Smaug-sized chink in it right around when the weather gets "a wee-bit cold? What is the Broncos identity after this loss? Remember what happened to Houston after they got crushed by the Pats last season? They have yet to recover. The Broncos seem REALLY suspect; they have to be lacking any semblance of confidence. Manning seems like a guy who may have a real problem as the cold weather takes a toll on his aging arm.

Then again, the Broncos could still win it all. Just ... you gotta feel like that is a far far far less of a foregone conclusion than it was 4 hours ago.

Other stats:

-Its the largest comeback in Patriots history; largest comeback in Tom Brady's career.

-Over past 50 years, teams are 5-485 when trailing by 24+ at halftime

-Tom Brady out threw Manning today... both of them... combined.

I also thought the Pats would ave been 8-3 by this point. But I would have been wrong about all their losses.

I am stunned the Pats won. But, I guess... Brady happens

Rough, rough day on the north coast. This offense is putrid.

Taking a look around the NFL, as a Browns fan I have to

1. Root for Houston to win a game.

2. Hope Cleveland does the smart thing and lays down against the Jags.

3. Hope the Falcons lose out.

If all that happens, we have a shot at making a deal with Atlanta and grabbing Bridgewater. If Atlanta doesn't land the top spot, we're fucked.

Is that the first time since the new OT rules that the team that won the toss deferred? Is there a way to look that up?

May be the first time since the new OT rules, but Peter King also tells us that last night was the 11th anniversary of Marty Mornhinweg's infamous deferral in OT.

May be the first time since the new OT rules, but Peter King also tells us that last night was the 11th anniversary of Marty Mornhinweg's infamous deferral in OT.

Bengals should have done it against Baltimore when the winds were really bad and no team scored into the wind. They didn't and lost.

Taking a look around the NFL, as a Browns fan I have to

1. Root for Houston to win a game.

2. Hope Cleveland does the smart thing and lays down against the Jags.

3. Hope the Falcons lose out.

If all that happens, we have a shot at making a deal with Atlanta and grabbing Bridgewater. If Atlanta doesn't land the top spot, we're fucked.

Looking at remaining games, we have:

Texans (lowest SOS of the bottom three, or so I've heard): Patriots, @ Jaguars, @ Colts, Broncos, @ Titans

Jaguars: @ Browns, Texans, Bills, Titans, @ Colts

Falcons: @ Bills, @ Packers, Washington, @ 49ers, Panthers

I wouldn't bet on the Falcons finishing with the worst record at this point...

Is Rodgers expected to be back soon?

Archived