Whats up with the Jorah dislike?

Tyrion1991

While I'm not a fan of the character, I find it slightly weird that people think he's creepy because he finds Dany hot. Plenty of other characters find 13-14 years old girls hot; Sandor, Drogo, Tyrion and Littlefinger, and of these only the latter is singled out for his creepyness (which goes above and beyond Jorah's). And all of these characters act on these lusts to a greater or lesser degree. Sandor is just as creepy to Sansa than Jorah is to Dany, but because Sansa likes him back it's OK?

But beyond that, yeah he's just not a very relatable character. Escaped slaver? That got repeatedly blinded by love (something that is never acepted unless the character is young and hot)? Has a creepy vibe? Overprotective of a young character? These are not recipes for a popular guy. Hell, we even get his dad being utterly dissapointed and him bad-mouthing Ned Stark just to rub salt in the wound. Jorah is pretty much doomed from the start in terms of reader sympathy. I don't really like him, but I like his greyness. He's a very human character, with all the flaws that implies. We all have thing we are ashamed off, stuff that we want to act on but that is inappropriate, and it can't always be something as epic as hiding the secret heir to the kingdom from everyone and sundry, if you catch my drift.

Its just hard for me to have any respect for him. Grabbing Tyrion and trying to drag him to Dany because that might earn her favor? Pathetic. Dude should have sold his sword to any of Dany's enemies when she threw him out. And while it would have made bad story, he should have taken Tyrion to Cersei. He kind of deserves what he gets. Hard to see where his story goes now.

Honestly I thought it was a little creepy that he was with a whore in Volantis who looked exactly like Daenerys.

That's honestly what put up THE red flag for me. No, he shouldn't have sold anyone into slavery-- but it's not like he was Kraznys or anything. Yes, he should have backed off from pursuing Dany sexually or romantically. He was maybe a few shades darker than "average grey" in those regards but it was nothing I found remotely shocking in the ASoIaF universe. But him being with the whore who looks just like the teenager whom he lusted after and got exiled by? That's just really creepy wish fulfillment and the dude has taken quite the downward spiral.

I can't imagine Jorah ever being "satisfied" with one woman completely.

Like sure Dany is his love now, but what about in 20 years when she's not so young anymore?

He'll see some other blonde 14 year old girl and tell her she is the most beautiful woman he ever met yada yada yada

What?

Where does this come from?

Jorah does have some redeeming characteristics to him, due to which I really tried to like him in the beginning, but after a while I just couldn't. He just is... a really really really sad dude. :(

Jorah does have some redeeming characteristics to him, due to which I really tried to like him in the beginning, but after a while I just couldn't. He just is... a really really really sad dude. :(

Sums it up I guess.

Right now, I can't comprehend why exactly anyone would like him, you can sympathize with him, but liking him is impossible. And the sympathy comes more for being in the friendzone rather than the whole Lynesse affair.

Honestly I thought it was a little creepy that he was with a whore in Volantis who looked exactly like Daenerys.

I liked/felt sorry for him right up until the point with Tyrion in the brothel. Before that I thought he actually does care about Dany and is just awkward and bad at showing it, after I realised she looks like his ex-wife who he's still obsessed with and I saw how messed up Jorah is.

Not only is he creepy as fuck but he's bloody disrespectful. Instead of begging for forgiveness or apoplogising, the man has the nerve to argue with Dany when she finds out he'd betrayed her.

Show some contriteness man. It's a wonder she didn't execute him.

You people are freaking out about the prostitute way too much. Clearly he has a type. And it just happens to be the type that most of their known world qualifies as the hottest, and Tyrion appreciates the selection.

Anyways, I like him. Don't really feel that sorry for him, which is I guess unusual. He's survived a lot that would have sounded the bell for many, and he's still swinging. Where hasn't he been? Guy's lived.

You people are freaking out about the prostitute way too much. Clearly he has a type. And it just happens to be the type that most of their known world qualifies as the hottest, and Tyrion appreciates the selection.

Anyways, I like him. Don't really feel that sorry for him, which is I guess unusual. He's survived a lot that would have sounded the bell for many, and he's still swinging. Where hasn't he been? Guy's lived.

jorah the explorer

Not only is he creepy as fuck but he's bloody disrespectful. Instead of begging for forgiveness or apoplogising, the man has the nerve to argue with Dany when she finds out he'd betrayed her.

Show some contriteness man. It's a wonder she didn't execute him.

This. :ack: I just hope Ser Bezoar won't go near Daenerys again (though he likely will).

Archived