The Brandon Sanderson Thread

BuckShotBill

(Possible Spoilers)

Of course I kid, but I was reading ‘The Hero of Ages’ last night, and when I came across this passage and laughed out loud.

“Excuse me, ladies,” a voice said.
Vin smiled, turning as the women parted to make way for Elend. Several of the younger ones got dreamy expressions on their faces as they regarded Elend with his warrior’s body, his rugged beard, and his white imperial uniform. Vin suppressed a huff of annoyance. She’d loved him long before he’d become dreamy.

I have been enjoying the Mistborn Trilogy, I just thought it was funny to come across a paragraph that read like it was out of a bad teenage romance novel. My wife even questioned what audience the books were written for after I read her that passage.

Man, that's a pretty horrible bit of writing and does sound like something straight out of a Meyer novel (or any of the countless clones).

I've only read Elantris by Sanderson, which - despite one or two flaws - I enjoyed.

Hack! Sellout!

Wait, this isn't the WoT thread...
;)

Like James, I've only read Elantris. It was very enjoyable, even if a few of the characters annoyed me sometimes. There were a number of passages in it similar to what you quoted, but as a first novel, it pretty good. It didn't end like I thought it would, which was refreshing.

I haven't picked up anything else of his yet, though. At the rate I've been reading lately (hardly at all) my next Sanderson book will likely be Gathering Storm.

The only thing that Meyer and Sanderson have in common is that they are LDS. I think that little things like what you mentioned will soon fade as Sanderson develops as a writer. He seeps with potential.

I very much enjoyed the Mistborn series, but yeah, the Vin/Elend stuff got very annoying by book 3. Thankfully the world gets so much bigger that I could just skim their parts and get back to cooler happenings elsewhere.

I haven't read any Sanderson, but taken out of context, that paragraph reads like deliberate POV writing - the same way, say, the prose in an Arya chapter refers to everything as [i]stupid.[/i] It's definitely shitty prose; I just wonder if it's intentionally shitty prose to express a character's mindset.

[quote name='Stego' post='1742143' date='Apr 2 2009, 10.31']I'd rather read Meyer.[/quote]
Why so much hate for Sanderson? I think the only other writers/books I can recall you showing such disdain for were David Keck and Kit Reed's [b]The Baby Merchant[/b]?

Personally, I'm willing to cut Sanderson a little slack. That particular scene is the only such one in The Hero of Ages. Mistborn had more but then it's an earlier book as well as being the first in the series and had to set up Vin and Elend's relationship. And Sanderson is still a young writer. Surely, you don't expect him to crap out A Storm of Swords the first time he sits down a computer?

[quote name='Stego' post='1742143' date='Apr 2 2009, 09.31']I'd rather read Meyer.[/quote]
I'd love to have you review Twilight. :P

[quote name='Rob B' post='1742297' date='Apr 2 2009, 11.45']Why so much hate for Sanderson? I think the only other writers/books I can recall you showing such disdain for were David Keck and Kit Reed's [b]The Baby Merchant[/b]?[/quote]

Doesn't he also hate Erikson? I'm beginning to think I should check out every book Stego hates.

The only moderately remarkable thing about Sanderson's work in my opinion is his creativity, [i]i.e.[/i] his metal based magic system and, uh... Maybe that's it? I dunno. I'd never read Meyers, and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the final volumes of WoT, but meh. Mistborn was actually well wrought, as a stand alone, but then it was diminished by the second verse same as the first, and lo... the third as well. [i]Yawn.[/i] Reminded me of the Coldfire Trilogy in that respect. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but Sanderson has a long ways to go before he's purchase-worthy for me.

[quote name='Rob B' post='1742297' date='Apr 2 2009, 12.45']Why so much hate for Sanderson? I think the only other writers/books I can recall you showing such disdain for were David Keck and Kit Reed's [b]The Baby Merchant[/b]?[/quote]

The whole WOT thing with Sanderson puts Stego in a murderous rage for some reason. /shrug

[quote name='beniowa' post='1742354' date='Apr 2 2009, 18.23']Surely, you don't expect him to crap out A Storm of Swords the first time he sits down a computer?[/quote]

Ah, the beauty of the creative process ;) Even one sword would be painful...

[quote name='Rob B' post='1742297' date='Apr 2 2009, 12.45']Why so much hate for Sanderson? I think the only other writers/books I can recall you showing such disdain for were David Keck and Kit Reed's [b]The Baby Merchant[/b]?[/quote]

He gave up his own career to write fan fiction based in a world that used to mean a lot to me. And the method in which he chose to do it is spitting in the eye of the memory of an actual author. That's all.

[quote name='Stego' post='1742629' date='Apr 2 2009, 15.43']He gave up his own career to write fan fiction based in a world that used to mean a lot to me. And the method in which he chose to do it is spitting in the eye of the memory of an actual author. That's all.[/quote]

1. Besides the fact that he hardly gave up his own career, you serious? I guess you would hate anyone who agreed to finish the book, even though RJ wanted someone to finish it?

2. The second part has been debated over and over so I won't go in to that.

Archived