Casting in your head, who looked like who?

BitsOfBrains

Sometimes when I read characters, my brain assigns them familiar faces. Sometimes its people I know (like a girl I knew for Ygritte) and sometimes its famous people like these.

Jon Snow was a young John Stammos.

King Robert was like a dark haired John Goodman.

The Queen of Thornes was Estelle Getty ("Ma" on "The Golden Girls")

Reek was Steve Buscemi.

Sansa was Alison Hanigan (the flute girl from "American Pie", "Willow" from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer")

The Blackfish was Chuck Norris.

Anyone else have this sort of thing?

When I was reading the books the first time (around 2003), I mentally visualised Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Sean Bean as Ned. All the other characters I just pictured as GRRM described them. On the whole, I've been pleased with the casting decisions. As a rule, even if the actors didn't look just like the character, most actors in major roles were sufficiently able to inhabit the role and make the character look more like them. At least, that's what I found on my first re-read, which was after Season 2.

When I was reading the books the first time (around 2003), I mentally visualised Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Sean Bean as Ned. All the other characters I just pictured as GRRM described them. On the whole, I've been pleased with the casting decisions. As a rule, even if the actors didn't look just like the character, most actors in major roles were sufficiently able to inhabit the role and make the character look more like them. At least, that's what I found on my first re-read, which was after Season 2.

Yeah like the guy who plays the Roose, he doesn't look like how he's described in the books but his performances are very close to how I imagined he would be. Disturbingly tranquil.

Edit* forgot Charles Dance as Tywin! Doesn't look like book described Tywin but acts like I imagine Tywin would.

I read all of the books after season 2, but still picture Illyrio as the Spice King, who I believe was originally cast to play Illyrio.

I also cannot imagine anyone else being Oberyn except James Purefoy, despite how vastly different their appearances are described as.

Though I saw the show (season 1) before I read the books, I still envision Cersei as Charlize Theron, Mance as James Purefoy, Margaery is a brunette Holiday Grainger, Stannis is Mark Strong (though I also love Stephen Dillane), Euron is Mads Mikkelsen.

I also picture Cersei looking like Chalize Theron. I don't really picture any other characters as certain actors.

I don't really imagine book characters as famouse people unless i have seen a movie or tv series that portrays the character before i have read the book.

I watched season 1 and 2 before i read all the books so all the characters from ASOS to ADWD that aren't in the first two seasons of the tv series i imagined...

I imagined Tormund a lot fatter than he was portrayed in the tv program...

I imagined Mance a bit younger and better looking than he was on the TV show

I imagined Ramsey as a lot fatter as well with a wider smile and a stubble and grease all around his stubble and mouth

I imagined Quentyn Martell as a little bit like Prodrick Payne

Archived