How have you started reading the aSoIaF books?

Lady-Nymeria

Watched the first few seasons, but I fell out of it. I was at my friend's grandma's house (a rickety, ant-infested shack) in Bermuda this summer, and they have like 5 copies of each book. So, I basically borrowed them all from him when I got back, and I finished them all in just a few weeks.

Wow, 5 copies of each book! They sound like dedicated fans indeed. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

My sister is my personal guide to all good fantasy books, and I wanted something with dragons and something on an epic scale. So she said I needed to read ASOIAF, so here I am :thumbsup:

Last year, I found out about the show before I found out about the books. I've watched the show, every episode to date and it usurped the throne from Breaking Bad as my favourite TV series. The show is so good that I haven't bothered to read the books until now, and I'm already glad I started. The fact that I've seen the show drains some of the mystery from the book, unfortunately, but I'm learning so much I never knew. The writing is phenomenal, and I regret not reading the books earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

Beings as its my first post I might aswell post about how I first came about A Song of Ice and Fire.

I had been urged by my friends for quite a while back in 2011 to watch the TV show 'Game of Thrones'. I didn't listen and when I was going around my friends flat in 2013 was introduced to a few episodes, from series 2. They caught my attention so I bought the box set of series 1-3. I was hooked, and had finished them all within a few days. Not long after series 4 came out and I waited weekly with deep anticipation.

I now find that I have watched them all 5 times over (addicted, right?).

A friend has been reading the books recently, who told me I should start, as I have a serious GoT addiction (I havent read or even so much as picked up a book since I left school and was forced to read around 5/6 years ago).

I left it a year before I started reading the books, and I would recommend anybody to read the books before they watch the series. You learn more about the characters and their back stories, and the reasons they do what they do. I bought the first book aGoT 2 days ago, and am already almost finished. Come friday I will have all the books, and no doubt by the end of the year I would have read them all through at least twice.

I actually watched the first three seasons on HBO GO before I decided to man up and read the books. I'm almost done with the first book, and I must say that they're pretty well written. It took me a bit to get used to how they talked and how the world was described, but I got the hang of it. Only a hundred pages left before I can start A Clash of Kings!

I started reading the series when the first book came out. This board did not exist at the time.

I read GoT straight through, and then went back and read each POV's character one as if it were a book.

When the second book came out, I started getting characters mixed up. I made index cards for each character, reading Clash the same way I read GoT. That grew as each book came out. I have two 18' 3x5 card index boxes filled with notes on characters. prophecies, and dreams, etc. I have cross-referenced them. Yes, I am old school.

Then this Board came to my attention, and I added things. I might point out that there are short stories and a book out there that give you little hints as to the story line as well.

I have purchased and watched two seasons of the HBO show. I had read LotR many, many times before the movies came out. I do not want anything from the HBO show to shade what I have read. I understand Martin has told the HBO folks how the book series will end. I don't want the television series giving me "hints" or telling me things that may or may not happen in the books. Like I said, I am old school.

Have fun reading them.

In July or August 2011 just before my senior year of high school, two of my football teammates started joking about how "Winter Is Coming" and at first I thought it was just a joke seeing as it was summer. Then I asked about it and they suggested reading Game of Thrones. I read the book on and off for most of the school year, finally finishing that spring and not starting a Clash of Kings until the following year when I got to college. Again slacking on the reading it took me about a year to finish, but once I did I moved right on to Storm of Swords. After I finished that I got through AFFC and ADWD pretty quickly, and I finished those about a year ago. I didn't start watching the TV series until I was reading ASoS and now I'm just as big a fan of it as the books.

I watched the Tv show first and thought it was excellent. So then I wanted to find out more about the characters I found most interesting like Jaime, Theon, Sansa etc. and so I bought the books and realized they were about a million times better than the show! I still love the Tv show but yeah...the books are much better.

Just finished the Game of Thrones book.

Big fan of the HBO show and afterwards I really enjoyed the histories and lore specials on youtube.

Also liked looking over the maps and reading about the details of the GoT world.

Figured I'd naturally like the books.

Just finished the first one today- overall it was a pleasant read.

It was mostly consistent with the show, I'd say about 80%.

I'd heard about the TV show, but for some reason I though it was some episodic stuff like Merlin, and being based on a book I assumed it to be awful. Well, in the summer of 2012 I was bored and decided to watch the first episode. After 5 minutes, I was already hooked. There's not many shows that have two beheadings and a plain old death shown in the first five minutes. Removed my delusions of it being anything like Merlin. In the end it took me three days to watch the first two seasons, perhaps two weeks before I got GOT, and around two months to read the first five books.

• 2 weeks later...

When the show first came out and started to gain momentum, GOT was all over the place. I started hearing whispers on how awesome and great the series was.

I used to read A LOT when I was younger, but life and other priorities started to take precedence over fantasy reading. When I heard about this series, it sparked my interest and I picked up the first book (first fantasy novel I picked up in half a decade) on my Nook, and I've been hooked ever since. I'm now back to reading like I did when I was younger (as time permits, of course).

This series is more than an epic book series to me. It's personal....it's the series that brought me back to engaging in one of my childhood passions. I'll always hold this series in high regard for how it's helped bring life back into me.

• 2 weeks later...

I started out as a big fan of the tv-series. And to warm up for the new season, I decided to start reading the books. I'm nearly done with GOT, and I love the amount of detail. In some cases it really makes me forget about the tv characters.

I read GoT straight through, and then went back and read each POV's character one as if it were a book.

I think I'll follow your lead after I've read 2 - 3 books, to get an even better feel for the characters.

My husband tried to get me to read the books in...2006 or 2007. I attempted to, but got bored and put them down after about 60 or 70 pages.

He then told us that we would be ordering HBO after they announced that they were making it into a show. I was like "whatever".

We watched the first season. I was interested, but not enough to read the books.

I finally decided after the second season of the show that I wanted to know what happened next...so I picked up book 3 and read by skipping around. It was only then that I actually got interested in reading the books. I didn't read them in order, though...I mainly read by storyline or POV.

It's a pretty good fantasy series...not my favorite, but still good.

I started reading the series when the first book came out. This board did not exist at the time.

When the second book came out, I started getting characters mixed up. I made index cards for each character, reading Clash the same way I read GoT. That grew as each book came out. I have two 18' 3x5 card index boxes filled with notes on characters. prophecies, and dreams, etc. I have cross-referenced them. Yes, I am old school.

Then this Board came to my attention, and I added things. I might point out that there are short stories and a book out there that give you little hints as to the story line as well.

I have purchased and watched two seasons of the HBO show. I had read LotR many, many times before the movies came out. I do not want anything from the HBO show to shade what I have read. I understand Martin has told the HBO folks how the book series will end. I don't want the television series giving me "hints" or telling me things that may or may not happen in the books. Like I said, I am old school.

Have fun reading them.

:bowdown: close to being the best post i have ever read on this board... :bowdown:

Archived