When did you start liking a universally disliked character?

The Fresh PtwP

For me:

"Robert won the tourney at the Trident, where he unhorsed Rhaegar and made me his queen of love and beauty."- Cersei Lannister. Vain, delusional and bitter...perfect.

"Aerys granted his request, declaring fire to be the champion of House Targaeryn" I can't even...I mean...Who says that! Pending Aegon's legitimacy Aerys might be my favorite Targ. He would've been such a interesting read.

"I am the only dragon that you need." - Aegon Targaeryn. This made me like him alot. When he insists on leading the assault on Storm's End made him rise another few notches.

Melisandre's POV turned me. Before she was just a one-dimensional fanatic. Realizing that there is a person in their was oddly reassuring.

Jaime - when he pushed Bran

Cersei - when we discover she was having sex with Jaime

Tywin - when we learn he wiped out the Reynes

Shae - I liked her in general

Dany - when she gave birth to the dragons (though she has questionable moments after)

Roose Bolton: A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours.

Littlefinger: When he pushes Lysa out the moon door

Asha: When she was seducing her unknowing brother

Walder Frey: Heh.

Gregor Clegane: After getting mortally wounded, crushes Oberyn with his hands

Renly: When he appoints Brienne to his KG without even thinking twice.

Like the Damphair upon my first reread.

Oh, forgot about Aeron.

Fan of the C'thulhu mythos, and Aeron and his god fit right in...

Liked the High Septon as well because he seems to be the only one really caring for the smallfolk so far, with maybe the exception of the BwB, but they seem more concerned with exacting revenge than helping the smallfolk at the moment.

Littlefinger - "Only Cat." *shove* "Guard's ! The singer's killed my lady wife !"

You. Magnificant. Bastard.

When Cersei is captured by the Faith and she fights like hell, and is even thinking about elbowing the old Septa down the stairs. Actually, I still think she is utterly despicable, but her villainy is entertaining.

I liked Darkstar on my first reading through A Feast for Crows. His looks are admitted the type I can fangirl over easily, and his bitterness about everyone only remembering one Dayne is something I can relate to. His attack on Myrcella was pretty ballsy, not to mention his getting away. I'm eager to see where his story is going, even though I imagine he's about 90-10 on dying. (Plus the theory that he's Oberyn's bastard really got me excited. I can get behind it even though it seems like right now it's mostly coincidence.)

Roose Bolton: A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours.

Dude, you stole my answer. I love this line. This makes Roose so awesome in my opinion. Roose <3

I liked Darkstar on my first reading through A Feast for Crows.

Me too. I still like him. I like ham especially with pineapple and cloves. Oooooo...That and i think hes got a pretty cool role to play later.

Besides maybe Gregor and Ramsay I don't think there are any universally dislike characters. I'm with the OP on liking Melisandre after her POV chapter. I started liking Sansa when she saved Dontos. Jaime became one of my favorites at his Harrenhal hot tub chapter. The Maegor's holdfast chapters solidified my love for Sansa and made Cersei into a human being, although it would be a big stretch to say I like Cersei. I just like her chapters.

Theres something to be said about what Ramsay adds to the story. He adds a level of horror and villainy that i can wholly appreciate. So because of this, i actually am a bit fond of him. Sure, i want him to die a horrible, painful death, and i dont really root for him (most of the time), but i like that Ramsay exists.

Theres something to be said about what Ramsay adds to the story. He adds a level of horror and villainy that i can wholly appreciate. So because of this, i actually am a bit fond of him. Sure, i want him to die a horrible, painful death, and i dont really root for him (most of the time), but i like that Ramsay exists.

True. He's got that whole Texas Dreadfort Chainsaw Massacre thing going on - macabre stuff but the sheer creepiness of it is entertaining. "Like a butcher hacking meat" indeed.

I'm not sure if he's disliked, but I don't see much praise towards Victarion Greyjoy; his chapters are great IMO, and I love the character

I've heard people say that they're not fond of Areo Hotar's chapters, but I enjoy the warrior's outlook that he has, "simple vows for a simple man"

The queen stood. “And what of my wrath, Lord Stark?” she asked softly.

This line is where I fell in love with Cersei. I wish I could correctly articulate why this line-is it her defiance, her reminding Ned that she has feelings and stakes and people she loves involved in the game and isn't going to roll over and die quietly across the sea to assuage his conscious or her insistence that she won't go down without a fight? All three? The mental image of Cersei rising smoothly, the setting sun gilding her golden hair, her vivid eyes eyes searching Ned's face, her bruised cheek swollen and exposed a reminder of her pride and her willingness to take knocks for it?

This line is where I fell in love with Cersei. I wish I could correctly articulate why this line-is it her defiance, her reminding Ned that she has feelings and stakes and people she loves involved in the game and isn't going to roll over and die quietly across the sea to assuage his conscious or her insistence that she won't go down without a fight? All three? The mental image of Cersei rising smoothly, the setting sun gilding her golden hair, her vivid eyes eyes searching Ned's face, her bruised cheek swollen and exposed a reminder of her pride and her willingness to take knocks for it?

I also liked her when she said that line, then she got power.....

I'm not sure if he's disliked, but I don't see much praise towards Victarion Greyjoy; his chapters are great IMO, and I love the character

I've heard people say that they're not fond of Areo Hotar's chapters, but I enjoy the warrior's outlook that he has, "simple vows for a simple man"

Yeah. Areo is one of the better characters in the story imo.

Archived