Lady-Nymeria

How have you started reading the aSoIaF books?

145 posts in this topic

When the show first came out, everyone had an opinion about it. That GRRM was as good as Tolkien, that he wrote such realistic characters. Or that he was just appealing to the masses and writing predictable characters in manufactured shades of gray. So I decided to see for myself.

I finished the Lords of the Rings books earlier this year and was looking for somethign else to read.

Never watched the TV series of GOT, because I figured I wouldn't like it. But because I really enjoyed the LOTR books I thought I'd give GOT a try too (being fantasy and all). Started to watch the show at first but after a few episodes decided to read the books first.

Currently at about 3/4 of AFFC and as for the show I've just watched episode 3 of season 4. So still some catching up to do :)

When I was in grade 6, I had to pick a sci-fi or fantasy book to do a book report on. I was 12. I had planned on reading The Hobbit, but I tried reading that before and didn't like it very much. I do remember the year before, I had read the prologue to a book called A Game of Thrones, and while I liked it, I didn't think I'd have the time to read it. But now would be the perfect excuse to read it. I was expecting something like Harry Potter.  :D

Since then, I've re-read bits and pieces of the books, and it is clear now that I had missed out on some details at 12. I hope I can do a proper re-read soon.

The show put me on to the novels, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Thought at this point, I prefer the novels, over the television adaptation.