[Book Spoilers] Melisandre's seduction of King Stannis

scurvy

I thought the treads hereabouts were a confluence of the show and book (with almost all the spoilers belonging to the books, one would have to have seen a future episode to give spoilers for that.) Tho for book readers we have some idea that the adaptation will use information from the books that could count as spoilers for the show.

Of course once they happen they won't be spoilers any more.

That isn't possible since some book events do not even make it into the show/are changed immensely. I have always interpreted this as a ACOK Spoilers topic.

I think that that scene (which I didn't mind nowhere near as much as I minded the brothel scenes, or Joffrey and the whores) helped explain the shadowbaby. Since we're not in touch with Davos' thoughts (''And he knew the man who had casted that shadow''), we need to understand that Stannis... planted (what's the word for that? :0) the... em baby in Mel. So in that sense, it was rather useful.

I want to ask, and I'd be grateful to anyone who answers, whether Selyse and Shireen were completely written off in the show. I don't think they've been mentioned so far, but is their existence acknowledged? Or is it like Stannis never was married? I definitely understand that the producers would want to both limit the cost and keep the audience from getting confused, but they could at least mention Stannis' family...

• 3 weeks later...

Selyse's existence is acknowledged: Stannis said 'I have a wife.' =D

This scene had me worried from the start. Melisandre is very different in the show, and while Dillane is a great choice for Stannis and I have nothing against him at all (on the contrary) I think stuff was changed to make him look more like a bad guy. His reaction to Renly's death and how they made it seem he knew everything that was going on perfectly well (contrary to the book) most of all. Why this has me worried? Well, it feels like they're preparing the audience for a soft landing for Stannis' eventual death by casting him like this... I also think it was Stannis' own idea to leave Melisandre behind, not Davos'. Hopefully they'll explore his character a little more later on 'cos right now it seems to me Stannis will only gain haters and fewer supporters than he did from the books... I can only hope they're doing it so it will be more obvious later Stannis isn't such a bad guy, but that's wishful thinking I guess.

• 9 months later...

"My issue isn't with the writing off of Selyse and perhaps even Shireen and Patchface (boo)."

This is a big issue with me, I was very much looking forward to seeing how they did Patchface (he was one of the more interesting characters on Dragonstone).

Also, I think this scene was just added for the sensationalism; let's face it sex sells.

Archived