[Book Spoilers] Stannis the Mannis

Stannis kicking ass was a great addition from the book. That was one thing I never got from the books was that he was a great soldier - you heard it but you never saw it.

But jeez stannis if you are going to be first off the boat, first to the wall, and first up the ladder - could you put a freaking helmet on?

dont need a helmet when ou have your own personal guy to hold a shield over your head

dont need a helmet when ou have your own personal guy to hold a shield over your head

You don't need a helmet when the audience has to see who you are. Nothing to do with actual battle, everything to do with photogenicity.

A little unrealistic that Stannis was first on the ladder- those guys usually die.

But in the books, doesn't it mention that during the Greyjoy Rebellion, Stannis was the first one through the castle wall?

I thought I remembered that being mentioned by a character. Admittedly, that was when Robert was King and he was just a commander, but if that's Stannis's personality, it makes sense he'd try to lead the assault on the gates.

You don't need a helmet when the audience has to see who you are. Nothing to do with actual battle, everything to do with photogenicity.

This is a good point. Its so the audience can see the actors face. Its the same thing when you have a pilot not wearing his mask

I agree that Stannis would make a great king, but I absolutely cannot agree that he is the rightful king. The Targaryen empire built the 7 kingdoms, and my loyalty will always be to Fire and Blood!

Don't you all get it? There is no "rightful king." The only defensible society is the democratically elected Wildlings or perhaps the Night's Watch. You don't derive supreme power from some aquatic tart.

I was surprised he was the first up the ladder. Mad props to him.

Do we ever find out what happened to him in this episode?

Yes. He shows up behind the Wildlings months later. If HBO shows how this is done, we will get our money's worth.

But in the books, doesn't it mention that during the Greyjoy Rebellion, Stannis was the first one through the castle wall?

I thought I remembered that being mentioned by a character. Admittedly, that was when Robert was King and he was just a commander, but if that's Stannis's personality, it makes sense he'd try to lead the assault on the gates.

Don't think so. He was the fleet admiral and crushed the Iron Fleet at sea.

Book Stannis always led from the rear while Robert led from the front. I don't have an issue with the TV change, though.

Yes. He shows up behind the Wildlings months later. If HBO shows how this is done, we will get our money's worth.

I wonder if we'll see him before that. I suspect that we will. There will have to be some scene of him sulking on Dragonstone reconciled w/ Davos when Davos convinces him that he needs to think about the realm for the sake of the throne rather than vice versa.

But he won't have big role in S3, I suspect. He has a huge role in book 5, so it will be interesting to see how they handle the B4 and B5 split. Presumably they'll then them together for the show.

Seeing Stannis in such evidence only emphasizes how much of a Draco Malfoy he is among much of the fandom. I wish I knew how GRRM feels about the popularity of the character.

I don't think that is true at all. I don't think Martin writes these books like JK Rowling writes Harry Potter with obvious good guys and bad guys. Stannis isn't likeable, but he'd make a good king. That's reason enough to support him, and Martin has always portrayed him in that light. I don't think he'd be "surprised" that anyone supports Stannis because he doesn't write Stannis as an "evil" character like Malfoy is in Harry Potter. I think the analogy is horrible, honestly.

Don't you all get it? There is no "rightful king." The only defensible society is the democratically elected Wildlings or perhaps the Night's Watch. You don't derive supreme power from some aquatic tart.

Agreed. Martin pretty much skewers the whole concept of royalty and birthright in his novels. Any monarchy is only as good as the man who happens to be sitting his arse on the throne at any given time. The realm might luck out with a Baelor The Blessed or get fucked over with a Joffrey or Aerys II. Stannis is one of my personal favorites, but he would have made a terrible king in that he is far more concerned with his own personal honor, glory, and respect than the common good of the realm. Great general, lousy ruler ala President Ulysses S. Grant.

Oh yeah, back to the subject of the thread. I thought I remember reading in one of the novels that Tywin and Stannis, unlike the reckless Robert Baratheon, tend to lead from the back of the line vs. charging into the fray. So, while it was pretty badass to see Stannis scramble up the ladder and lop off some heads, it does seem to contradict his book persona.

Archived