Character Ages

SFDanny

• 4 months later...

Finally I'm able to post here!

First, I want to appreaciate to SFDanny, Errant Bard and Rhaenys_Targaryen. Without them, I wouldn't be able to make my Robert's Rebellion timeline and my precise relationship between Bran, Robb, Jon and Dany's name days

This is the thread where I posted the Timeline and the name days' relationship

Hope you like it :)

• 3 weeks later...
"The boy has a mouth on him, I see. Why believe them and not me? Couldn't be my face, could it?" Clegane glanced at Arya. "You going to make her a knight too, Dondarrion? The first eight-year-old girl knight?"
"I'm twelve," Arya lied loudly, "and I could be a knight if I wanted. I could have killed you too, only Lem took my knife."

A Storm of Swords - Arya VII

That seemed to startle him. "I'm only twelve."
I killed a boy when I was eight, Arya almost said, but she thought she'd better not. "You've been in battles, though."
A Storm of Swords - Arya VIII

Why is Arya being called 8? It's just such a specific age for The Hound to say, why not just say 10 yo? 
And why would Arya age herself down in her own head? She always seemed a bit proud to be older than Bran for example. Is this just a mistake on the editors part? Because I assume Ned was well aware of his daughter's age when he mentioned she was 9 in AGOT.

Why is Arya being called 8? It's just such a specific age for The Hound to say, why not just say 10 yo? 
And why would Arya age herself down in her own head? She always seemed a bit proud to be older than Bran for example. Is this just a mistake on the editors part? Because I assume Ned was well aware of his daughter's age when he mentioned she was 9 in AGOT.

In the first quote, Clegane is estimating, and estimating wrongly.

In the second quote, Arys is misremembering. She states her own age plenty of times, as well do others, in he books. She misremembers, just like happens from time to time.

Archived