Thank God for Jim Butcher

Crazydog7

I read so many bad books it really and truely shocks me when one is actually GOOD!!!

I mean wow this is like Anita Blake before it got all crappy with the the werewolf sex

I have read 1 and still have 10 more to go, fantastic!!!

Is anyone else a fan?

I have just been telling everyone to read AND watch the Dresden Files. In fact, I am reading Proven Guilty right now - just started. I am *really* surprised that I am still liking the books - I got the first book and really liked it so I went crazy and bought all the rest and read them one right after the other in a few days. That usually makes me get sick really fast of the chars and the oddities in the author's writings. Not this time!

I started watching the show too - just 4 episodes left. I think they did an ok job of staying to the idea of the books and the shows are quite entertaining. I love Bianca in the shows and what they did with the storyline there.

I am not sure if you read the Cursor books too?? I started with that series and liked it so well to move on to these books actually.

I actually started with Proven Guility I got storm front off Amazon and will pick up the others later.

I've heard some good things about the TV show and will watch it if I ever get the chance.

I am a huge fan of the Dresden books. I think the character is continually becoming deeper and richer, and the stories continue to be entertaining and ass-kicking. The TV show leaves a few things to be desired, but Paul Blackthorne as Harry is spot-on and he does a very good job as the character. Worth watching.

I have read the first book of the Codex Alera and enjoyed it, but had a lot of other stuff to catch up on so I kind of nudged sequels to the bottom of the list. Anyone here read other books in that series that can give me a reason to nudge them back up?

I have read the first book of the Codex Alera and enjoyed it, but had a lot of other stuff to catch up on so I kind of nudged sequels to the bottom of the list. Anyone here read other books in that series that can give me a reason to nudge them back up?

No. In fact, I can only say don't read the next one...until the series is done, that way you can spare yourself the pain of waiting.

I enjoyed the first couple of Harry Dresden books I read, and then his character started to grow old very fast. I gave up about six books into the series because he was irritating me so much. Dresden's character hardly changes at all, the author uses cheap "cliffhangers" at the end of nearly every single chapter, and there is far, far too much Deus ex Machina.

Not to mention that the cop character has to be one of the single most annoying females in the history of literature.

Just reading my first one (Fool moon at the minute)

It's fun enough. It's very american, in a Buffy/ Charmed sort of way (not blaming this, the author is american); His historical european references are very sloppy though, and that detracts a bit. Simple googling was enough to tell him that the Beast of the Gevaudan roamed in the late 18th century not the 16th for example, or that Macfinn as an irish surname is obsolete. Other than that, definitely an easy read.

I love these books. I love the pulpy, faux Dick Tracy feel of them. I keep wanting the bad guys to say "you'll never catch me copper!" They achieve a great balance of humor without going into overt silliness (often), fantasy without losing sight of the real-world setting, and a great story line without losing sight of the light-hearted tone of the books. A great saturday afternoon read.

I read so many bad books it really and truely shocks me when one is actually GOOD!!!

I mean wow this is like Anita Blake before it got all crappy with the the werewolf sex

I have read 1 and still have 10 more to go, fantastic!!!

Is anyone else a fan?

Excellent the Dresden Army is growing. Soon we will be ready to take over the board. :)

I have been a fan for quite some time and slowly converting people to the series. They are simply great fun. It is true that Butcher becomes a better author over the series, some of the books could use some more editing but I love them. Dead Beat is my favorite of the series so far but who knows.

Plus Jim is putting there out at about 1 a year or slighly less. So there is progress.

I love Mouse. I love most of the characters, to tell you the truth. Although Thomas has always been one of my favorite characters in the series, the latest book made him perhaps number one. The beauty shop. :lmao:

I love Mouse. I love most of the characters, to tell you the truth. Although Thomas has always been one of my favorite characters in the series, the latest book made him perhaps number one. The beauty shop. :lmao:

Easy with the spoilers. But that is pretty damn funny.

Ramirez I think will be a very interesting charecter as the series continues to build.

as my commute chaged from 60 minutes of bumper to bumper to a 45 minute train ride, I've been pounding out books about 2 per week. I just finished the first two last week and enjoy them thoroughly. Of course I'd never call them works of art...they fall right into that sweet spot I love...

mindless trash (ok, not trash, but not dickens, eggers or any of that high faluting cr*p my SO swears by). I think this might become this generations "conan" or "john carter of mars". easy reads that are enjoyable. Of course I pervious read Kim Harrison's stuff, which was fine and I did not like LKH's stuff at all (ok, I only read 1).

Having seen the show first, I my expectations were exceeded, as the I like what what i've read. I don't miss the hocky stick, jeep or bob as dead sorcerer. I found it interesting how fool moon morphed into the show about the werewolf fbi agents. I would have thought that the books could have made great 2-4 episode arcs on tv. what was I thinking?

mindless trash (ok, not trash, but not dickens, eggers or any of that high faluting cr*p my SO swears by). I think this might become this generations "conan" or "john carter of mars". easy reads that are enjoyable. Of course I pervious read Kim Harrison's stuff, which was fine and I did not like LKH's stuff at all (ok, I only read 1).

I think the series started out a little rough, with not all the gears meshing and the world a little ragged. But as it has progressed it has gotten better and really leaves the "pulp fiction" "trash fantasy" label far behind.

I would have thought that the books could have made great 2-4 episode arcs on tv. what was I thinking?

Thats what I'm screaming man. I have thought that for awhile too. I think it would have done much better if they had stepped out on a limb and left the traditional one episode one story arc behind and made each book into 3 or 4 eps.

Archived