Goodkind XLI: Hobos With Swords

Myshkin

Here we go again my Lemming brothers and sisters! And to all you young Lemmings, remember the rules:

1) No personal attacks

2) No trolling or inciting others to troll on other boards

3) Do not stare into the Yeard lest the Yeard stare back into you.

4) DO NOT FEED THE YEARD

Have fun and play nice.

[quote name='TempestBrewer' post='1632972' date='Dec 29 2008, 09.29']This (these) thread(s) make(s) me ashamed that I haven't pawned off my copies of SoT yet :lol:[/quote]

The recommended way of getting rid of SoT books is by burning, you don't want to spread the disease to innocent people.

[quote name='Watcher' post='1633535' date='Dec 29 2008, 21.13']The recommended way of getting rid of SoT books is by burning, you don't want to spread the disease to innocent people.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, I did read them when I was an intern in Minnesota with no internet and no TV. Maybe I should have just drank instead.

[quote name='TempestBrewer' post='1633537' date='Dec 29 2008, 22.20']Well, to be fair, I did read them when I was an intern in Minnesota with no internet and no TV. Maybe I should have just drank instead.[/quote]

I believe it's actually more proper to drink while reading the SoT. You know, if one actually reads it...

[quote name='TempestBrewer' post='1633537' date='Dec 29 2008, 20.20']Well, to be fair, I did read them when I was an intern in Minnesota with no internet and no TV. Maybe I should have just drank instead.[/quote]

My years of drinking have enriched my life far more than the Tairy novels I've managed to choke down.

[quote name='Xereaux' post='1633581' date='Dec 29 2008, 22.29']My years of drinking have enriched my life far more than the Tairy novels I've managed to choke down.[/quote]

One could say that reading Tairy simply allows one to fully appreciate the liquor they have before them while reading that much more fully...

[quote name='Triskele' post='1633558' date='Dec 29 2008, 21.47']I have actually been enjoying this crap TV show. I just watch it at my convinience on hulu.com. It's unintentionally funny. From what I hear it's not too true to the books either. This makes me so happy. The TV Richard is not Objectivist in any way. He's almost a commie.[/quote]

I know, right? I think enjoying is a bit of a stretch, but I can't stop watching...the horror, the horror.

I do have to admit, I like staring at the actress who plays Kahlan (you guys call her Klan?) and I find the way they portray Zedd highly amusing, but overall I still end up wanting my 45 mins back. And yet I still watch. WHY?! Why is it so hard to escape the grasp!? I had an easier time quitting Heroes and Lost.

Assuming the Yeard is a drug like substance, that would explain a lot, the foaming fans, the addiction to something bad for you, why it's so hard to break away...

Theories?

[quote name='TempestBrewer' post='1633932' date='Dec 30 2008, 09.42']Assuming the Yeard is a drug like substance, that would explain a lot, the foaming fans, the addiction to something bad for you, why it's so hard to break away...

Theories?[/quote]Under this drug theory, the Lemmings would be those who are in denial. Picture a preacher who is obsessed with homosexuality. He just can't stop raving about disgusting, hairy, intertwined male bodies. Then picture a Lemming who goes on about all the flaws of Goodkind, and how he keeps on reading just to mock him better.

[quote name='Nous' post='1633944' date='Dec 30 2008, 10.02']Under this drug theory, the Lemmings would be those who are in denial. Picture a preacher who is obsessed with homosexuality. He just can't stop raving about disgusting, hairy, intertwined male bodies.[/quote]

You forgot the part about picking up hustlers in the mens' room. For "research purposes."

hahahahaha so I went on Zulu to watch an episode of The Legend. hahahahahahahahahaha I've never seen the show before but I'm glad I did.

If you check out the first episode... in the part were Zedd uses his wizards fire against the gar, the gar explodes like a cartoon. It literally has Star Trek like special effects. I'm dying inside. Whats more, it is the same exact explosion that occurs in the youtube video... Charlie the Unicorn 2. When the gay santa slug banana song guy explodes at the end of his song, it is EXACTLY like that gar blowing up, minus of course the jets of fire erupting from Zedds wizardly fingers.

I am so happy for Tairy. He got a TV series that is of the same high standards of his own fiction. :) It must feel nice when he watches it in his sporty race car.

o the horror

lawlz

[quote name='Yngwiegathai' post='1634691' date='Dec 31 2008, 07.28']I saw a middle-aged guy, looked ex-air force by the haircut and build, carrying around a Goodkind doorstopper paperback in a Subway today. I wanted to snatch it away from him so that he couldn't contaminate the food.[/quote]

That would have been a short-cut to a good spine-ripping. You chose death by not following your rising thing, but in so doing, you chose life, as you are still living. Contradictions cannot exist, neither in part nor in whole. Objectivists must be masters of denial and self-delusion.

yeah Im still around. I check in here every now and again. I usually dont have much to say, or i might not understand the flow of the conversation.. It seems like the lemmings sometimes get sidetracked off the subject. I love making fun of tairy and his masterpiece. It gives me many chuckles. lawlz

But anyhow, can anyone verify what I said about the exploding gar/ wizards fire. I need a second opinion on it.

Hi, my name is The Anti-Targ, and I'm a Lemming. It's been 4 years since I last imbibed objectivist fantasy/propaganda. I've managed to stay clean without entering a 12-step programme, or any other lemming rehabilitation programme. I'm unsure whether entering these threads is good or bad for my chances of remaining Tairy free.

Since first viewing these threads way back in 2008 I have watched promotional trailers of the Legend of the Seeker, and have recently attempted to watch full episodes on-line. Fortunately the sites I have visited will only allow US based interweb users to watch. I have also visited the thread in the Entertainment forum which is discussing the unfolding series. These are the first exposures I have had to Tairy since cleaning myself up and going cold turkey 4 years ago.

Are you a support group or a source for the aquisition of morbid fascination and attachment to awful literature and TV?

I have not seen a gar being blown up.

I produced my worst fantasy artwork during the days that I used to read the SoT series. Not surprising, really.

At this point I can't even remember how many of those books I made it through before realizing (coudln't have been more than three at most....). In my defense (not that its much of a defense), this was many years ago when I must have been searching for something to replace the Wheel of Time series, and I had not yet come across ASoIaF......

(Wow.....that really was a long time ago! :stunned: )

I have yet to subject myself to watching the Legend of the Seeker series......

I think my like for Goodkind stems from the order in which I read fantasy as a child until now. I started with Terry Brooks and The Sword of Shannara and the Scions series and loved it. I moved on to some of the Redwall series by Brian Jaques and lost interest in that after a few books. I then read Tolkien (I'm about 15 at this point) and enjoyed it but found it too wordy and overly descriptive. The part I enjoyed most about Tolkien was seeing exactly how much The Sword of Shannara borrowed from him. After Tolkien a friend (the same one who turned me on to Brooks) recommended I try Goodkind. It wasn't until I was almost done with the SoT that someone recommended I try ASoIaF. I think if I had discovered GRRM earlier I wouldn't like SoT as much as I do. Nostalgia is an interesting beast. (Granted, this is an abridged version of my reading history, I've enjoyed and hated many more authors and books than I could list here.)

So could someone break it down for me? Exactly what is so bad about the SoT and Goodkind? Is it all the propaganda? Is it the cliches? I for one can ignore these two things and enjoy the stories for what they are. I've read them all except the very last one, I think it's called Confessor. It's not my favorite series ever and I can only seriously see myself re-reading the first book, the rest of the series does get repetitive. So is that it? Is there something to all the Goodkind hate that I missed? Please explain. I'm not trolling, merely curious.

[quote]So could someone break it down for me? Exactly what is so bad about the SoT and Goodkind? Is it all the propaganda? Is it the cliches? I for one can ignore these two things and enjoy the stories for what they are. I've read them all except the very last one, I think it's called Confessor. It's not my favorite series ever and I can only seriously see myself re-reading the first book, the rest of the series does get repetitive. So is that it? Is there something to all the Goodkind hate that I missed? Please explain. I'm not trolling, merely curious.[/quote]

A long, long time ago, on a thread far, far away...nah, that really doesn't work.

In my opinion, there really exists no true "hate" of Tairy or SoT. We're all fairly rational people, and at least for some, had read several (in my case, up to Naked Empire) of the books in the series. I became a lemming when I said in essence that I read the books, and enjoyed them less and less, because they'd started to become more and more preachy, the plots seemed to meander and be repetitive (i.e., Richard always getting captured, Kahlan being taken captive and unable to use her powers, Naked Empire being about the same as Faith of the Fallen, but with pacifists subbed in for communists).

I was told on no uncertain terms by some SoT fans that I just did not get "it", and hated the fact that the books existed because they're about "true heroes", or something along those lines. Also, the views the author has espoused in his interviews have been truly retarded on a massive scale, basically about how he does not write fantasy, and derided fantasy as a genre.

So, I'm going to say that all of these threads are not based on hate, but at their core they stem from a love of mocking people who take themselves far too seriously. The Goodkind threads are kind of like the story of the emperors new clothes, except that if in teh story, once the child said "The emperor has no clothes", there was a vocal outcry from parts of the crowd that the emperor indeed was wearing a greatly awesome outfit (probably complete with an Ayn Rand t-shirt and some travelling pants), and anyone who thought otherwise was mentally deficient to the point of not understanding the clothes and hating that the clothes existed.

And that's how this l'enfant terrible came to be, with much more detailed analysis and dissection of the books after that first genesis moment, in order to greater facilitate and lengthen the period of mockery.

The internet is somewhere in there too...

Archived