[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 1

Xray the Enforcer

Great Dolorous Edd line: "Never trust a cook, my lord. They'll prune you when you least expect it." Funny, and a really subtle bit of foreshadowing.

Mormont's crow eating his face. :shocked:

Lyanna Mormont's letter was kickass.

"They north rode with Robb" - is this a typo? Because if it's intentional, it reads really clumsily.

"Stannis Barahteon with a grievance was like a mastiff with a bone; he gnawed it down to splinters." Stannis in a sentence!

Great Dolorous Edd line: "Never trust a cook, my lord. They'll prune you when you least expect it." Funny, and a really subtle bit of foreshadowing.

Mormont's crow eating his face. :shocked:

Lyanna Mormont's letter was kickass.

"They north rode with Robb" - is this a typo? Because if it's intentional, it reads really clumsily.

"Stannis Barahteon with a grievance was like a mastiff with a bone; he gnawed it down to splinters." Stannis in a sentence!

I swear on everything sacred the Dolorous Edd line had me laughing for about 5 minutes. So funny.

I believe it is a typo. Ran has mentioned elsewhere that there may be about half a dozen throughout the book.

N

This must be one of the funniest chapters in the whole of asoiaf.

"This is not King's Landing" Stannis referring to Gilly and Craster's incestuous son was an absolute classic. Also the line about having more milk out of Gilly's teats and less talk out of her mouth, typical, hilarious Stannis.

Also, what is Melisandre talking about in reference to the "hinges of the world"? She states that the Wall is situated beneath on of the hinges of the world. It must have something to do with why the CoTF raised the Wall at that particular location, and perhaps more specifically, Castle Black.

LOL yeah, I got the feeeling that Stannis was ragging on Jon slightly, because he is starting to like him, as Melisandre points out latter.

Oh and "Better than whores milk aye" :lol:

It's good to see that Stannis can maintain a sense of humor even in such a bleak place. I hope we see much and more of Stannis AND Mel throughout the book.

This must be one of the funniest chapters in the whole of asoiaf.

"This is not King's Landing" Stannis referring to Gilly and Craster's incestuous son was an absolute classic. Also the line about having more milk out of Gilly's teats and less talk out of her mouth, typical, hilarious Stannis.

Also, what is Melisandre talking about in reference to the "hinges of the world"? She states that the Wall is situated beneath on of the hinges of the world. It must have something to do with why the CoTF raised the Wall at that particular location, and perhaps more specifically, Castle Black.

I too was laughing, at the prunes and then at this line. Oh, sweet gods. It was a good chapter.

Also, it's been a LONG time since ASOS and AFFC, but how did Sam and Gilly get back so fast? Or, have they left yet and this is some narrative time overlapping?

Can someone be so kind as to refresh my memory. I though Sam, Aemon, Gilly and her "baby" were on a bit of a trip.

I too was laughing, at the prunes and then at this line. Oh, sweet gods. It was a good chapter.

Also, it's been a LONG time since ASOS and AFFC, but how did Sam and Gilly get back so fast? Or, have they left yet and this is some narrative time overlapping?

Can someone be so kind as to refresh my memory. I though Sam, Aemon, Gilly and her "baby" were on a bit of a trip.

This chapter overlaps with the first few chapters of AFFC. Same with the whole book, actually. It's taking place at the same time, so we're going back in time to unseen POVs with the first 2/3 or so of this book.

I'd pay cash money for a book along the lines of "The Wisdom of Tollett."

And I also think Mel read into Jon's past a bit to pull out the "Then you know nothing, Jon Snow" line, but that seems a bit obvious. ;)

In the beginning of AFFC, they leave the wall. As ADWD is concurrent with much of Feast, we just saw them depart on the trip we followed in the prior book.

The narrative is overlapping with AFFC -- essentially you're reading the same part of the story (where Sam and Gilly are sent off on their trip) from a different POV.

Took me a bit of mental cobweb clearing before I sorted that myself.

Okay, good. I thought I was nuts. Maester Aemon! Wwhhaat!?

And yes, that last line by Melisandre was thoroughly creepy!

Just occurred to me, but if Mel really did read into Jon's past somehow, what else could she know that even Jon himself doesn't remember?

Was Mormont's raven so aggressive in the previous books (e.g. biting Sam, flying at Jon)? Is this a further indication that Mormont is a warg and that the raven is 'untaming' as the memory of Mormont leaves the bird? I also note the parallel between the raven eating Mormont's face and Varamyr saying that his wolves would eat him when he died.

I wonder if Jon will warg into the raven in order to spy on events beyond the wall?

Was Mormont's raven so aggressive in the previous books (e.g. biting Sam, flying at Jon)? Is this a further indication that Mormont is a warg and that the raven is 'untaming' as the memory of Mormont leaves the bird? I also note the parallel between the raven eating Mormont's face and Varamyr saying that his wolves would eat him when he died.

I wonder if Jon will warg into the raven in order to spy on events beyond the wall?

Varamyr = Old Bear's crow? Did he really have a final death? He was "flying around" after all. Fun to imagine, but probably not. Still, thanks for sparking the idea!

This chapter overlaps with the first few chapters of AFFC. Same with the whole book, actually. It's taking place at the same time, so we're going back in time to unseen POVs with the first 2/3 or so of this book.

I'd pay cash money for a book along the lines of "The Wisdom of Tollett."

And I also think Mel read into Jon's past a bit to pull out the "Then you know nothing, Jon Snow" line, but that seems a bit obvious. ;)

With Edd's luck he'd never see a copper from the sales of his book. The world would get his wisdom, yet as usual Edd gets nothing.

Archived