Whats up with the Jorah dislike?

Tyrion1991

We could construct a worksheet on this but I doubt GRRM thought it through to anywhere near this level of detail...

But a different oxygen ratio would mean different sizes of animals (and humans).

Exactly. Also, a faster spin rate may influence the planets core thereby creating greater magma flow that may in turn have significant volcanic activity. This would create airborn particulates that could influence the hydrogen/oxygen balance as well as have an effect on climate.

I suppose what is creepy is that Dany is very small, and very slender, for her age. She eats like a bird, and Missandei calls her "such a tiny thing". So, when she turns up in Pentos, she's 12, she probably looks about 9 or 10, 50 year old Illyrio can hardly keep his hands off her, and Viserys wants to rape her. When she marries Drogo, she looks about 11, and Jorah is drooling over a girl who looks 12.

Being small and slender doesn't have to mean looking younger. Viserys said she was starting to have a woman's body (though it's not clear to what extent). It's more about having curves (or not) and a mature face (or not). We don't know how mature or not she looks.

Being small and slender doesn't have to mean looking younger. Viserys said she was starting to have a woman's body (though it's not clear to what extent). It's more about having curves (or not) and a mature face (or not). We don't know how mature or not she looks.

Dany seems to think her breasts are small. In one of her later chapters in Clash apparently her small breasts moved freely under her vest.

I suppose what is creepy is that Dany is very small, and very slender, for her age. She eats like a bird, and Missandei calls her "such a tiny thing". So, when she turns up in Pentos, she's 12, she probably looks about 9 or 10, 50 year old Illyrio can hardly keep his hands off her, and Viserys wants to rape her. When she marries Drogo, she looks about 11, and Jorah is drooling over a girl who looks 12.

And Illyrio has made an agreement to marry this tiny thing to a huge man who is devoted to slaughter, pillage, and rape. The fat cheesemonger is plotting this business with Varys. The spider, like any member of the small council, is all "for the realm," right? He shows this by planning an invasion of the realm by a horde of bloodthirsty savages. Viserys, the "true king," also lusts after Dany. He has always maintained that Targaryen blood should be kept pure. That's why he doesn't care if thousands of savages and their horses fuck his only living sister. Of course, he should have her first.

Across many posts in many threads, I have maintained that Dany "fits in." She definitely has serious faults as a ruler. I believe that, given the recent history of the seven kingdoms and the current situation there, she does not stand out as the worst possible monarch of the bunch currently contending for the throne. More than that, the place appears to me to be a society on the edge of collapse, if not actually in the process of collapse.

I'd also say that Jorah "fits in." I don't find him creepy compared to a lot of other characters. He is obsessive in his love affairs. He has a slavish devotion to Daenerys. This, at least, is a personal failing. I do not find it as problematic as some of the vows taken in the seven kingdoms. Said vows are supposedly great and honorable things. More accurately, they bind men to a kind of moral slavery.

I kind of hope Jorah reluctantly, but heroically puts Dany down after she goes completely mad and threatens the Seven Kingdoms. Kind of the ultimate way he could get over her, and it would be best for Dany at that point to be killed by someone who loves her and is practically family, rather than a Jamie Lannister. But that's probably too clean and too Wolverine-Jean Grey. I just hope Jorah lives long enough to get over his issues with women.

In fairness to Jorah, Dany was sexually active, and very happily and publicly so, when he fell for her. Not that it's a blanket excuse obviously, but she was both confident and sexual. Much less creepy than Hound fixating on prepubescent girl who doesn't even get what a "song" means in his vocabulary. Dany is also in position to stood up for herself with Jorah.

Dany seems to think her breasts are small. In one of her later chapters in Clash apparently her small breasts moved freely under her vest.

But small compared to what? Many women have smaller than average breast all their lives, it doesn't mean they look like children. Nine year old girls normally don't have breast at all.

What if Dany remains small and relatively small-breasted all her life? It's not like that makes her literally a child.

Again, getting past the ages, since the author said sexual maturity = adult in his world, and I don't see what tiny and boob size has to do with anything, that's not what's the matter with the Jorah thing. It's that she doesn't want him. If the interest is mutual, that makes all the difference. Dany said "he can never have me" - and she never wavered from this.

In fairness to Jorah, Dany was sexually active, and very happily and publicly so, when he fell for her. Not that it's a blanket excuse obviously, but she was both confident and sexual. Much less creepy than Hound fixating on prepubescent girl who doesn't even get what a "song" means in his vocabulary. Dany is also in position to stood up for herself with Jorah.

I don't think that there is a common agreement on what exactly "song" meant in his dictionary.

If you think it meant sex, as some fans do, I disagree.

But small compared to what? Many women have smaller than average breast all their lives, it doesn't mean they look like children. Nine year old girls normally don't have breast at all.

What if Dany remains small and relatively small-breasted all her life? It's not like that makes her literally a child.

I've always wondered, if you really have small breasts, do they actually move under your clothes. It's been such a long time since mine were small, but I seem to recall they didn't do much moving until they filled up a bit. ;) Sorry, OT but I've been thinking about stupid things like this.

I've always wondered, if you really have small breasts, do they actually move under your clothes. It's been such a long time since mine were small, but I seem to recall they didn't do much moving until they filled up a bit. ;) Sorry, OT but I've been thinking about stupid things like this.

It's one of those moments when you're reminded that the author has no personal experience on some matters. ;)

They move. Not much but they move if you walk. They won't do the Gainix Bounce or anything. And they certainly don't move enough for one to notice.

it just means she is under the impression that they are small. Its not something that i woild really question into much

If the Milk Men thought her such a savage, she would dress the part for them. When she went to the stables, she wore faded sandsilk pants and woven grass sandals. Her small breasts moved freely beneath a painted Dothraki vest, and a curved dagger hung from her medallion belt. Jhiqui had braided her hair Dothraki fashion, and fastened a silver bell to the end of the braid. “I have won no victories,” she tried telling her handmaid when the bell tinkled softly.

I think he's saying when in Rome... She's dressing as they dress, to play the part. They move freely, she's moving freely.

I think he's saying when in Rome... She's dressing as they dress, to play the part. They move freely, she's moving freely.

But isn't this... the exact opposite of "when in Rome"? She's turning away the Quartheen gown and wears the latest Dothraki fashion to show the Milk Men that she is the savage they think she is. More like showing them "the fig"... :)

Not where she is, but who she's with. She's dressing like "her people":

Jhiqui disagreed. “You burned the maegi in their house of dust and sent their souls to hell.”

That was Drogon’s victory, not mine, Dany wanted to say, but she held her tongue. The Dothraki would esteem her all the more for a few bells in her hair. She chimed as she mounted her silver mare, and again with every stride, but neither Ser Jorah nor her bloodriders made mention of it. To guard her people and her dragons in her absence, she chose Rakharo. Jhogo and Aggo would ride with her to the waterfront.

I was trying to show there's more going on in that passage than the size of Dany's boobs. :)

So I did a search on "small breasts" and there's Dany, and Shae, and Margaery. Each time, it sounds flattering, or certainly not unflattering. I think he's just mixing it up there.

I was trying to show there's more going on in that passage than the size of Dany's boobs. :)

So I did a search on "small breasts" and there's Dany, and Shae, and Margaery. Each time, it sounds flattering, or certainly not unflattering. I think he's just mixing it up there.

I think by 'small breasts' he means somewhat smaller than average, firm - not something close to flat-chested. It's meant to be attractive.

Archived