How have you started reading the aSoIaF books?

Lady-Nymeria

I felt there are some limitations due to resources & time to present more of the characters and stories on the TV show. So now I am reading the first book-Game of Thrones. Always wanted to see more and more from the characters. Wanted to create my own picture of people different than what I see.  And I like the fact that it's written from a point of view. 

Certain characters from the TV show persuaded me to start reading the books.

1. Stannis Baratheon- It seems to me that there's more to this character than what I saw on television. At times he seemed even like a borderline naive/honorable person with some of his actions, and then he kills his brother. Later on, again it seems like he shows some reasonable side to him, but burns his daughter alive. Then he dies and that's it. It seemed that show runners didn't want to waste time with this guy and didn't care too much for him. Most interesting thing is-he WAS the rightful King after Robert died. Was George Martin's intention to do all of this with one guy and kill him? I doubt it. So, I wanted to see if I was wrong but yet I'm about to discover.

2. Roose/Ramsay Bolton- These are portrayed as totally fucked up people in the show, but I read somewhere that it was NOTHING compared to their portrayal in the books. How did these guys swim under Ned's watch on the North, not attracting anyone's attention with what they really do? Plus, also there is supposedly more of them altogether with Theon + the original Reek. I want to check this all out.

3. Jon Snow-wanted to check out his POV.

4. Tyrion Lannister-his POV also.

There is more and more, but I prefer to gain knowledge from both books and TV, so I would be able to see a bigger picture and make the difference.

I read 'The Hobbit' when I was five or so, and continued devouring classic fantasy and mythology, and a lot of pulp sword'n'sorcery, to the point I was burned out by my late teens. Then I did a degree in medieval history, and didn't want to spend my leisure reading on anything similar.  

Ergo, I managed to avoid the books, and don't have Sky, so missed the show, too.  However, I do have YouTube. And one day I was looking up quotes on chaos theory, and a clip of a smirking gentleman popped up.  Curiosity and my fatal weakness for the smartest asshole in the room prompted me to finally buy the books.  

(I am usually steered away from shows with swords in, because I spend a lot of time yelling at inaccuracies and stupid footwork.  With all the dragons and ice zombies, I can relax a bit.)

On 5/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, SeaWitch said:

. And one day I was looking up quotes on chaos theory, and a clip of a smirking gentleman popped up.  Curiosity and my fatal weakness for the smartest asshole in the room prompted me to finally buy the books.  

:D

2 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Ha!

The leisurely consideration of the finer points of the text.

*More tea?*

I'm with CSL - there is never a book long enough, or a cup of tea large enough. Though George is doing his best with the former.

36 minutes ago, SeaWitch said:

I'm with CSL - there is never a book long enough, or a cup of tea large enough. Though George is doing his best with the former.

I'd be happy with a ASOIAF at least twice as long. There are so many tales to tell in Planeteros, so many places to visit.

23 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

I'd be happy with a ASOIAF at least twice as long. There are so many tales to tell in Planeteros, so many places to visit.

Some places appear to be lifted out of Lovecraft, maybe give those a miss... 

2 minutes ago, SeaWitch said:

Some places appear to be lifted out of Lovecraft, maybe give those a miss... 

Ha! You are so right.

Asshai and environs sound horribly familiar, yes.

The Iron Islands hold little attraction. Nor Skagos, nor...

You're familiar with this meme, of course.

http://cdn.emgn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/GoT-emgn-9.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Ha! You are so right.

Asshai and environs sound horribly familiar, yes.

The Iron Islands hold little attraction. Nor Skagos, nor...

You're familiar with this meme, of course.

http://cdn.emgn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/GoT-emgn-9.jpeg

Hee! No, actually, but...accurate.  

There is a Leng somewhere, too. And the Cult of the Starry Wisdom. The world base is very Robert E  Howard.

I think I'd probably like Braavos. It seems less psychotic than most of the world.

9 hours ago, SeaWitch said:

Hee! No, actually, but...accurate.  

There is a Leng somewhere, too. And the Cult of the Starry Wisdom. The world base is very Robert E  Howard.

I think I'd probably like Braavos. It seems less psychotic than most of the world.

That's true, I hadn't thought of it. Very Robert E Howard.

Still, Lovecraft has those lyrical moments that sometimes I miss in ASOIAF

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/ws.aspx

Oh, absolutely, Braavos. A city founded by those who rejected Valyrian slavery and Valyrian dragons.

Iron Bank and the House of Black and White.

Canals and theatre.

Sounds good.

Archived