Sample chapter in ADWD paperback?

Archmaester

how does that not make sense, he's only got 300 pages written and some of them is a aeron chapter, we've seen four other chapters already... how many chapters are left in that 300 pages it was a simple process of elimination to say that.

300? Last thing I read was 200.

I think it will be a damp-hair chapter, the only reason i can see for this not being the case is if he had already chosen the chapter to go in the paperback and did not want to reuse it after reading it out at the convention when he gave a choice.

(had three to give out - chose one for paperback - gave choice of other two)

It's the Theon chapter that George put up on his site.

So, if it’s the Theon chapter, is the Maester Tybald still identified as being from the Dreadfort rather than from Karhold?

The Dreadfort.

I am really looking forward to the Dreadfort/Karhold argument to be settled! My opinion is that it is the Dreadfort.

Sansa or Sam. Anyone but the Damphair.

I used to hate the POV's of the Iron Born, but after a second reading of the books, I came to appreciate them more.

We know we won't get Mel or Jon or anything to do with the wall. Unlikely to get anything to do with Meereen... IE no Barristan or Tyrion or Victarian (he didn't reed the end of the Victarion chapter for a reason. Something big happens that we will need to wait for the novel to see...) Unlikely to see Bran as he is close to a big reveal I think...

So my big hope would be for Sansa or Davos. Arya could be interesting too. I want to know where they're sending her

I hope there is a Jon POV right away. There has to be some consequences for Bowen Marsh, Wick Wittlestick and any others involved. Will any men loyal to Jon successfully arrest them?

I'd forgotten about Sam. That would be an interesting chapter. His story and the story in Citadel in general is the one most wrapped in mystery at the moment.

In regard to the Aeron chapter, I thought it might be interesting if it gave us some idea what Euron has been up to.

Sam has a lot of studying to get his links. We may not hear much about him right away. I think we'll hear about Victarion before Euron or Sam.

I think the new chapter could easily be Tyrion I or Victarion I, which I believe hadn't been read when GRRM said that there would be a new chapter. My hope is for an Alayne or Sam chapter, though.

I hope there is a Jon POV right away. There has to be some consequences for Bowen Marsh, Wick Wittlestick and any others involved. Will any men loyal to Jon successfully arrest them?

Most of the men loyal to Jon, he sent away to man one castle or another. I imagine that Tormund would want to have Jon's back, but he'd also probably be wary of starting a fight with the Night's Watch that could leave him surrounded by enemies. I'd expect a tense standoff between pro-Jon forces and pro-Marsh forces at least for the first few hundred pages of TWOW.

Sam has a lot of studying to get his links. We may not hear much about him right away. I think we'll hear about Victarion before Euron or Sam.

I don't think that Sam's story is going to focus primarily on him getting his links. First off, he's just been introduced to a small conspiracy of people who are tracking the magical events in the world with great concern, one of whom is a magical assassin under deep cover with an unknown agenda. That seems like it offers greater plot fodder than studying the composition of urine. Second, that would create an odd tonal mismatch. Imagine if you go from a chapter where Tyrion is trying desperately to get the Second Sons to switch sides before the battle at Meereen to a chapter where Sam is trying to get the Citadel to recognize his credits from Highgarden Polytechnic so he doesn't have to retake Alchemy 101.

I am really looking forward to the Dreadfort/Karhold argument to be settled! My opinion is that it is the Dreadfort.

Maester Tybald is definitely a Maester from the Dreadfort, GRRM made no mistake. I can't wait till that is proven, but of course, even when it stays the same, some people will probably still insist that it was a mistake he made, and did not notice to fix.

Edit.

I also like the Ironborn chapters.

• 1 month later...

I posted above that I thought Damphair but gave different reasons, I'd like to add that since grrm was willing to read a damphair chapter when he read the arrianne chapter he is probably also willing to put it in the paperback version. While he's actually given us 4 whole chapters from winds they were all originally in dance and I doubt we will get any anything thats too revealing, a damphair chapter could add suspense by telling us that euron did in fact go with the iron fleet, or by telling us he's about to raid oldtown or something like that and ending the chapter right before something actually happens like the victarian chapter

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

i just wanted to ask if there is a release date for the US paperback. I couldn´t find anything reliable so i thought why not asking the community about a release date :bowdown:

Hey there,

i just wanted to ask if there is a release date for the US paperback. I couldn´t find anything reliable so i thought why not asking the community about a release date :bowdown:

It was originally August 28th of this year, but seems to have been pushed back to March of 2013, as we've discussed in this thread:

Ah alright thank you very much. That are sad news . Maybe we are lucky and it will be released sooner and we see it earlier than 2013.

The waiting for the books kills me and i can´t imagine waiting for the last book ( wich will be even harder) but to wait for a paperback is pretty bad too as it seems :bang:

• 4 months later...

:bang:

Bantam has pushed back the release date for the ADwD paperback again. Last I checked it was due in March. Their website now lists it as:

On Sale: May 28, 2013

Pages: 1152 | ISBN: 978-0-553-58201-7

I didn't think the collectors edition would beat the paperback to market, but it has. I'm delighted that the hardcover has been such a strong seller, but damn we are edging close to a 2 year span between first edition and paperback.

• 5 months later...

It will be a new chapter. GRRM has said so himself.

However a new chapter could be one from the readingsm that he hasnt published.

The Tyrion capter, the second Aryanne chapter, Victarion chapter, the two Barriastan chapters.

If he publishes one of those chapters, it wont be such a surprise. (at least for me)

So the 2 smaller paperbacks are out in the UK but only the US version says on the cover "includes sneak preview of the Winds of Winter". Unfortunately Amazon.com has the publication date of this as...... 29 Oct 13.

I'm in the UK so if noone else knows I will pop down to the bookshop tomorrow and see if the A Dance with Dragons paperbacks have sample pages.

Archived