Who has the best soliders

The Black Hawk

On average, they're the same.

There are some differences, but I think it averages out.

-The Northmen and Dornishmen are hardier in their respective climates

-The Ironborn have ferocity

-The Vale and Reach perhaps field more knights

-The Marcher Lords seem to have strong, martial men. They may also have a tradition of good archers, seeing how #1 and #2 in archery at the Tourney of the Hand both come from the Marches (Anguy, Balon Swann)

Where? How many? Who is commanding? What is the motivation? There are too many variables to answer accurately. IMO the North has the best soldiers due to southerners being soft and arrogant while the ironborn are undisciplined and ill-equipped. Another group you might want to consider is soldiers Essos and Wildlings.

-The Marcher Lords seem to have strong, martial men. They may also have a tradition of good archers, seeing how #1 and #2 in archery at the Tourney of the Hand both come from the Marches (Anguy, Balon Swann)

The Dornish are very good at fighting in Dorne but I don't think that translates to skill in combat.

This. I never really believed the whole "Northern Superiority" thing. Though naturally they would fight better in northern conditions than the southerners. They're all about the same quality imo. The real differences would be in the quality in armor and weapons.

I'll run down the list and assess each region's soldiers based on it's merits and then make a final judgement.

- North. Northern soldiers have a significant advantage in their homeland due to the fact that living in the cold north takes specific survival skills that you wouldn't learn unless you lived there. As far as equipment goes. The books seem to suggest that the northern soldiers are armed minimally. They have decent armor, decent weapons, decent mounts, etc... Yet they aren't on par with some of the Southern region's equipment. This takes a few points away from them but a plus is that they have a patriotism that other armies don't have. They fight for a cause they support and believe in unlike some other armies who are just there because their lord said so.

- Iron isles. The Iron born are pretty much identical to the northmen. They have considerable skills at sea but this doesn't really help all that much when you consider that most of the fighting is done on land. Their equipment is probably on par with the northmen but not with, say the Lannisters. Something else that goes against them is their lack of discipline. They are raiders not conquerors. On the bright side at least they (like the northmen) are really patriotic and truly believe in their cause.

- Vale and Riverlands. I'm lumping them together because they are probably nearly identical. Both have reasonable discipline, good equipment, about the same amount of troops, etc... One difference is that I think the Vale has more knights. You get that feeling that the Vale is full of Knights were the Riverlands aren't so bountiful.

- Rock. Lannister soldiers are said to have high discipline and excellent equipment. The only bad thing for them is that it doesn't seem like they really care for the reason their fighting. They are just doing it because they are getting paid.

- Reach. The reach is said to have the biggest army in the seven kingdoms. Not much is said about the soldiers themselves though. I would imagine that the wealthier houses have soldiers on par with the Lannisters and other houses just have regular old soldiers.

- Stormlands. Not enough is really said about the Stormlands. I would think that they just aren't that unique. I would think that they are similar enough to the Riverlands.

- Dorne. The soldiers of Dorne are quite different then any of the other kingdoms. For example while most units use swords and axes, in Dorne the standard weapon is a spear. I would think that the soldiers of Dorne have excellent discipline.

On a scale of purely how good each region's soldiers are this is how I'd rate it with 1 being the best. (this is not counting population advantages)

6. Stormlands. They just don't seem to be remarkable in anyway. Just your average units.

5. Riverlands and the Reach are tied. Although I'm sure the Reach has many well trained soldiers, the majority are probably just regular unites so they would be on par with the Riverlands.

4. North. Even though they aren't super super well equipped they do have a certain terror that they achieve when they fight.

3. Iron Islands. Pure savagery puts them on number 3 and that's it.

2. Dorne and the Vale are tied. Dorne has good soldiers and so does the Vale. It's really not possible to decide who would win.

1. Rock. They are just well disciplined and armed and in any army that's what it really comes down to.

final note: It really isn't possible to decide who has the clear advantage. Most of these unites are so close in terms of skill that it doesn't really matter who is better at combat but more matters on who makes the first mistake so in reality it's anyone's game.

This. I never really believed the whole "Northern Superiority" thing. Though naturally they would fight better in northern conditions than the southerners. They're all about the same quality imo. The real differences would be in the quality in armor and weapons.

Yep, but winter is coming, and Northern conditions are spreading South...

If it was just a bare naked one on one death match I would have to say an Ironborn would come out on top most of the time.

Harsh climates make tough people.

Plus the breeding habits of the Ironborn leads to the strongest men collecting the best females and the weaker men having none/dying.

A strong guy/captain takes the best/most salt wives.

The are literally no differences between any of the Seven Kingdoms in regards to soldiers in general. If you'd ask for the differences between Navy, heavy cavalry, outriders or whatever branchers, yes, they tend to prioritize different strengths.

But overall, they average out pretty much identical.

Let's narrow that down. Three sided melee, Northern, Ironborn, and Stormlandic warriors in one battle. Who wins?

Chance.

Crannongmen and Dornishmen are the best. Who cares about ferocious assaults or awesome swordmanship, when you can just stab/shoot the enemy with a poison-covered blade. Then you can sit down and wait until your target dies.

Who has the most skilled warriors in Westeros personally I think the North, Iron Islands and Stormlands

Warriors? Probably the North, Dorne, or the Ironborn.

Soldiers? Probably the Reach. Or the Westerlands. The wealthiest and most populous regions.

Rome didn't have the best warriors. They wrote of the ferocity and sheer size of the individual Germanic tribesmen. But they had the most discipline, which translates well into tactics.

For soldiers in large units, nothing is more important than discipline and technology. The wealth of the Tyrells and Lannisters probably gives rise to the most disciplined and well equipped SOLDIERS, if not

Individual warriors.

Archived