How has the forum changed your opinion of the characters?

Chaircat Meow

It almost sounds like you're saying 'bra' over and over again. It's funny lol.

And Ned had true love for Catelyn, not Robert. He and Robert shared one thing in common; hatred of politics and stuff that requires too much dark thinking. That's a personal theory, btw, I haven't taken it off anywhere.

I don't think Ned ever loved Cat the way Cat loved him.

The show is not the books, please don't judge him based on the horrid and highly biased Interpratation of the two show runner dudes. That scene never happened in the books and as far as I'm concerned was a fluke.

yea I guess it would be unfair on my part. But how painful was that scene though, if I had watched season 3 before reading the books I would just see him as a lusty pretender. :smileysex:

I don't think Ned ever loved Cat the way Cat loved him.

I think its the other way around. Cat really wanted Brandon but when he died she learned to love Ned instead. I don't think Ned ever had any other loves or was even ever with anyone else for that matter.

I don't think Stannis fans are blind at all. If they were blind and there was truly very little reason to like the guy I'm sure I would not have 'switched over' from being a total Robb fan to an even bigger one of Stannis.

From what I have seen, the BA quotes and the slogans etc are just the Stannis fans' way of expressing their most simple sentiment; that they love Stan the Man. However, it doesn't end at that; we provide reasoning for liking him, as a character and as a part of the story. As a character he has good qualities; he has a code of honour which he does his level best to follow, even though like all other men in his world (Ned the Man being one of them) may make mistakes because of how strictly he follows it. But you can see the willpower and determination he has here. He has a temper (and for a guy who's had a shitty life, why won't he? Keep him to human standards please) which almost made him take some horrible decisions earlier on in the series, like the Edric Storm situation, but he got guidance and he didn't throw it off completely (Ahem ahem, Dany and Cersei).

And moreover, he learns. He listens to advice from Davos and weighs it against Melisandre's brutal advice. And for a guy known for being so darn stubborn it shows he is making a real effort to become more flexible. Flexible in his personality as a person and as a King (going North, there's a reason his enemies didn't expect that).

And then there's the service he does to the story. While Dany runs off with the storyline in as far and meaningless a direction as possible, while Brienne tries to connect the paths of characters (Sansa, Jaime, Stoneheart) and fails for a whole book, while Tyrion heads through a book's worth of a journey to end up just short of meeting Dany before she rides off on a dragon, Stannis connects storylines.

He's brought the war to the North. An endless problem of this series is how some locations seem to be detached from the real deal. Stannis fixes this issue. Asha, Theon, Jon Snow, Boltons.... It is Stannis who is bringing these storylines together,

While he plays the Game of Kings, that everybody has been playing, he also fights the war against the Forces Beyond the Wall, something I am sad even The Ned did not do.

Those are my reasons please don't call me a blind fan :D

good points, other than the last one, I don't think you can really say stannis bringing characters together is something good he does deliberately, that's just the way the story's written, stannis didn't purposefully go to all the places in the north to meet other characters that's just how grrm writes his story, if he wanted to he could write it so cersei goes north and meets jon. theon and asha, it just happens that in his story stannis does these things

really? Because you're practically his entire PR department.

Yeah, I know. Just a cool quote.

Jon's been doing it, and he didn't even need to enslave and beat a young girl to bring it. Dany's doing it Essos. Aegon's been taught extensively about the merchant classes who lead the Free Cities, and Tyrion knows better than most about power structures. There's also Doran, whose comments about the equality of the Water Gardens seem like something to be developed later on.

Not wishing to spam, but this is an interesting point which would/could make a pretty good thread I think. There are a myriad of social changes that are taking/beginning to take place in the world of ASOIAF. I think the Great One is potentially laying the foundations for another one (not out of any ideological calling), but not as radically as Jon/Daenerys etc.

I don't know if this is encroaching on navel gazing territory, but I am kind of curious why Stannis is such a cult figure on here.

To be honest I don't think Stannis' cult status begins and ends on these forums. Have you ever seen the Stannis memes that are all over websites like Tumblr, Reddit? Hell just type "Stannis memes" into Google Image search and you'll find a goldmine of essentially Chuck Norris jokes with Stannis replacing Chuck Norris - he's basically ASOIAFs equivalent of that, the "memetic badass" if you will.

Yes. I always kinda felt indifferent about Stannis. Now i just dislike him, because of all the fanatics on here! (sorry guys :grouphug: )

And i really hope all you people (you know who you are) stop talking about Tyrion riding a dragon. bleg, i don't ever want that to happen.

Yes. I always kinda felt indifferent about Stannis. Now i just dislike him, because of all the fanatics on here! (sorry guys :grouphug: )

And i really hope all you people (you know who you are) stop talking about Tyrion riding a dragon. bleg, i don't ever want that to happen.

eugh, that would be so awful.

What the forum did for me was highlight the POV structure and character views - before I hadn't really picked up on the fact that the chapters weren't so much an exposure on different characters, but that we were actually in their head. So yeah, you could say the forum did change my view a lot. :P

The character of which my opinion changed the most via reading the forum is definitely Tyrion. I liked him well enough after my first read (up to AFFC), but now my feelings for him border on loathing.

I was really surprised by Cat hate too, that came totally out of the blue for me. Ditto for the Stannis love, he's still a meh character to me.

The forums confronted me with my whitewashing of certain characters, particularly of Jaime, Sandor and Tyrion. Made me accept and appreciate again the greyness of their personalities and history.

To be honest I don't think Stannis' cult status begins and ends on these forums. Have you ever seen the Stannis memes that are all over websites like Tumblr, Reddit? Hell just type "Stannis memes" into Google Image search and you'll find a goldmine of essentially Chuck Norris jokes with Stannis replacing Chuck Norris - he's basically ASOIAFs equivalent of that, the "memetic badass" if you will.

The only one I know is Mean Dad Stannis. Not too flattering. But I never go on Reddit and I would expect him to be more popular there.

"Humans didn't build the Wall to protect themselves from the Others, the Others built the Wall to protect themselves from Stannis"

Big time lol. Saw this somewhere on a Facebook Stannis page. Great stuff.

Edit: Okay I think we should get back on topic a bit now. These forums made me actually like Theon Greyjoy, not just feel pity for him, but actually like the guy. And I always loved his chapters - best in ASOIAF. Such an enigma.

Not wishing to spam, but this is an interesting point which would/could make a pretty good thread I think. There are a myriad of social changes that are taking/beginning to take place in the world of ASOIAF. I think the Great One is potentially laying the foundations for another one (not out of any ideological calling), but not as radically as Jon/Daenerys etc.

I agree. There's nothing this forum needs more than a space to contextualize the pissant's enormities as laying the foundations for social change. I don't see that getting out of hand one iota. Better still, we can add Cersei's succession undermining to turn this thread into a super fun garden party.

I agree. There's nothing this forum needs more than a space to contextualize the pissant's enormities as laying the foundations for social change. I don't see that getting out of hand one iota. Better still, we can add Cersei's succession undermining to turn this thread into a super fun garden party.

Throw in Ramsey and you got yourself a heck of an OP.

Mostly, I started to see that not all the Targs were bad, but some in the past and anything that comes from Aerys line... yeah. I also hate dany even more. She is just so dumb.

I passed from hating stannis, to midly linking him, to be totally neutral, to disliking him slightly again. I can understand the guy, and his fans, but hell, he is just like a big boy, he is sad cause he never get the toy he wanted... tsk.

And also, I like Ned and Renly even more :P

Ramsay is a bastard who rises above his station to become Lord of Winterfell. Clearly a Renaissance Man of some sort.

Roose is the man who raises above his station - the thing is that he does it in the medieval way - by killing his superior. Ramey was raised by Roose - he achieved nothing on his own.

Roose is the man who raises above his station - the thing is that he does it in the medieval way - by killing his superior. Ramey was raised by Roose - he achieved nothing on his own.

Ramsay did take over Winterfell by pretending to be an ally then double crossing Theon once he got in. Which reminds me of another character who did something similar back at Kings Landing....

Ramsay did take over Winterfell by pretending to be an ally then double crossing Theon once he got in. Which reminds me of another character who did something similar back at Kings Landing....

Yep it was a smart move by Ramsey and whoever this mysterious other man is. A smart military move does not make Ramsey a Renaissance man though - he takes from others, a Renaissance man creates and so expands.

Archived