Will Stannis' pride be his downfall?

Fireandblood94

I'm re-reading ACOK, at the beginning when Stannis is discussing with Maester Cressen about how the Stormlords won't join his cause. They talk about his two potential allies - Renly and Robb, I understand his objections to joining with Renly - I believe he is correct in this matter though I wish they'd have more sense and worked together, but I can't understand why he rejected the advice of Cressen to side with Robb. Stannis calls him a green boy and claims he will not give up half of his kingdom (Funny because he hasn't won anything yet) and then rants about how Robert treated Ned as a brother and not him. Now I believe it was foolish of him to not try and form an alliance with Robb, it would have suited both parties so much- Stannis would get loyal men he needed to remove the Lannisters and Robb/Cat would gain a proven battle commander and a man more than capable of dealing with Frey's and Boltons to aid them in their quest for justice.

Would I be correct in saying that Stannis pride particularly in relation to his relationship with Robert is the cause of this naivety?

By right, Stannis has claim to entire realm, North and Riverlands included. Naturally, he considers Robb another usurper, which, TBH, from Stannis' perspective, isn't far from truth.

Would it really have suited Stannis to side with Robb? At the time Robb was fighting Tywin which was great for Stannis, his enemies fighting each other, best not to interrupt that and let them bleed each other more. It's the same tactic Renly was using. Siding with Robb would've made them equals and that much harder to subdue him in the end. Stannis wouldn't have gotten loyal men either, these men would still remain loyal to Robb, makin him very dependent on. Stannis is supposed to be the King, I think it's smart of Stannis to make sure he doesn't become too dependent on anyone.

I'm re-reading ACOK, at the beginning when Stannis is discussing with Maester Cressen about how the Stormlords won't join his cause. They talk about his two potential allies - Renly and Robb, I understand his objections to joining with Renly - I believe he is correct in this matter though I wish they'd have more sense and worked together, but I can't understand why he rejected the advice of Cressen to side with Robb. Stannis calls him a green boy and claims he will not give up half of his kingdom (Funny because he hasn't won anything yet) and then rants about how Robert treated Ned as a brother and not him. Now I believe it was foolish of him to not try and form an alliance with Robb, it would have suited both parties so much- Stannis would get loyal men he needed to remove the Lannisters and Robb/Cat would gain a proven battle commander and a man more than capable of dealing with Frey's and Boltons to aid them in their quest for justice.

Would I be correct in saying that Stannis pride particularly in relation to his relationship with Robert is the cause of this naivety?

Robbs at fault. He should have set aside the crown and swore fealty. It's what Ned would have done.

Archived