Paul Kemp leaving Forgotten Realms novel line

Krafus

Perhaps I'll be the only one on this forum to care, but Paul Kemp announced on November 3rd on his Livejournal that he had ended his relationship with Wizards of the Coast, which means that his upcoming Cycle of Night trilogy will, pardon the pun, never see the light of day. I was distraught to read this news, particularly since I'd been looking forward to the CoN series. :(

I wonder what happened there? Kemp has been evasive and WotC has, as far as I know, said nothing on the subject yet, so we're left to good ol' fashioned speculation. My guesses:

1) Money. As the popular saying does, "it's always about the money."

2) Contractual differences between WotC and Kemp. Perhaps WotC wanted Kemp to write/not write something which Kemp disagreed with. Or maybe WotC wanted him to sign some long-term contract that he didn't want and walked away from, much like what once happened with R.A. Salvatore.

3) An inability on Kemp's part to write the story and/or characters he wanted to within the framework of 4th edition, and a refusal to compromise on those subjects.

Maybe he wanted to write books that he could be proud of?

Are you implying that shared-world fiction is inferior to original fiction? I'll be the first to admit that a lot of shared-world fantasy novels, especially in the Dragonlance line, are crap, but the same applies to a lot of original fantasy fiction. And I know I'd rather read R.A. Salvatore's latest Drizzt book than Terry Goodkind's latest novel.

Yet Bob Salvatore will never garner a modicum of respect.

From who? So-called literary snobs elites? As if their respect was worth earning. And writing an incredibly good novel is no guarantee of one's effort being rewarded by the "elite," as GRRM learned to his sorrow when ASoS lost the Hugo for Best Novel to Harry frickin' Potter.

It might be hard to languish in a literary ghetto wherein no one thinks much of you, despite any and all success.

Maybe you're right. Hopefully, Salvatore is able to salve his pride with the paychecks he gets from his many bestselling Drizzt novels and the support of his many, many fans.

Yeah, I saw this on his blog. Kemp was about the only FR author I could read, though I haven't read anything from him in a few years. His prose is pretty good and his characters flawed. His books weren't perfect and sometimes I could see the gaming mechanics behind the story (ie getting the crap beaten out of them in a fight and then just invoking a healing spell so they're all better next chapter). This was only a rare occurance. Otherwise, his Cale novels are fun sword and sorcery reads.

In general, I'm stoked by the announcement. I'm looking forward to readin his new stuff (hopefully) in his own worlds. He has a Star Wars novel coming out soon, I hope this doesn't mean he's moving from one shared world to another.

I don't have anything against shared world fiction in principle, it's just that most of the shared worlds don't intrigue me enough to delve into them. I don't play roleplaying games and haven't cared for any of the Star Wars expanded universe (with the exception of the Thrawn trilogy). If I had an inkling of the setting around Kemp's Star Wars novel, I'd definately give it a read.

Personally I have a feeling it might be over Wizards refusing to publish him in anything except Mass Market Paperback. In any case, I see nothing at all negative about this. I can see why authors write for shared world settings when they are gettings started, but I find it curious that authors stay on shared world settings after they have found some small level of success. I would think getting out from under the Corporate yolk of shared world settings to write original stories of their own devise would be the priority for any of these shared world writers.

Bob Salvatore is tortured by his lack of respect. To the point where he has a pseudonym and publishes other work to 'prove' he's not a bad author. Mostly to himself, I imagine. I like his work for the empty popcorn it is. (Can you guess Salvatore's alter ego?)

GRRM has never lacked love from critics. Arguing that losing to a phenomenon like HP correlates in any way simply shows ignorance.

I am not dismissing Kemp's talent. I'm ignorant of it. But he is writing in a ghetto, and has little chance of any sort of respect until he leaves it.

Sorry for being negative about Forgotten Realms. It was insensitive of me. I loved a lot of those books at one time. I did not mean to be elitist.

I do maintain, however, that authors tend to yearn for the acceptance and respect of their peers.

GRRM has never lacked love from critics. Arguing that losing to a phenomenon like HP correlates in any way simply shows ignorance.

Ah, the sweet smell of condescension... The Hugos are voted by the members of Worldcon, who, while perhaps not breathing the same rarefied air as Literary Elite such as yourself, have enough interest in sci-fi and fantasy literature to go to the effort and expense of attending the convention. They almost certainly, on average, have a lot more knowledge and appreciation of fantasy fiction than Joe Q. Public. And yet, HP won over what many believe to be the best book of ASOIAF. There may have been a lot of critical support for ASoS and GRRM, but in the end it was not enough to overcome the popular support for HP.

And in the end, even if they'd like to have the respect of their peers, I'll bet that most authors, if offered a choice, would prefer their novel to be a bestseller over it winning a Hugo. As Littlefinger said to Ned, you cannot eat pride.

I remember Salvatore once saying that he was interested in writing non-fiction (political science?) under a pseudonym. Is that what you're talking about, Stego? Or is he writing Fantasy under a different name as well?

Archived