Slaughter In Winterfell v.2

Dead Wolf

The basic idea of the first version was that Roose and Co. are doomed regardless of who wins the Battle of Ice. Roose sent out the Freys and Manderly to fight Stannis, but Manderly is unlikely to bloody himself and may even aid Stannis. I believe that when Hosteen Frey and Marlon Manderly return to WF, the northmen will put a dagger in Roose's back. The bloodthirsty lords are most likely:

1. Whoresbane Umber whose brother is with Stannis and was a guest in Winterfell. Whoresbane is with the Boltons only because the Greatjon is a prisoner of the Freys.

2. Lord Locke. One of Locke's relatives was in the Merman's Court when Davos went to treat with Lord Wyman.

3. Harwood Stout. Stout had his stores pillaged by Ramsay and his men, he is hesitant to leave the castle, and Lady Dustin told Theon that most northern lords loved the Starks

4. The Hornwood men are without a leader, but Ramsay murdered Lady Hornwood, who was Wyman's cousin before she was married.

5. Roose had 500 Stark men with him when he marched back north, and some of those were White Harbor men, and saw their brothers in arms cut down by Freys and Boltons.

6. Lady Dustin who contradicted her only reason for hating the Starks in her speech to Theon, her nephew was murdered by Ramsay and she knows Roose isn't loved.

7. The Cerwyns and Tallharts lost men when Ramsay sacked WF, and Cley Cerwyn was killed by Bolton men. I believe that the Tallharts lost family in that battle as well.

So basically Rickon will climb onto the high seat of the Starks over the bodies of Freys and Boltons

You had me until the part about Rickon, I honestly think Manderly sent Davos off to get him out of the way. I'm not entirely sure that Manderly isn't trying to protect Davos in a way, if not protect at least get him out of the way. Theres no way Davos makes it back to the battle in time to aid Stannis in any significant way.

You had me until the part about Rickon, I honestly think Manderly sent Davos off to get him out of the way. I'm not entirely sure that Manderly isn't trying to protect Davos in a way, if not protect at least get him out of the way. Theres no way Davos makes it back to the battle in time to aid Stannis in any significant way.

But then why go through all the trouble of beheading a similar man in his place? Why risk his family's safety by keeping Davos alive if he just wanted him out of the way? If that's what he wanted then he would have beheaded him for real in front of the Freys.

Now, after he comes back with Rickon, well, that's another story...

No Manderly is just loyal to the Starks his secondary goals are his business. Maybe he wants to have someone from his family marry Rickon or raise him.

Either way he's getting his revenge while he's at it.

But then why go through all the trouble of beheading a similar man in his place? Why risk his family's safety by keeping Davos alive if he just wanted him out of the way? If that's what he wanted then he would have beheaded him for real in front of the Freys.

Now, after he comes back with Rickon, well, that's another story...

I'm working off the theory (which has no basis but my opinion I readily admit) that Manderly respects Davos or his loyalty to Stannis and sent him away to keep him from getting himself killed. And if he manages to bring Rickon back even better.

I'm working off the theory (which has no basis but my opinion I readily admit) that Manderly respects Davos or his loyalty to Stannis and sent him away to keep him from getting himself killed. And if he manages to bring Rickon back even better.

I would like this theory much better if Skagos was remotely safe.

No Manderly is just loyal to the Starks his secondary goals are his business. Maybe he wants to have someone from his family marry Rickon or raise him.

Either way he's getting his revenge while he's at it.

Good point maybe he will marry Wyla his youngest daughter to Rickon and create a family bond with the Great House Starks.

I would like this theory much better if Skagos was remotely safe.

Who's to say it isn't? Rumors and myths about Skaagos,cannibalism,etc to me may not be The whole truth. Partly true most likely.

I think the Skaagosi hold to the Old God's and the Old Ways. I think they are loyal to Stark and their numbers may be underestimated.

Davos seeking Rickon for Manderly, I think will rally Skaagos to bring forces to Winterfell. The Skaagosi may save Stannis from defeat.

The Skaagosi may save Stannis, but haven't we already had two last minute saves by unexpected reinforcments (Blackwater and the Wall)? Seven hells, GRRM shouldn't repeat that trope another time. I hope that Manderly, the Hooded Man, turning the Karstarks, maybe Mance + six, and a surprisingly effective effort by the Ironborn will save Stannis et al. Oh yes, and Stannis himself.

The Skaagosi may save Stannis, but haven't we already had two last minute saves by unexpected reinforcments (Blackwater and the Wall)? Seven hells, GRRM shouldn't repeat that trope another time. I hope that Manderly, the Hooded Man, turning the Karstarks, maybe Mance + six, and a surprisingly effective effort by the Ironborn will save Stannis et al. Oh yes, and Stannis himself.

That's a good point and makes sense. Why make mention the Skaagosi myth and not use them somehow? You're probably right though, GRRM has used that trope twice involving Stannis both times. Might just me hoping the Skaags aren't just cannibal barbarians heh.

Who's to say it isn't? Rumors and myths about Skaagos,cannibalism,etc to me may not be

Well Stannis lost most of his fleet when sailing through Bay of Seals. Waters around Skagos are stormy and perilous, we have seen. And rumors and myths usually have a bit of truth in them.

Well Stannis lost most of his fleet when sailing through Bay of Seals. Waters around Skagos are stormy and perilous, we have seen. And rumors and myths usually have a bit of truth in them.

Then Skagosi warriors do eat the hearts of their fallen enemies, but that's not actually that uncommon. look at Khrazz and the Dothraki. The truth has been so distorted by sailor's gossip that the Skagosi look like savages to everyone else, just like the wildlings.

I'm not saying that Davos will get back with Rickon as the battle is happening. He'll get back with Rickon and Osha to find Manderly and the northmen waiting with Winterfell reclaimed for House Stark, possibly with Stannis but almost certainly with the head of at least one Bolton, maybe both

Roose strikes me as a pretty intelligent guy, all these things stacked against him have probably not gone unnoticed, I doubt he possesses the same blindness to his pending demise as Cersei.

Roose has a plan to save Roose.

Roose sent the Freys and Manderlys out to fight Stannis because he knew they would massacre each other. He has more than 3000 Dreadfort men, and likely believes the others won't act because they're scared for their families or themselves. Basically, he thinks that once the Manderlys and Freys have been blooded, his hold on WF will be secure

Archived