Sandor Clegane

Robb_

Monk Sandor is going to be the faiths second champion when they discover Robert Strong's identity. It is known.

Hurrah! I certainly hope you're right, E. Musketeer. Btw, your photo always makes me grin. You're like a royal ninja turtle.

Monk Sandor is going to be the faiths second champion when they discover Robert Strong's identity. It is known.

I don't know, would he even be allowed back in King's Landing after he fled his post during the Battle of Blackwater?? I don't think anything in the world would make him want to go back to that hellhole. I may be the only one who doesn't want him to have to fight Robert Strong, as I'm almost certain it would be dire for anyone involved. :[

Oh, I think he's still alive, I just don't think GRRM will be bringing him back anymore. His part of the story is over.

I think he will play a rather large part still. At the end of AFFC, Qyburn makes allusion to an unbeatable champion that he is I believe creating in the black cells. I think he has basically created a Frankenstein's monster type of creature out of The Mountain. I believe that The Hound will come back from the "dead" and finally get the chance to kill his brother (although how much this creature will actually resemble The Mountain in terms of anything but looks is anyone's guess).

I know I am in the minority here, but I have to say I really hated Sandor Clegane and I hope he stays dead. I felt he was petty, coldhearted, and driven by greed and revenge. He killed whoever he wanted, almost raped Sansa, and his sole desire in life was to make his brother suffer. I see all the signs that he is probably still alive, but I would rather he were dead.

i like the Hound :( I just finished reading this chapter. figured he was going to die..but i thought it would be i don't know more important...not just some one saying he did. I was hoping he would hear about sansa and go find her and you know..be her protector...oh well..so i'm just going to assume everyone's going to die except Cersei.

No way that SANDOR is dead (yes, the Hound is) - there are so many hints that he is alive (I will not list them because other posters already mentioned them quite well, but remember Brother Narbert's reaction when Brienne told him she will put an end to the Hound... - Narbert seems to know Sandor as well....). IMO, the EB wants to keep Sandor on the QI (see: his impressive speech to Brienne, his efforts to give up chasing the Hound and to send her back home) - but for what purpose? Is the EB "cooking his own soup.."? Is he in contact with the High Septon in KL (personally, I doubt this and I doubt that EB would send Sandor as the fighter of faith against RS). I am sure (= hope) that Sandor will face RS in another place: defending QI, defending Sansa with Jaime, Brienne and the Blackfish... Well, this would be great...

I didn't like Sandor at first but when he rescued Sansa I started to feel that maybe he is not such a bad guy.

Now his brother Clegane is a low-life, amoral, revengeful, evil loser - among many other things that I do not have enough space to list at this time. Clegane is definitely not redeemable but I think Sandor is and I think our precious, sweet Sansa is the one to do it. C'mon, wouldn't it be nice to see a, "beauty and the beast," storyline?

Besides, I would like to see Sandor kill Gregor. A sweet revenge for the burns he has worn for most of his life. So, who doesn't like a plain old revenge story, too?

I think Sandor could be a very important part of a future storyline, especially Sansa's.

I have to say the clues towards Sandor's fate are rather blunt to the point of being deluding.

-The Septon saying he himself died at the Trident.

-The limp

-The dog

-Sandor's horse Stranger

I agree that all of these indicate that Sandor is alive, but the Hound is dead. I really enjoyed his character and am pleased to think that he is alive, but I'm also happy with his story ending here. What made him such an interesting character to me was the duality of his nature and how those two parts struggled against each other. He was brutal, and yet he still had a certain morality. His story can end because finally one side won out over the other.

*Spoilers from a third of the way through AFFC*

I just finished the chapter in which Brienne and the Elderly Brother are talking in her chambers, and I'm so annoyed that The Hound does actually appear to be dead... I knew that it was not him who had attacked Saltpans, but I was fairly certain that he was still alive just because he was so awesome and we never seen him die "on screen".

Ah well, another of my favourites bite the dust. No doubt one of Sansa, Arya, Jon or Brienne will be next :(

Well, it's my impression Sandor is still alive only because of the allusion the Elder Brother gives when talking about his own "death" as a former knight who fought for Prince Rhaegar. If you reread it, he speaks of how he was sorely injured in the battle, but was washed away in a river and saved by the septry. That's when his life as a knight ended, as well as the person he used to be. Now he only goes by "Elder Brother". Perhaps he allowed Sandor the same fate in giving up "The Hound" and all his hatred and anger and starting anew as a brother of the septry.

Well, there's a theory that he's still alive ...

He's the gravedigger on the Quiet Island.

That's what I thought, too, when I read that passage about the gravedigger. It makes no mention of how his face looks, so I assumed he never took off his hood...

• 1 month later...

i like the theory however i can see a couple of flaws.

In Brienne VI

1) The Elder brother states that "I covered him (Hound) with stones to keep the carrion eaters from digging up his flesh"

If the elder brother was speaking metaphorically of the Hounds death then he couldn't have buried his flesh.

2) The elder brother says "to many corpses these days" " our gravedigger (singular not plural) knows no rest"

the war had started well before Sandor could have arrived to be the gravedigger, so there would have to be a previous gravedigger as well. As such it should say gravediggerS.

I know this is only small and perhaps a gramar error

I personally hope that Sandor is not dead, i think it would be nice id he found his purpose and got to finish off Gregor in a noble way.

Awesome idea. It is known.

I absolutely agree that Sandor is going to be pitted against Gregor - RS. But i believe Sansa is going to save SANDOR this time - by flying in on a dragon (to be ridden by one brother and two sisters ) and MELT GREGOR AWAY. woo freaking hoo!

I think the man we all knew is worm food, I had a love/hate relationship with Sandor and even times I could feel for his pain. But even though he did some good I still felt that it didn't make up for everything he did that was just evil.

Sorry. GRRM doesn't make a character THAT GOOD and not do anything with him yet. He's alive. his hateful self died. and THE ELDER BROTHER has healing hands better than Maesters. note the ELDER BROTHER. he finally got one that cares about him.

Archived