How have you started reading the aSoIaF books?

Lady-Nymeria

• 1 month later...

I finished the Lords of the Rings books earlier this year and was looking for somethign else to read.

Never watched the TV series of GOT, because I figured I wouldn't like it. But because I really enjoyed the LOTR books I thought I'd give GOT a try too (being fantasy and all). Started to watch the show at first but after a few episodes decided to read the books first.

Currently at about 3/4 of AFFC and as for the show I've just watched episode 3 of season 4. So still some catching up to do :)

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in grade 6, I had to pick a sci-fi or fantasy book to do a book report on. I was 12. I had planned on reading The Hobbit, but I tried reading that before and didn't like it very much. I do remember the year before, I had read the prologue to a book called A Game of Thrones, and while I liked it, I didn't think I'd have the time to read it. But now would be the perfect excuse to read it. I was expecting something like Harry Potter.  :D

Since then, I've re-read bits and pieces of the books, and it is clear now that I had missed out on some details at 12. I hope I can do a proper re-read soon.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I caught the 1st season of the show at the end of 2011 and then binged on the books and finished in 3 months. I wanted to make sure I read them all by the time the second season came out....and well they're so addictive.

• 4 months later...
On 9/23/2017 at 5:14 PM, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

The show put me on to the novels, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Thought at this point, I prefer the novels, over the television adaptation.

Same here, I binge-watched the entire TV series by this time last year and have re-watched several episodes ever since. As everyone, I noticed how weird the show got from season 5 upwards although I didn't dwell into it that much. Cersei became pretty much my favorite character, even so before I started watching the show as a whole just by looking at clips of her.

And so I looked at her ADwD POV chapters just to know what was going through her mind during the walk, and then I couldn't get enough of her so I looked at her AFfC chapters as well: exquisite, hilarious, scary, infuriating, bold and MUCH more all at once. I was shook, still am, and couldn't help but notice how wholesome everything is compared to the show. Everything that happens has a reason and isn't just there as a plot device. I looked for reviews on her chapters and some youtuber mentioned The Fandomentals and how Cersei (née: Carol/Cheryl) is a central point of discussion for them, I went there and read a lot of articles from them and realized how pointless/dumb the majority of the show is.

After all that, is that I started to read the books proper. Currently, I'm more than a half in ACoK.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Watched the first couple episodes of the show at my friend's house, and thought it was cool. Unfortunately, I had no way of watching the show on my own at the time, so I got the first book from the library.  Probably spent more time reading that than I ever have. After I read AGoT, I couldn't find the second one (I live in a small town) and it was a new school year starting, so I didn't have the time. A little while ago, I was looking for something to read, and thought back to aSoIaF. I went out and got the rest of the books, and now I'm reading ACoK!

And that's how I got here :)

• 3 months later...

I heard about the hype of the show so I bought the whole book series without knowing if the books were good. (thank god they are).

I actually just started reading the first book for the first time a couple days ago. I tried multiple times to try but failed but I am currently on page 350 and loving the book.

Started reading them after S1, but was a year late watching the show. Someone, for some reason, had suggested the show to me after I told them I enjoyed the adaptation of The Name of the Rose. Seven years later and I still don't understand how they came to that suggestion... 

So I read GOT immediately after watching Season 1, then ACoK in a couple of weeks before Season 2 started, and finished them all within the next month. I'm a slow reader and also tend to get 'fatigued' with the same thing after a while, so I'll need a break from that particular genre I'm reading. I don't know how I did it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Probably I shouldn't admit this, (most people treat it as a dirty little secret), but for me it was fanfic that got me into the series.  Some author I liked (can't remember who) wrote a crossover fic with a fandom I read. I took a chance, got hooked, read other crossovers, and eventually transitioned to pure GoT/ASoIaF fic. I loved it so much I went and bought the ebooks. This is actually how I get into a lot of books/shows/movies/etc. The one downside is that I was beyond spoilered plot-wise before I even read the first page of the proper books.

• 5 months later...

I knew the existence of the series for near 4 years. A friend of mine, who watched the series but not read the books, told me briefly about the main concept of ASoIaF and motivated me to watch the series. I haven't seen the series yet, but I finished reading AGoT last week. I am reading ACoK at the moment and enjoying it really much, especially the Tyrion POVs. 

Archived