[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 5

Xray the Enforcer

I'm continuing to see parallels between her, Cersei and Jon. Jon, I think, is doing a great job at tactical positions, but their are a lot of people unhappy with him on the wall and he's not made some good relationships there, which I think will come to haunt him.

Dany is in a similar position but it seems that she is understanding that she has to make alliances within the city in order to keep her rule and keep peace. Should be interesting. I wish Quentyn would hurry up and get there though because I'm really interested in that meeting.

Agreed! Dany is doing her best in an impossible situation. If anything she is guilty of being naive. As to Dany's leadership skills - she is very young. I am the manager where I work, and learning how to manage people without them hating you is very difficult. As a leader you have to make a lot of tough decisions. So the Harpy's Son's hate her for freeing the slaves. One of my employees hates me cause I told her she couldn't talk on her cell phone all day at work. So? Wrong is wrong. Jon's men hate him for making tough decisions too. I don't think she's doing a bad job, she just underestimated what it would take to hold and rule a city. Next time she'll know better.

Yes it was a bad idea to take Mereen - but I completely respect what she felt she had to do. Freeing slaves is a very worthy cause. I'm not much of a moral relativist. Slavery is just plain wrong no matter what your culture. It's a reprehensible human rights violation. Who would Dany be if she didn't care? Dario? I was even almost about to throw my hands up when she didn't take Xaro's ships - until Jorah and Tyrion met the widow. I don't remember exactly what she said, i think "Tell her the slaves of Volantis are waiting."

This woman is extremely powerful. If she is in with the Red Priest and wants to help Dany... well Volanits and Quarth are both like 90% slaves right? With her power and influence she could throw a slave riot the likes of which the merchant princes have never seen. She could have her revenge, make the ships headed for Dany turn tail back to volanits, and free the slaves there herself - no need to wait for Dany!! She would make a brilliant ally.

Dany needs Jorah back so he can fight with Selmy. They work best arguing with Dany choosing a middle path. I don't know who the Three Heads of the Dragon will end up being, but right now the two heads Dany needs are Jorah and Selmy. And she really needs to Tyrion to train those dragons!

/ barely coherent rant.

• 2 months later...

I agree and am finding it difficult myself as an enormous Dany-Stan. I feel like there are better ways to show that she is struggling as a ruler than to have her go from every decision turning out perfectly (a storm of swords) to every decision turning out horribly (a dance with dragons).

I'm a huge Stanner, but most of my cautious regard of Dany has been beaten out of me by ADWD :(

Barristan has been giving her truly awful advice ever since he revealed who he really is:

1) Lock the dragons in the pits, then never go near them for her own safety (and unfortunately she heeded this advice).

2) Have a Tourney to make the people happy instead of opening the fighting pits (wtf?!?).

3) Meet the Yunkai in the open field (he seems to just want honor and glory).

Ser Barristan is a pale imitation of Ser Jorah in terms of giving useful advice. He knows nothing of Meereen, Slaver's Bay, or the free cities and doesn't seem to care to find out. Jorah knows about every goddamn culture in the world it seems. Sure Barristan's way less complicated to have around but... On that note, I am convinced that Dany will take Jorah back, now. She thought of him fondly this chapter and wished he were there.

1) I always figured chaining the dragons up was Dany's idea. She felt she had to do something after Drogon went OM NOAM NOAM on 'her' people (though ironically she failed to get the actual culprit), and in principle I never had an issue with it. My issue was she just forgot about them instead of trying to train them, teach them, and/or scour the historians and thinkers of Meereen for anything and everything that's known or believed about dragons. Even if she found nothing, I'd have greatly appreciated some on-page evidence that Dany is thinking of ways to deal with this obvious problem.

2) I actually LOLed at that. I think he did know it was futile, though. But then this is the same guy who - if he had his way - would have prevented Dany from hiring the Unsullied on whos backs she's built every one of her successes since and are critical to her ability to hold Meereen itself. I keep thinking Dany really should keep that particular bit of horrifically poor advice in mind when dealing with Barristan (though she does seem to realize fast that he's not as good as jorah)

3) Not a bad idea. We know the Yunkish suck.

Seriously. Fucking Daario needs to die NOW. I thought she was finally done with him after she sent him off last chapter for being a creepy bad guy but apparently he's just that hot.

Ah, the comforting warmth of a fellow Daario-hater.

But seriously, MDIND; wouldn't you be seduced by a man with naked women on his sword hilts if he just stood around in front of you grinning and stroking them lasciviously?

*hides*

• 3 weeks later...

I respect Dany. What she is doing certainly isn't in her best interests and sure, what she is attempting by trying to change the slaving ways of a foreign land she doesn't understand is basically impossible. But, the girl has morals and what she is fighting for is the right thing. I say that makes her a good ruler and an honorable person.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also find Dany's chapters boring. Given Dario's description I don't understand what she finds attractive about him. I loved her journey from naive little girl to fearsome Khaleesi and don't find it believable that she's now content to sit in one place making mistakes.

• 1 month later...

I am shocked how so many of you are letting your feelings about Dany cloud your judgement -- at least that's how I perceive it.

So you like her.

But "all her decisions until worked out" ???? Finally things are tough for her???

Her decisions have been wrong for the entire series and she has squeaked by in spite of them -- that is the truth of it.

If it wasn't for her choices -- Drogo would be alive and she'd have a son. She dragged her people through the waste and lost many. She makes enemies everywhere she has been. And she has totally lost her initiative.

While i think she is hot -- and by that I mean the actress - and at one point I was really rooting for her -- but no longer.

I feel sure GRRM will never let her rule. She is so flawed. And I really don't get why you guys love her so much -- at least not anymore.

Because she seems moral and is freeing slaves? If that is the point of this series...

• 2 weeks later...

Ohai, Asshai! I am new here and there is no "meet-the-peeps" thread that I could find, so I will plunge right in commenting.

While I never forget that Bran is only a little boy in our-world terms and not a man fully flowered, Dany swans around nibbling figs and freeing slaves and being Stormborn, so I do forget she's, like, 13-14. (Also due to the series upping everyone's ages, in part for sexytime purposes.) And I have no idea whether this is deliberate on GRRM's part--I think many of us tend to credit him for absolute control of every shading of every character--but her succession of dreamboys from big, stwong, grunty Khal Drogo to carved-woman-fingering bro Daario always plummets me back to the fact that she's a young girl, and kind of a trashy one at that. At first I found Daario an unlikely love interest because he's so showy and ridiculous, then I realized ... he's the guy at the club in an Ed Hardy T-shirt.

She likes the guidos, man.

Khal Drogo set a precedent for Dany she's following up with the weak sauce of that lasciviously grinning pain in the a$$. If she lives, I shudder to think what kind of wallet-chain-sporting, overgelled numbnuts she'll fall for next. And I just realized, she gets down with Irri when the going gets tough--sure, not for the viewing pleasure of guys around her, but still, Dragon Queens Gone Wild!

That is all. Thanks for being intelligent and thoughtful posters/fans. Now feel free to tear my post apart. :)

• 5 months later...

Poor Poor Dany, I mean she's a teenager bound to make some awful mistakes,adhere to some awful counsel i agree with ( MDIND) Ser Selmy should leave politicking to those who know how to play that game.Dany is definitely needing Ser Jorah back,she has a lot to learn about being a leader that kid,and hopefully she will get it together before she goes to Westros; if she ever makes it. And yeah somebody needs to stick Daario up d arse with the pointy end.

• 4 months later...

This chapter gives at least some hope for future chapters.

Daario totally driving me nuts please forget about him.

And indeed i would have liked at least some thought procces about her dragons because shes totally ignoring them.:(

Archived