Cliffhanger scene of the Pilot

The Anti-Targ

Like the "What Scenes?" thread this thread will talk about specific scenes in the book. So even though this is the first book in the series be warned those who are unfamiliar.

Still and all, who much spoiling can you really do when you are talking about EP1 of Bk1? All the so-called spoilers in here would be more like teasers to get the uninitiated interested in reading the series.

I wanted to pull the final scene for the pilot out of the general discussion of what scenes should be in the pilot because it will be the scene that brings back those who are yet to be convinced, but willing to give it a try.

OK so there seems to be a lot of support for the "The things I do for love" cliffhanger. But I think perhaps the assassination attempt on Bran could be another cliff hanger moment.

I think with EP1 you need to pretty much close out the action in Winterfell. "The things I do for love" doesn't quite do that. Everyone who is meant to go to KL should leave for KL in EP1. Back in Winterfell it all seems to be settling down. Bran is lying in bed unconscious but alive. Catelyn in sitting vigil, seemingly all alone and vulnerable, but safe as far as the audience knows. Then the assassin slips into the room and...

EP2 opens in KL, stuff happens, then Catelyn turns up (she may even not turn up until EP3, if EP2 is going to take us to the East) with the cut hands etc and we flashback to the assassination attempt.

Finishing off with "The things I do for love", leaves us with too much action yet to happen in Winterfell before the rest of the story gets going. Or too much of a flashback required for when Cat turns up unannounced in KL.

The assassination cliffhanger also leaves you wondering whether 2 people have been killed rather than just one. And at this point in the story the audience aren't going to see Bran as a pivotal character, whereas the wife of the newly named Hand will be someone the audience will think of as important, so they will want to know whether she lives or dies. Only later on will the audience realise the importance of Bran.

I think the way you proposed it, that would mean 14 chapters in the first episode and maybe 7 (depending on how much Dany you include) in the second. That seems tough to pull off. I understand getting a bunch in at the beginning since some of those chapters don't need as much time, seeing as they're kind of exposition-heavy. But 14 might be too much, no? Hrmm, I guess you could just move the Cat III chapter right after the Jon II chapter and then that would be only 11 ...

But I don't think it's a bad thing to have two episodes at Winterfell, if there's 12 episodes in the season you really only need to average 6 or so a day. I also think that Bran's fall could have adequate investment for people to care about his fall, we see the execution through his eyes and he has some warm moments with his brothers and father. Plus the other shock will be the incest, don't forget, that could make up for if people don't think Bran is important yet (though I still think they'd care that a little boy was just flung from a window like that).

Keep in mind commercials will take up time as well. So it wont actually be a 50 hrshow. (unless somehow HBo doesn't have commercials? I'veonly watched HBO shows like deadwood on DVD so I dunno)

Also, I have a feeling the material in the books will be expanded upon in certain places for plot development. For example, Joffery and Robb's rivalry will probably be expanded upon instead of the one scene in the books where Jon+Arya sees him and robb almost go at it.

Also I hope we get a story hour with Old Nan! :)

I would like to see every episode of the first season ending with a Daenerys cliffhanger. Meaning that we see her consummating her marriage with Khal Drogo at the end of the first episode.

i like the idea of finishing with winterfell in the first episode. i'm not sur eits important for the pilot, but if the pilot gets really good reception. they might be able to pull off a '2 hour premier' and add in extra stuff to the pilot to wrap up winterfell comfortably.

[quote name='Lord Varys' post='1591104' date='Nov 17 2008, 01.10']I would like to see every episode of the first season ending with a Daenerys cliffhanger. Meaning that we see her consummating her marriage with Khal Drogo at the end of the first episode.[/quote]

This is a great idea. It'd add a lot of continuity to Dany's scenes if they were presented at the end of episodes instead of being shoe horned in between the Westeros POVs. It would certainly reduce confusion for viewers unfamiliar with the series.

I like the things I do for love as the ending of Ep 1. Plus, the more screen time they have at Winterfell, the more production dollars will go toward that set. ;)

Spoilers here on out:

Regarding this cliffhanger, I can see them spoiling the identity of Bran's assailant, but after Bran falls.

Bran is climbing taking in the sights of the castle. Men training. Castle layout. Gargoyle statues. Then he hears sounds of a woman being hurt. He peers into the window so we can two two people having a romp against the wall (but in shadows). Bran slips, and catches himself. The man grabs Bran, his face still out of view, maybe just his arm holding Bran. He says, "The things I do for love" and drops Bran. The camera follows the fall halway down the tower before starting to return to the window, a sickening crunch soundingas the camera moves back up. Jaime's face is then clearly visible at the window. He turns and goes back to what he was doing, except now we clearly see who he is with.

It maybe more effective to just hear Jaime say his line and throw Bran out and have the camera chase Bran down the tower to fade to credits right before impact. But it was pretty clear (to ma anyway) who was in the room when reading it the first time. Confirming this on screen adds a level of danger for the second episode, since then the new viewers will be watching Jaime as the main villain. Joff's role in the assassination attempt can be hinted, but not revealed.

There's so many ways to do this scene. I'm looking forward to what the professionals do with it.

ETA:

[quote]Has the script for the pilot already been written and we're just speculating on it, or is it all undecided so far?[/quote]
GRRM commented that the script is very faithful to the book and we can assume that HBO would not have green lighted the pilot without being satisfied with a completed script.

So, we can assume that a shooting draft is completed, with on set changes possible, as always.

Given that, yes, David and Dan already know how they are ending the pilot, so all of this speculation is not really useful beyond our own discussions. :)

[quote name='Callum' post='1591495' date='Nov 17 2008, 15.53']Has the script for the pilot already been written and we're just speculating on it, or is it all undecided so far?[/quote]
In order for HBO to order the production of a pilot they first has to read the script and like it.
George also say that he has read the script and liked it. I have both things from georges "not a blog" on his homepage. So this is all procrastination as the pilot is already written.
If I was a big fan of the books I would instead direct my attension on casting.
The two execs on the show, Beniof anf Weis, has said that they are actually reading this forum for casting suggestions. So that would be a way to influence the show directly-
[quote name='Mister Manticore' post='1591529' date='Nov 17 2008, 16.39']A "pilot" can be feature-length, short-length, or anything in between. It's entirely up to what HBO wants and how much money they want to spin.[/quote]
From what I have heard it is going to be a 1hr pilot. Like an episode of the show. But I am not willing to risk my neck on it. Can´t remember a source for this at the moment.

In my personal opinion I think I would like the pilot to start with the prologue and end with the fall. Use something like an episode and a half at winterfell, and the second half of episode two on the yourney to Kingslanding.

Casting my vote for the "The things I do for love" scene ending. When I was reading the book, that was pretty much the moment I knew in my bones this is going to be one hell of a ride (or story). I don't think there is a scene, at least early in the book, that has as much "OMFG" power than this.

[quote name='The Wolf Maid' post='1592407' date='Nov 18 2008, 08.54']Casting my vote for the "The things I do for love" scene ending. When I was reading the book, that was pretty much the moment I knew in my bones this is going to be one hell of a ride (or story). I don't think there is a scene, at least early in the book, that has as much "OMFG" power than this.[/quote]

Same here - which is exactly why I don't think it should be the [i]end[/i] of the first episode! Most of the audience will have switched off if they have to wait a whole hour to get a jaw-on-the-floor moment.

I agree with The Anti-Targ that the assassination attempt on Bran would be a much better place to end the first episode. All the stuff in Winterfell kind of sets up the rest of the story, and with the characters going their separate ways it's a nice, complete, tidy episode.

[quote name='Tysha' post='1595171' date='Nov 20 2008, 15.23']I agree with The Anti-Targ that the assassination attempt on Bran would be a much better place to end the first episode. All the stuff in Winterfell kind of sets up the rest of the story, and with the characters going their separate ways it's a nice, complete, tidy episode.[/quote]
True as such. Except that it covers a huge number of chapters, as others have mentioned. Not sure it would be that easy to condense, as you do want to give the characters some time to be introduced without rushing from scene to scene.

My vision of the cliffhanger scene of the pilot episode would be the first Daenerys scene. With all the talk of the Targs in the pilot episode, especially due to the scenes in the crypt, I think it is important to establish the past - Robert's rebellion - and its relationship with the present. To do this I would close the episode teaser (pre-title screen) with a close-up of Rhaegar's breastplate, showing the three-headed dragon and end the episode proper with a close-up of Dany's silk gown which is embroidered with the dragon. So the audience is aware that there is a sucession to Rhaegar at the end of the very first episode.

I'd close the Westeros scenes with "The things I do for love" though.

The assassination attempt makes a good beginning for a CAT arc in episode three, beginning with the assassination, middle with the ship, and ending with Eddard meeting her in King's Landing.

The connection to dany that I see is to add a small tower of joy flashback when the king and ned are in the crypt, where ned tells the three kingsguard that willam darry has the targs in dragonstone, and then starting episode 2 with dany 1's flashback memories of willam darry, and a "previously on" bit that mentions the flashback.

Archived