WorldCon

Vote Glasgow.

Docklands is good, better than it used to be and is...well, possibly cheaper to fly in to (but not to stay at). Glasgow has LOT of stuff to do, great restaraunts, nightlife, good and afforable hotels and conference facitilies that are right next to the centre of town. If it comes to a choice I'd urge everyone to vote for Glasgow if it is nominated.

Caveat: I'm baised, but we do kick London's arse (sorry Nat) :P

Anywhere in the UK is good for me, but if it's London Sean can take all the furries to the gay bar, which would make the whole thing worhwhile :stunned:

That said, London would be fecking expensive. I understand they're only thinking about making it London because some Dutch fan organisers said they'd help out (there not being sufficient interest for Amsterdam to make a bid by itself, although I think a Dutch Worldcon would be awesome). Otherwise Glasgow has good form for putting two good Worldcons on.

EDIT

Peadar's new book jacket photo.

I'm for Glasgow. Finally a worldon where I wouldn't have to fly to, and London's too big for my taste. :)

Hehe, with some real big luck I might have finished a book and found a publisher by 2014; that way I could take the real guest elevators. :P

Can't wait for a more detailed report on the chapter. Very, very cool!

My chief question would be is if Coldhands is described in more detail, or if his face remains hidden under his cloak's hood... and I guess whether there's any hint that Bran knows who he is/was (i.e. is it an undead Benjen Stark?).

re The Beauty & the Beast film. It's still in the pre-production stages and apparently won't involve Perlman, but there is a rumour Nicole Kidman is interested.

As the beauty or the beast? Plastic surgery cuts both ways, you know.

Interesting. So it is supposed to be a spin-off/follow-up to the TV series, I gather, rather than something entirely unrelated. And GRRM's just heard about it or did he indicate any level of involvement?

re The Beauty & the Beast film. It's still in the pre-production stages and apparently won't involve Perlman, but there is a rumour Nicole Kidman is interested.
We all know Perlman doesn't turn down roles, judging by some of the work he has done, so why in the world, how could they in good conscience not cast perlman?

Presumably because they want someone about the same age as "the Beast" was when the show ended, and doubtless because they're hoping for a bigger name. Ron Perlman is not a leading man as far as film goes; and outside of "Beauty and the Beast", I don't think he's been a leading man on TV either.

Vote Glasgow.

Well, we don't get a choice of voting on which city a new UK bid would choose. It's a perogative of the bid committee, with many factors taken into account.

Of course, if you can get the ear of some of the most likely suspects to be on a UK bid committee, you could certainly campaign for Glasgow.

I'm told that the Docklands is much more accessible now than it was a few years ago, but I'm still a bit dubious about it as a good location, and we already know Glasgow rocks and has great Indian food at Mr Singh's.

Presumably because they want someone about the same age as "the Beast" was when the show ended, and doubtless because they're hoping for a bigger name. Ron Perlman is not a leading man as far as film goes; and outside of "Beauty and the Beast", I don't think he's been a leading man on TV either.

I don't know, I thought Perlman did a fair job with Hellboy I and II.

I'm told that the Docklands is much more accessible now than it was a few years ago, but I'm still a bit dubious about it as a good location, and we already know Glasgow rocks and has great Indian food at Mr Singh's.

This is true, and a lot of London is benefitting from improvements to transport infrastructure due to the Olympics (which, weird to think, will be two or three years gone by the time the UK Worldcon rolls around). Also, finding a decent place for food in London should not be an issue ;) Whether it's anywhere near the convention centre is a different story.

A problem with Glasgow is that is quite some distance out of the way for British people in the biz, a lot of whom are based in London, or have to go down there in the course of their normal work. Actually, I'm surprised that London seems to be favoured over a return to the former favoured British convention location of Brighton. In August that could be quite pleasent.

Relax, guys.

Quite a few BwB members took detailed notes, so it's just a question of time before they appear on the board. :)

Was cool to have a chance to meet up with GRRM and Parris one last time before they fly back to New Mexico tomorrow. . .

Patrick

Lots of fun at the BwB party, wish I could've stayed later. I'm thinking Reno or Chicago and doing a full WorldCon since I only went Saturday this time, although Glasgow would be ideal... :-)

Let me know when BwB New Yorkers get together, I'll be there!

Home, i miss y'all already. I can't wait for MG's official con report and a good recount of the reading (a pox on the scheduler, stupid monday) Time to rest and reboot, back to the real world.

Archived