Westeros Blog: Spoken Dothraki

Westeros

The Language Creation Society has kindly provided some audio samples of a few of the words David J. Peterson has created for the Dothraki language. It’ll be great to hear more in the future as the series, and the language, progresses. The LCS have started up a Facebook Page for Dothraki, as well as a Livejournal account.

George R.R. Martin has shared his own relationship to invented languages, and finishes up with needing to find out what, “It is known,” is in Dothraki.

Visit the Site!

Nice! Just as Tolkien's Elvish spoken in LOTR, and real ancient Egyptian spoken in Stargate, I think that spoken Dothraki will really add to the GOT film experience! Love the words and sounds of the language. Can't wait to hear it on the actor's lips. Perhaps a reason that HBO will not be sorry to reshoot some of the Dothraki and Dany footage.

Thanks for the links Ran. Just whets your appetite and enhances anticipation.

• 11 months later...

This is pretty cool! I wonder if George will use some of the created language of Peterson when writing the upcoming books as well? He certainly seems impressed.

I'm sure he will. Especially "It is known".

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

All interesting prospects. Any form of language certainly adds authenticity to the cultures highlited within the storylines....certainly a change from when foreigners in film were all portraied with either British Public School or American accents and bad make up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived