Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

What's the next big release after Titanfall for the xbone?

Exclusive? Halo 5, or whatever they're calling it, I think.

Unverified image suggests we might be getting an announcement for a sequel to Dishonored at this year's E3.

Quite likely. Arkane were working on it months ago, as was accidentally let slip during the Prey 2 debacle (Arkane have two studios, one of which was working on more Dishonored, the other one was standing by to receive Prey 2 but legal action put paid to that).

I wonder how controversial the game is going to be. A lot of things that would get the game slammed if it was a new IP seem to be being ignored because, "Oh, it's South Park." The key for me is how good the combat is, or if it turns into a repetitive grindfest.

Anyway, the reviews are hitting:

Polygon: 8.5

Eurogamer: 8

Metro: 8

Escapist: 4/5

Edge: 8

Gamespot: 7

Destructoid: 8

Giant Bomb: 5/5

Kotaku: Positive ("One of the funniest games ever made,"), but lists technical issues and advising waiting for a patch.

RPS: Positive overall, but claims the opening hours of the game are painfully bad. Also slates it for not having any graphics-adjusting options on PC.

Metawert summary: pretty good, despite minor technical issues and some iffy tutorials. The game will also be divisive on humour, but if you already like South Park you'll probably be fine.

48GB for Titanfall, seriously? That's insane. Games cannot keep getting bigger while the state of US broadband remains so atrocious.

I really wonder if the problem here is that so many US game devs live in those handful of places where the broadband really is great (and all the Japanese devs surely do), and forget that the rest of country isn't so lucky. Its the same sort of thinking that lead to Microsoft thinking that Always-Online wouldn't be burdensome on people.

48GB for Titanfall, seriously? That's insane. Games cannot keep getting bigger while the state of US broadband remains so atrocious.

Game devs would likely point out the huge number of people living in Europe and Asia with superb internet connections, or living in the big US cities with good broadband connections. It's the superiority of internet services that should be driving internet providers to improve their services, and driving customers to demand that. In the UK we were cursed with shitty speeds for way too long, but in the last five years it's improved immensely. My provider just gave us a free upgrade to 50mbps from 30 (and it was only 5mpbs five years ago, for the same price).

The problem in the USA is the sheer size of the country, and the significant numbers of people living in relatively remote locations. It's bad enough here in the UK, where rural districts have trouble getting services despite the country being relatively small, so I can only imagine the logistics of getting broadband out to remote towns in Wyoming with only a small number of potential customers waiting.

Has anyone done the Daud DLC for Dishonored? Is it worth it to grab both of his DLCs? I bought the first, Knife of Dunwall, right when it came out. Then decided to wait to play till I had the second, as it was a continuation of the first. By the time the second arrived I was busy and forgot to get it. Now though I want to play it, but would like to hear from any boarders first.

The DLC for Dishonored is quite good. The level design is great, and it adds a good amount to the backstory that you wouldn't have caught. It also makes Daud a much more sympathetic villain.

I pay something like $40/month for 6mbps download speed with ATT UVerse. I have access (in theory) to speeds over 50, but the cost is over $100/month. Other ISPs charge similar prices, and there isn't anything like Google Fiber here. This is in one of the largest cities in the US. It's freakin ridiculous how much fast internet costs here. Then again, maybe my expectations are just wrong and it is just as expensive elsewhere.

Edit - Used wrong unit!

You mean 6Mbps? I pay about $60/month for 25 Mbps, but the price has kept going up while speeds have remained the same. And my download cap has gone from 500GB to 350. It's bullshit (not like I ever get near the cap).

EDIT because I mixed my units up.

ETA: You're in Canada right? I've heard Canada is horrible with download caps. I don't even have one as far as I know, but there might be one hidden somewhere in the fine print.

No I think he has 50mbps (which is about 6-6.5 gb per second max download). That's what I have and I pay $40 a month with Comcast. It's normally $75 a month for the package I have though, they just had a special offer going the month I signed up luckily.

ETA: You're in Canada right? I've heard Canada is horrible with download caps. I don't even have one as far as I know, but there might be one hidden somewhere in the fine print.

50Mbps would mean 6MB/s. I'm just confused with the units here, that's all. My max download speed is about 3.2MB/s.

And yeah, Canada's internet and mobile phone networks suck. Many legitimate studies have confirmed that Canada has the worst internet speeds and prices among the developed countries. Despite that, our government continues to tell us that the service is first-rate. Oh well, at least we get free health care.

And I think I'm gonna buy Stick of Truth. I love South Park, so I think I'll get a lot out of it.

For comparison, in the UK I'm now getting 50mbps* for £50 per month, including a landline, cable TV and Tivo recorder box (via Virgin Broadband). When my contract runs out I'm going to re-order via the Internet service, which should save me £20 a month.

From the sound of it, the US and Canada are getting shafted for prices versus service in comparison.

* Before the upgrade, my fastest download speed on Steam was about 4.5 MB/s. No idea what it is now, I haven't DLed a game since.

Has anyone done the Daud DLC for Dishonored? Is it worth it to grab both of his DLCs?

Yes. The second one is probably a bit better than the first one, which kind of cheaped out by reusing the Flooded District stuff a bit too much. The second one is all-new stuff.

No I think he has 50mbps (which is about 6-6.5 gb per second max download). That's what I have and I pay $40 a month with Comcast. It's normally $75 a month for the package I have though, they just had a special offer going the month I signed up luckily.

I assure you that neither of you has 6Gbps internet connections

50Mbps would mean 6MB/s. I'm just confused with the units here, that's all. My max download speed is about 3.2MB/s.

And yeah, Canada's internet and mobile phone networks suck. Many legitimate studies have confirmed that Canada has the worst internet speeds and prices among the developed countries. Despite that, our government continues to tell us that the service is first-rate. Oh well, at least we get free health care.

And I think I'm gonna buy Stick of Truth. I love South Park, so I think I'll get a lot out of it.

Oh whoops, yeah 6MB not GB that's what I meant.

Thanks Kal and Wert, I'm definitely gonna get the second DLC.

ETA: Arkham Knight looks to be the Batman game I was hoping Origins would turn out to be. I really love the Arkham series, and this looks like it will finally deliver everything I wanted after the first two. Namely being able to drive the Batmobile, and actually having he entirety of Gotham to explore.

I think that confirms what a lot of people guessed: Rocksteady realised early on that it'd take longer than 2 years to release their next game, so WB outsourced (or insourced, rather) Origins using a lot of existing assets to get a quickie release to tide them over.

Archived