February 2012 - Leap Year Reads?

jdiddyesquire

Don't think anyone has made a thread yet.

I just finished the first book in the Legend of Eli Monpress omnibus by Rachel Aaron. Fun, but real shallow.

I'm working on Persepliquis, the last novel in Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. Sadly, I think it's one of the weaker of the 6 so far. Only about half way though, so lots of time to turn that impression around.

Think I'll go to The Ruined City by Paula Brandon or Exogen by T.C. McCarthy next.

I'm just about finished Magic Study and then onto the final book of the series, Fire Study by Maria Snyder. These have been entertaining so far.

Percepliquis and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon are up after that. (I like well researched historical fiction with a healthy dose of romance :blushing: )

I'm going to try to push through Hamilton's Confederation books. I read the first one a while back, but couldn't get into the whole possession thing. Gonna give it another shot.

I've reserved all the Culture books by Banks from my library. All the talk in the last months thread has made me want to re read them. Also got Wooding's Iron Jackal in my sights as well.

I'm going to try to push through Hamilton's Confederation books. I read the first one a while back, but couldn't get into the whole possession thing. Gonna give it another shot.

I've reserved all the Culture books by Banks from my library. All the talk in the last months thread has made me want to re read them. Also got Wooding's Iron Jackal in my sights as well.

I loved those Hamilton books until the possession stuff really got going. It kind of lost me a bit. A little too much fantasy for my SF tastes.

I've been slowly but surely getting caught up. I finished up Kultus by Richard Ford a week or so ago (will post a review soon). It was only OK. I'm not reading Control Point: Shadow Ops by Myke Cole which is excellent so far. There's a lot of buzz about this one, and from what I've read so far, it's well deserved.

I'm reading Vandermeer's The Weird anthology and then going to get back into Parallel Stories. I'm also buying Broken April and The Other City in real book form since they aren't on Kindle.

I'm reading Vandermeer's The Weird anthology and then going to get back into Parallel Stories. I'm also buying Broken April and The Other City in real book form since they aren't on Kindle.

If this is The Other City by Michal Ajvaz, that book is fucking excellent.

I've decided to switch between fantasy and non-fantasy books throughout the rest of the year. I just finished Rick Perlstein's Before the Storm and posted my first review on Amazon yesterday, now it's onto the first fantasy book of the year just started today: The Eye of the World.

Working on the rest of the year's schedule...

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. After I have a shed load of books to chose from. Stuck at about 50 pages into The City and The City. Don't know whether to finish that or read Mort by Pratchett or wait for Throne of the Crescent Moon.

Wyrd. I just finished Wyrd Sisters on a reread last month. Good choice.

Still working through Chris Wooding's Weavers of Saramyr, and I'm really enjoying it. But it will probably be awhile before I'm done with it because my reading time will be limited this week and next.

Reading Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht. Been meaning to pick this one up for a while now and I saw that it was free on kindle today. Couldn't turn that down. Its good so far.

Thanks for that :thumbsup: Yet another reason that I need to get a kindle ordered :leaving:

I finished Room by Emma Donoghue yesterday. I had the hardest time reading this book because it was breaking my heart. There were a couple of times that I had to stop reading because I didn't want to see what would happen next. A very intense and claustrophobic book. The amazing thing about it is that the author manages to give us the whole story through the eyes of a 5year old boy and the way he sees things, and that's one of the reasons this is so powerful and painful. I thought it was a brilliant read and it left me with feelings that still linger on, a full day later.

I just can't handle reading anything serious or deep right after this, so I'll try Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris.

Still working through Chris Wooding's Weavers of Saramyr, and I'm really enjoying it.  But it will probably be awhile before I'm done with it because my reading time will be limited this week and next.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:  Yet another reason that I need to get a kindle ordered :leaving:

There have been times that i have considered buying one myself, but the free kindle app on my phone works fine.

Archived