CHICAGO AREA BwB

Lady N, any suggestions you might have would be most welcome.

Should I make a separate thread, or should we keep it here?

I think, at least for now, just keep it to this thread. That way we don't have to hunt down multiple threads to keep track of everything. Also, we can get Jaxom to edit the thread title with the party date once we get to October.

There are a few other people from the board in the Chicago area but they never seem to check the BWB forum so we generally need to PM them to draw their attention to things going on around here.

As for suggestions...you totally need an Iron Throne! And lemon cakes! Actually I'm good with decorations so if you need any help, let me know.

I think a list thread is a good idea as long as I'm not stuck with Zombie Catelyn.

ROTF! Actually maybe that costume could be banned from this party? I mean it might traumatize smegma and I too much.

Bummed I missed this, but I just found this site. Would be down for a meetup next time you all get together. I was introduced to the series through the HBO show, and really didnt get sucked in until close to the end. Then I couldn't wait to learn what would happen so I had to read the books. Got all 5 books June 18 and finished them earlier this week. Now I need to find ways to kill the next decade or two until the books are wrapped up. Meetups could be fun!

Hi Kavel, Welcome to the BWB! Hope you can join us at some future meetup. Are you in the city?

I think we should all try to get together sometime in September. smegma should be done with the book by then so we can actually talk about Dance this time! And it would be good to have a meetup halfway between now and the Halloween party.

I'm in Europe from 9/4 to 9/18. Any time before or after that is fine, though later afternoon is better for me than early afternoon, since Saturdays are still long run days until the Chicago marathon on 10/9/11.

Hi Suzette, Welcome! Hope you can join us next time we meetup. Especially since you can make lemon cakes...yummm!!!!! Are you in the city?

As for the next meetup, based on dates when people are gone...how is Saturday October 1?

Hi Suzette, Welcome! Hope you can join us next time we meetup. Especially since you can make lemon cakes...yummm!!!!! Are you in the city?

As for the next meetup, based on dates when people are gone...how is Saturday October 1?

I am indeed in the city. Northside, Andersonville.

Hi, all! Another Chicago (area now...northern suburbs, formerly long-time River North resident) poster here.

Suzette and I know each other from the now defunct Sandor Clegane Appreciation Thread, and I can vouch for her lemon cake-making prowess. I need to learn how to produce an Arbor Gold or something. Must contribute! :cheers:

Hi, all! Another Chicago (area now...northern suburbs, formerly long-time River North resident) poster here.

Welcome! I'm so excited to see so many posters from Chicago appearing here.

Anyway I've thrown out October 1st as a possible afternoon when we can all try to get together in some yet undetermined pub in Chicago for eating, drinking, and chatting.

Also, Greyjoy Rebellion will be throwing a Halloween party on October 29th where we are to come dressed as something GOT related. So start planning your costume!

In the meantime, you don't have to wait for me to plan a meetup. If you know of some fun event that we might enjoy or you just want to get together, just throw it out here.

Anyway I've thrown out October 1st as a possible afternoon when we can all try to get together in some yet undetermined pub in Chicago for eating, drinking, and chatting.

Also, Greyjoy Rebellion will be throwing a Halloween party on October 29th where we are to come dressed as something GOT related. So start planning your costume!

In the meantime, you don't have to wait for me to plan a meetup. If you know of some fun event that we might enjoy or you just want to get together, just throw it out here.

How exciting! :laugh:

I am free for October 29th Halloween party!

I do work October 1st. :tantrum: 7am-3:30pm, but free after 3:30pm on that day.

I think, at least for now, just keep it to this thread. That way we don't have to hunt down multiple threads to keep track of everything. Also, we can get Jaxom to edit the thread title with the party date once we get to October.

Let me know when you need it changed!

I'm in Ohio on Ocotber 1. We gotta look at some times that are NOT Saturdays. The Wedding Season doesn't end until Thanksgiving!

Awesome, thanks Lady Narcissa! I already have plans on the 1st, but these things have been known to change so I'll keep an eye out for details just in case. :thumbsup: The party on the 29th sounds like a blast, but it's my stupid birthday *grumble, grumble* so I'll be doing something, I suppose, with my husband. (I'm not grumbling about doing something with my dh, just about this specific birthday.)

Awesome, thanks Lady Narcissa! I already have plans on the 1st, but these things have been known to change so I'll keep an eye out for details just in case. :thumbsup: The party on the 29th sounds like a blast, but it's my stupid birthday *grumble, grumble* so I'll be doing something, I suppose, with my husband. (I'm not grumbling about doing something with my dh, just about this specific birthday.)

October 29 is your birthday? That's an awsome birthday IMHO!

I'm open October 1st. And if we want to do it on a day other than Saturday, any day after 5 works for me, except Tuesdays.

Also, October 9th is the Chicago marathon, so that day's out for me.

I am free for October 29th Halloween party!

I do work October 1st. :tantrum: 7am-3:30pm, but free after 3:30pm on that day.

Awesome! Any idea for a costume yet????

Do you work near downtown? Last time I think we met up around 3pm so it you weren't too far away it shouldn't be a problem. We can maybe pick a location near your work if its central.

Let me know when you need it changed!

I'm in Ohio on Ocotber 1. We gotta look at some times that are NOT Saturdays. The Wedding Season doesn't end until Thanksgiving!

If you see this, can you email me at the_lady_narcissa at yahoo dot com? With PMs still down the easiest thing would be if I could email you when the title needs to be changed.

Also, just let us know what would be a good date for you so we can try to arrange something that isn't on a Saturday!

We'll keep October 1st for now but if people have a date/time that works better for them, please feel free to pitch it. Also we can always add to the October 1st meetup instead of making it an either/or. Plan something and someone is bound to come!

Hey you Chicago area folks -

you know WorldCon's going to be held in the Second City starting August 30, 2012, right?

here's the website:

http://www.chicon.org/

I hope that some of you will be helping the convention committee plan and prepare for the influx of fans and pros from around the world. Contact the committee - even offering to put up flyers or handouts at your local events, putting up announcements on your SIG groups forums that WorldCon is coming to Chicago would be appreciated. The more times people hear about the WorldCon from multiple sources, the better.

Are you planning on helping the BwB with our own events and parties? Great! Ca't wait to see what you all come up with!

For those who don't know a lot about WorldCons - we have plenty of people who can give you information if you need it.

If you haven't already, do buy your membership as soon as possible. Membership rates go up on September 30th. If you discover later you can't attend, it is possible to transfer your membership to another person.

Having either an attending or supporting membership in ChiCon 7 will give you the privilege of nominating and voting for the 2011 Hugo awards. You will also get the Hugo voter e-book packet - which will include a collection of the stories that make the final ballot. That packet alone is worth the cost of a membership.

Membership rates go higher the closer we get to the convention dates. WorldCon committees would prefer to have you buy your membership now rather than at the door. There are many expenses that have to be paid long before the doors open for the convention, budgets are set 6-3 months before the convention starts based on what money the committee has on hand at that time. No smart convention committee would hope that they could close the gap in their budgets by expecting that X number of people will turn up at the door and pay the highest rate. So please consider getting at least a supporting membership now. If you do convert to an attending membership later, the money you paid for a supporting membership will be deducted from whatever the current cost of an attending membership is at the time you convert from supporting to attending membership.

Just touching as many bases as I can, to encourage folks to be involved in the WorldCon when it is in their area. It can be a lot of fun, can give you the chance to meet new friends, develop or deepen your skills you use in your day to day work, and when it's all over, you can say 'you know that awesomeness that was ChiCon 7? I helped make it so damn good'.

Have a great Halloween party, that sounds like a lot of fun, don't forget to post pictures!

Parris, the old-tyme fan girl and Speaker to Bros on all things WorldCon.

I can do the 1st, but after 3pm.

The 29t is tougher for me, as that is the night of my best friend's big annual Halloween party, which is a huge friggen deal - that whole weekend is chock full of plans, but I will do my best to try to at least make an appearance. No guarantees on my costume though :)

Archived