is Hodor a Targaryen?

westie420uk

• 3 weeks later...

I actually read a very interesting post in general that suggested Hodor would end up accidently killing Bran, evidence by the nordic connection of Hodr (or something like that), a demi god hero who accidentally killed the God of summer or some such. I kind of realized I butchered what was once an elegant post, so I'll go find it and copy paste it into this thread :)

This is fascinating and more than a little mind-boggling for me. Martin definitely incorporates symbolism into ASoIaF, and I've always wondered why Bran named his direwolf Summer, unless it's because he will, true to his dream-conversation with the three-eyed crow, save the realm from the horrors coming out of the north (i.e., turn Winter into Summer).

I doubt Hodor has any Targaryen blood, but I'm willing to bet significant coin that he is descended from Ser Duncan the Tall, of the Dunk & Egg tales. Ser Duncan was 1 inch short of 7 feet, as measured by Aemon Targaryen. At the end of the 3rd story, "The Mystery Knight", Dunk and Egg are planning to travel to Winterfell next. In the 4th novella, I think we will find that Dunk and a She-Wolf of Stark blood develop a very close relationship, 90 years in the past.

I doubt Hodor has any Targaryen blood, but I'm willing to bet significant coin that he is descended from Ser Duncan the Tall, of the Dunk & Egg tales. Ser Duncan was 1 inch short of 7 feet, as measured by Aemon Targaryen. At the end of the 3rd story, "The Mystery Knight", Dunk and Egg are planning to travel to Winterfell next. In the 4th novella, I think we will find that Dunk and a She-Wolf of Stark blood develop a very close relationship, 90 years in the past.

I agree! In addition to this, GRRM said that one of the characters of ASoIaF descends from Dunk, and Bran sees him kissing a young girl in his first tree vision in Dance. I believe the girl is Old Nan, not a She-Wolf, but I guess we'll find out as soon as the novella is out.

Please help me, i think i am going mad! Is Hodor a Targaryen? I am sure i have read it somewhere in one of the 1st 3 books, but searching back through some of Bran's chapters i could only find out he is really called Walder & is the great-grandson of Old Nan. Does anybody know of his background?

I have heard it said that Dunk and Old nan might have once had a thing for each other. Maybe Hodor is Dunk's great-grandson.... they are both huge! That would be very awesome is if he is!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with vonstorm. Hodor was just a way to make Bran's story possible. Warging him is pretty cool, but we've all seen freak the mighty. The big dumb guy paired up with the weak smart guy is a trope as old as tales.

Edit: once again, my not being quite finished with the novellas has left me with less insight than I thought I had. Perhaps, with Dunk being physically similar to Hodor, and warging being as common as catshit in Winterfell, perhaps Old Nan was a skinchanger....

• 3 weeks later...

Hodor is the son of Hodor. His brother was Hodor who went to Hodor in the Year of the Long Hodor and rescued the Hodor from Hodor. It is very clear from holding a dog-eared copy of FoC to my head and reciting "Hodor, Hodor, Hodor" that Hodor is supposed to be the much prophesied Bringer of Hodor. GRRM just has to get him to hook up with Melissandre.

• 3 weeks later...

In Storm when they are at Tumbledown Tower and Bran suggests they go to Last Hearth or Lord Manderley's lands he notes that only Hodor likes the idea. Hodor could possibly be related to the Umbers(he's freaking huge like the GreatJon). And Hodor sounds a lot like Hothor. Maybe he was told Hothor was his forebear(father or grandfather), and can only frame to pronounce it Hodor

• 1 month later...

I really like the Hodor as a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall theory. Hope it's works out that way but I'm already sure Brienne of Tarth is a descendant of Ser Duncan. Would GRRM have 2 of them in the story? That Ser Duncan did travel a lot.

Anyway I think Hodor's purpose is allow Bran to warg into him during some big battle (like at the Wall maybe) and fulfill his wish of being a knight.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived