First scene of Season 3

princethomas

I still think that the Episode needs to start at the Fist, however I wouldn't start with the battle. I would start with a scene of the landscape, then cut to Sam being passed by the WW's then end the scene with the WW's decending on the NW. I would personally do that before the opening credits like S1. I would use the next part of the episode to show the other characters starting with Davos on his rock. I would then use the last part of the episode to show the Battle at the Fist. No matter how they do the Episode it will have to be very NW-heavy (because of the way they built it up), so most of the other characters will need to have their story introduced rather then have many important things happen.

I wasn't satisfied with the start of S2E1. It started of very jarring, then switched over to a calm setting. The first season started much better. It eased us into a very intence scene and that's how I would like this season to start.

• 4 weeks later...

The shows budget was upped in S2 and has probably been upped again for S3. Considering the fact that there's no Blackwater esque event this season, there's more flexibility to spread the money around.

D&D had to beg to get the extra money that they needed for Blackwater - they explained to HBO why this battle would defend a budget jump. And in the end, they still did not get all that they said they needed for it.

They don't really need it that much this time, so I don't see how the budget would be increased. Probably rather decreased, since no Blackwater.

D&D had to beg to get the extra money that they needed for Blackwater - they explained to HBO why this battle would defend a budget jump. And in the end, they still did not get all that they said they needed for it.

They don't really need it that much this time, so I don't see how the budget would be increased. Probably rather decreased, since no Blackwater.

I believe Kit Harrington said that season 3 has the biggest budget yet.

Given what's to occur over the course of the season and especially considering what's to come near the end of season, I feel it would be apropos to have the first scene feature Robb.

As for the recent discussion of budgetary matters in this thread I recall the show getting a 15% bump for season 2, but I haven't seen a figure for season 3 yet.

This was an interesting quote from series writer Vanessa Taylor:

I’ve actually been learning a particular lesson this season. My bosses [Weiss and Benioff] seem to be becoming more visual storytellers. All of the episodes of the third season seem to open with a particularly cinematic opening. And they’re less about clever dialogue and transition and more about these huge cinematic… just the visuals of it all. And so I’m really learning a different way of writing from that. Because I think it’s quite subtle and I feel like, by contrast, the writing of the second season was a bit more conventional.

Game Of Thrones Season 3 “More Visual”, “Less About Clever Dialogue”

Another quote from the Taylor interview..

"Well, according to George and Bryan Cogman, the other writer on the show other than myself and our bosses, it is never okay to deviate. But we have to for a couple of reasons. One, as you’ve said, there’s too many characters so we have to sort of condense. The other thing is that it’s not all produceable even with the budget we have, we’re really strained. And so I think the basic rule is we make it as close as we possible can but there are times when we just can’t."

And GRRM on prophecy...

•13 minutes: Martin discussed why we haven't seen much prophecy in the TV show (as was the case in the House of the Undying scenes in the Season 2 finale). There's a wariness to showing a lot of prophecy in case some characters or story threads have to be trimmed later, Martin said. "It would be sort of stupid to have a whole prophecy of something that never pays off down the road because we have to cut that thread for budgetary reasons." Having said that, he said he thinks the show will, at some point, have to deal with events concerning Rhaegar, Lyanna and Aerys Targaryen, the Mad King. (Trivia for you: Scenes of the Mad King were filmed for Season 1, but never used.).

'Game of Thrones' Season 3 Characters And Scoop From Creator George R.R. Martin

I would have a 2-3 min prologue scene taking up exactly where Season 2 left off. This music playing in the background

Show how Sam escapes and makes it back to the fist, show Mormont ordering arrow attacks that don't do anything.

Then have Mormont order to use fire and show some exploding Wights. All while the Wights/Walkers are getting closer.

Have a flaming Arrow hit a walker and show it doing nothing to him.

Have the front line NW go out to fight sword to sword, kill many but still have many more of their own killed.

A Close up on the horror on Mormont's face, then when the music hits the 2:25 mark have a walker slowing walk towards a crow and slash him in half with a black screen just as the music stops, finally a screaming "Fall back" command from Mormont.

Cue intro theme.

Would be epic IMO.

I believe there is no doubt season three will start with Sam. Season three has to start off with a bang and the only way this can happen imo is to start with Sam's POV. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but I also think it's pretty obvious that episode two will start with Davos on the rock. I agree with other posters in saying that Davos doesn't mean enough to non readers yet to start the season off with him.

Well, first off, the Season doesn't have to start off with a bang. In fact, many serial drama series with large casts come back and start new seasons either by slowly re-introducing everyone or with a montage of what they've been up to in the downtime. GoT isn't a montage-type show so that option is almost assuredly not happening.

But if you are looking for evidence of what has happened in the past, Season 2's opening scene was Joffrey's nameday celebration and the arrival of Tyrion to King's Landing. Not the most action packed opener....

They certainly could start with Sam but they definitely don't have to. There are a number of different ways they could go.

I think the first scene will be with the White Walkers. James Cosmo(Jeor Mormont) said in an interview that his favourite scene in Season 3 is the first 5 minutes of the first episode, hence my suspicion.

It's probably going to be the remainder of the Night's Watch retreating to Craster's Keep and Sam killing the Other.

Davos on the rock would be a good opening scene (I can imagine it already) and can signify the growing importance of his character. I will concede that it will do good as the opening scene of ep 2 so that ep 1 can directly address Sam's and the Night's Watch's situation.

Davos on the rock would be a good opening scene (I can imagine it already) and can signify the growing importance of his character. I will concede that it will do good as the opening scene of ep 2 so that ep 1 can directly address Sam's and the Night's Watch's situation.

:agree:

Davos on the rock was one of the bestwritten parts of the books!

A great way to work Daenerys in is to have her have a dream sequence that helps fill in some of the big stuff they missed in the HOU scene...

Somehow I don't think that the show will incude all the HOTU visions, mostly because of, well,

SPOILERS

Example, while reading COK, the reader discovers aspects of Aerys' madness when Jaime reveals to Cat how exactly Lord Rickard and Brandon died, and then of course there is the scene when Dany gets a glimpse of two men

The fourth shows an old man on a barbed throne, saying to another man below him "Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat," and "Let him be king of ashes.".

In SOS, much later, Jaime reveals to Brienne that after Rhaegar died and Starks marched towards KL, Aerys planned to burn the city. Dany never met her father or Jaime, but if they planned to shoot the scene, then they would have to show Aerys and Jaime and thus revealing Aerys' plan much earlier. The reader is told that it was something that an old man told to another man. It is safely to assume that the old man is Aerys but the identity of the other man, whose age and appearance are not described remains a mystery. He could have been anyone, Pycelle, Varys, Rossart, Jaime, any man who had been left behind in KL. In that case the omission enhances Jaime's revelation much later.

Somehow I don't think that we will see any flashbacks scenes either, like Meera's story of the Tourney at Harrenhal,

Davos on the rock was one of the bestwritten parts of the books!

Agreed, but it was just his thoughts and inner monologue. How can they translate that to the show? Well, I guess they'll figure it out, as David Benioff said Davos is one of his favorite characters, so I have more faith in his dedication to the writing of Davos.

Agreed, but it was just his thoughts and inner monologue. How can they translate that to the show? Well, I guess they'll figure it out, as David Benioff said Davos is one of his favorite characters, so I have more faith in his dedication to the writing of Davos.

Voiceover perhaps? It doesn't need to be longer than a few minutes , Davos is quite crucial to the plot and I think it is important to see the war from the pov of the losing side. We already saw Stannis at Dragonstone but he didn't fought. Davos did.

Voiceover perhaps? It doesn't need to be longer than a few minutes , Davos is quite crucial to the plot and I think it is important to see the war from the pov of the losing side. We already saw Stannis at Dragonstone but he didn't fought. Davos did.

I think inner voices showing his thoughts would be really terrible and it would change the format of the show. Why only Davos would get them and why only in the third season? I've never liked seeing thoughts exposed on film or TV, it always looks silly.

Archived