Warrior tiers

The Fresh PtwP

I just wanted to make a ranking system of the warriors throughout the series all fighters are in their prime. Here we go:

S tier - Legendary status and badass epitaph required. Arthur Dayne, Barristan, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon.

A tier - Oberyn, the Cleganes, (probably) Garlan, Victarion, Halfhand, Syrio*

B tier - Bronn, Loras, Mance, Beric the Lightning Lord, Thoros, Jorah, Asha

C tier - Ned, Stannis, Renly, Belwas*, Drogo*, Peck, Average Westrosi Knight

D tier - Kettlebacks, Duck, Aegon, Jon, Robb, Lancel, Joff,

F tier - Boros Blount, Puddles

What do you guys think?

*=would be higher on even footing (i.e. wearing armor)

Well done, a few things tough...

How do we know Mance and Thoros are that good fighters?

Were is Brienne?

Thoros has beat Sandor in melees before, and even though it's tempting to say Thoros had an advantage because he used swords ignited with wildfire, we have to remember that a flaming sword didn't stop Sandor from near cleaving Beric Dondarrion in two. He was also the first man through the breach on Pyke, and his survival sort of suggests he's fairly decent. We see Mance fight Jon in AFFC (ADWD?), and basically Mance felt he wiped the floor with Jon. It is notable in this case that Mance had a glamour on, one which masked his height, size, strength, speed etc. Jon though he was fighting a completely different man at the time, and was at a disadvantage. Regardless, Jon couldn't adapt to Mance enough to win. Additionally, we hear that Mance had to best some Wildlings in one on one combat in order to win over his followers in his quest to become King Beyond the Wall.

Brienne should be on that list, at least on a level with Loras if not higher. Beric Dondarrion, in my opinion, should be much lower. He basically gets cleaned up in combat what, 7 or 8 times? He gets killed by Amory Lorch at one point, if I recall correctly. Actually I disagree with a lot of that list, but it's not something I can be bothered putting any more thought and effort into.

Thoros has beat Sandor in melees before, and even though it's tempting to say Thoros had an advantage because he used swords ignited with wildfire, we have to remember that a flaming sword didn't stop Sandor from near cleaving Beric Dondarrion in two. He was also the first man through the breach on Pyke, and his survival sort of suggests he's fairly decent. We see Mance fight Jon in AFFC (ADWD?), and basically Mance felt he wiped the floor with Jon. It is notable in this case that Mance had a glamour on, one which masked his height, size, strength, speed etc. Jon though he was fighting a completely different man at the time, and was at a disadvantage. Regardless, Jon couldn't adapt to Mance enough to win. Additionally, we hear that Mance had to best some Wildlings in one on one combat in order to win over his followers in his quest to become King Beyond the Wall.

Brienne should be on that list, at least on a level with Loras if not higher. Beric Dondarrion, in my opinion, should be much lower. He basically gets cleaned up in combat what, 7 or 8 times? He gets killed by Amory Lorch at one point, if I recall correctly. Actually I disagree with a lot of that list, but it's not something I can be bothered putting any more thought and effort into.

Oh, right that...

I just wanted to make a ranking system of the warriors throughout the series all fighters are in their prime. Here we go:

S tier - Legendary status and badass epitaph required. Arthur Dayne, Barristan, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon.

What do you guys think?

I don't see any reasons why Robb or Jon should be put even in the same sentence with Joffrey.

Nor (f)Aegon, since at least he does his training.

Lancel actually fought in battle, that alone makes him better than Joffrey or (f)Aegon.

Boros Blount can actually kill someone, he's most likely a craven (or at least he's intimidated by Jaime).

Puddles is not a warrior.

Asha butchers everyone who stands in her way, apparently.

The Mountain is already a sort of legend in Westeros.

Until we get some first-handed info, Loras is only good at bouncing people with a stick and kill disarmed men.

Drogo is said to be the paragon for every Dothraki warrior and has never been defeated in duel.

Beric is good at being killed, apparently.

How comes that Tyrion is not in B tier at the very least? Always in the front lines, surviving by cutting down everyone in his path.

Yeah, Asha and Tyrion for Ultra tier: the Imp hasn't received martial training yet he kills people and commands armies despite his physical handicaps without big troubles.

And according to Asha's ADwD chapter she's basically the human version of a meatgrinder.

What do you guys think?

I personally would add both Syrio and Drogo on the S tier, based on them both being legendary as well.

If Syrio really was the First Sword of Bravos, then he held the most coveted title there was in a city infested in men who loved sword play. And let's face it, he was rather handy with that practice sword as well.

Also Drogo was a living legend, the khal of the biggest dothraki horde there was and never lost one single fight. Yes, he raided Lhazareen villages but also defeated other great khals and their bloodriders. Not to mention he was also known and feared in the Free Cities.

D tier to me seems the most problematic. Jon proclaims in AGOT that while Robb is the better lance, he's better with a sword. Also, it did seem like Joff kicked Robbs arse when the royals where visiting WF. Of course the differences in their skills could be small enough to land them all on the same tier.

And I would also give poor Puddles the benefit of a doubt. We don't know if he was the one who whooped Waymar Royce's behind in the AGOT prologue... ;)

1: (Way Above Average Westerosi Knight)

Arthur Dayne

Barristan Selmy

Daemon Blackfyre

Gregor Clegane

Jaime Lannister

Sandor Clegane

2: (Above Average Westerosi Knight)

Areo Hotah

Cregan Stark

Garlan Tyrell

Gerold Dayne

Mance Rayder

Oberyn Martell

Qhorin Halfhand

Rhaegar Targaryen

Robert Baratheon

Yohn Royce

3: (Slightly Above Average Westerosi Knight)

Balon Swann

Brandon Stark

Brienne

Bronn

Loras Tyrell

Syrio Forel

Victarion Greyjoy

Yoren

4: (Average Westerosi Knight)

Jon Snow

Jorah Mormont

Jory Cassel

Meryn Trant

Ned Stark

Robb Stark

5: (Slightly Below Average Westerosi Knight)

Grenn

Pypar

6: (Below Average Westerosi Knight)

Tyrion Lannister

7: (Way Below Average Knight)

Samwell Tarly

You can see my signature for related polls.

Personally I think most fighters are pretty similar in skill, I mean the legendary Arthur Dayne got his ass whooped by Ned.

Well.. we don't really know what happened exactly.

The Smiling Knight should be in the elite tier as well. He would've defeated Jaime had Arthur Dayne not stepped in and dueled Dayne for a long enough time to break his sword and get another one before finally succumbing to a guy that's universally considered to be one of the greatest swordsmen in Westerosi history.

Yeah but Jaime was like 14 or 15. And he wasn't really losing to him - as Jaime held him off.

Yeah but Jaime was like 14 or 15. And he wasn't really losing to him - as Jaime held him off.

I don't have the quote in front of me, but doesn't Jaime specifically say that while he's proud of himself for holding him off, he was relieved when Dayne stepped in? To me, coming from someone who's as confident in his skill as Jaime is (think about when he's reflecting on which fighters are stronger than him and those that could defeat him after Brienne bests him), this admission basically means that he would've lost the fight with the Smiling Knight had they dueled to the death.

Admittedly, yes, Jaime was still young, but he was no scared squire. Merrett Frey notes that while he was getting pox/being captured during the fighting with the Kingswood Brotherhood, "his fellow squire Jaime Lannister was distinguishing himself."

Archived