On my third reading of A Game of Thrones - amazing how much you pick up

NewJeffCT

I just started my re-read and already the first chapter left me teary eyed. The Stark men together, alive, happy...The direwolves as snuggly little babies. Robb joking and carefree. Bran riding a horse and so excited to be included in the party. Jon always polite and considerate. Ned a loving father. I love this family so much!

Of course the joy is short lived, the Lannisters are already in Winterfell and now I have about 5000 pages of misery to go through...again.

Just started my first re-read and I was thinking the exact same thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Happier times,i started watching the series first before i even bought the books. From the time i saw Sean Bean as Ned Stark i knew his character wasn't long for this world, Sean Bean dies in almost everything! One think is true the Stark family is forever change, i do hope there is justice for them.

I've recently re-read GoT I was really amazed too with so many things I've missed on the first read.

There were also some 'forecasts', if we can call it that, that I was surprised when I read:

ADWD SPOILERS (dunno if they're needed in this section)

In Sansa's chapter after Ned's beheading she looks at Janos Slynt at the court and thinks about a hero coming and chopping his head off. Well... that was his fate, except that Jon wasn't her ideal hero

and

When Catelyn enters the Twins to talk to Lord Walder Frey and she says: 'he would do me no harm if he wouldn't profit from it'...

(I don't have the book here so that's not the exact quotes)

• 2 weeks later...

when you pay attention to smaller details.

Just last night, was reading Mirri Maz Duur saying how she learned her trade from this place & that, and then dropped the name "Maester Marwyn" I was like, "Holy $@! - that's the Archmaester from the end of A Feast for Crows that's going to see Dany!" (you'd be even more amazed if you knew how rarely I cursed...)

And, things I had forgotten, like that Edmure was captured by Jamie in AGOT, then later rescued.

Not to mention how many times I said, "what if?"

What if Ned had followed Renly's advice and taken Renly's 100 swords and struck at Cersei to capture Joffrey, Tommen & Myrcella? (Granted, Renly rode out of town with 50 swords, including Loras... but, some could have stayed in the city). Cersei would have risked the North, plus Highgarden & the Stormlands uniting against her if she attacked Ser Loras and Renly.

Or, what if Lysa Arryn had chosen a better champion, like Lyn Corbray? Bronn is good, but I thought it pretty clear that Vardis Egan was old, slow and overmatched. Maybe good in his day, but clearly not the best knight there and well past his prime.

oh, and a ton of others, too.

Just thought I'd get some of that out there.

Very interesting post, especialy your what if reguarding renly. I have always wondered if Ned had sidedwith Renly tthen what would the gold cloaks have done???

• 1 month later...

I'm also rereading AGOT, but I'm a bit confused. Jaime Lannister gets promoted to Warden of the East and it is mentioned that he'll inherit Casterly Rock. I thought later on in the books it's mentioned that as a member of the kingsguard you can't own anything? I can imagine that as Warden of the east you also have certain obligations that are difficult to combine with being a member of the Kingsguard? Did some of the kingdoms in het east actually joined the war on the Lannister side (I can't remember, the Vale certainly didn't)? What am I missing? Can somebody clarify?

Re-reading AGOT and like everyone else am amazed all the characters that were introduced here that I didn't pay that much attention to the first time around. It has me wondering...could Robert Arryn be Littlefinger's son? It is driving me crazy looking for clues. Has anyone else had this thought? The boy is six, small and sickly. All those years at KL, Lysa and Littlefinger plotting and planning.

I'm also rereading AGOT, but I'm a bit confused. Jaime Lannister gets promoted to Warden of the East and it is mentioned that he'll inherit Casterly Rock. I thought later on in the books it's mentioned that as a member of the kingsguard you can't own anything? I can imagine that as Warden of the east you also have certain obligations that are difficult to combine with being a member of the Kingsguard? Did some of the kingdoms in het east actually joined the war on the Lannister side (I can't remember, the Vale certainly didn't)? What am I missing? Can somebody clarify?

I was thinking about that on my third time through as well, but figured I'd get blasted on here if I asked about it (why didn't you look in the FAQ?) or similar. My guess is that GRRM changed things after book 1, or else most people in Westeros don't realize that the Kingsguard can't inherit land. (Forgot whose POV that chapter was - Bran or Jon maybe?)

NewJeffCT - I hate to tell you, but you have fallen into the vortex that is ASoIaF. You will be rereading and posting like mad. You'll want to make all of your friends read the books so you can talk about them. You'll eat, sleep, and dream about Westeros. There is no help for you now. There is no cure.

Enjoy! :cheers:

"There is no cure". Your quote is so great! I do live, eat , sleep and dream about it too. Now that I'm re-reading AGoT, I'm hoping that I'll understand CoK easier the second go-round.

What if Ned had followed Renly's advice and taken Renly's 100 swords and struck at Cersei to capture Joffrey, Tommen & Myrcella? (Granted, Renly rode out of town with 50 swords, including Loras... but, some could have stayed in the city). Cersei would have risked the North, plus Highgarden & the Stormlands uniting against her if she attacked Ser Loras and Renly.

I have wondered this myself many times.

Ned turns Renly down because, according to the law of succession (taking into account that Joffery is a bastard), Stannis is the rightful king. Ned chooses his honor over making a move that would have definitely been more advantageous to himself and his family.

But then, before all of KL, Ned chooses to forsake his honor after all and proclaim Joffery the king.

If he had just caved EARLIER!

He never did have a talent for playing the game.

Poor dead Ned....

"There is no cure". Your quote is so great! I do live, eat , sleep and dream about it too. Now that I'm re-reading AGoT, I'm hoping that I'll understand CoK easier the second go-round.

Speaking of having A Song of Ice & Fire on my mind even when I'm not reading - where I work, the woman that is assisstant to the company CEO has a last name of "Elia" and every time she sends out those company-wide announcements, I keep thinking of Elia of Dorne, and I will mentally call out "EEEEELLLLIIIIIAAAAA!!!" (Yes, I know that was her first name in the books...)

Archived