[Book Spoilers] What was up with Irri?

With Doreah dying at the start of CoK and she is still living in the show, she looks to replace Jhiqui (spelling?)

What was with the tension in that scene between Doreah and Irri, it almost seemed that Irri was jealous of Dany's bond with Doreah. Or is it something else?

Interesting new dynamic that was not in the books.

It was a combination of:

1. The Dothraki not fitting in to "civilized" life in Qarth

2. Doreah clearly does fit in, as does Dany.

3. Doreah supplanting Irri's place now that they're no longer living as Dothraki.

All of which makes perfect sense to me, and I'm really impressed that the writers thought of it and wrote it into the scripts. In the books, Dany's handmaidens started to blend into one another; Missandei was really the only one who stood apart, and she doesn't enter the story until DWD. I thought this was both necessary for fleshing out two supporting characters who don't get many lines, and brilliantly executed.

It was a combination of:

3. Doreah supplanting Irri's place now that they're no longer living as Dothraki.

All of which makes perfect sense to me, and I'm really impressed that the writers thought of it and wrote it into the scripts. In the books, Dany's handmaidens started to blend into one another; Missandei was really the only one who stood apart, and she doesn't enter the story until DWD. I thought this was both necessary for fleshing out two supporting characters who don't get many lines, and brilliantly executed.

This is exactly what I thought. The fact that the Dothraki are considered savages is important, and I think Irri was worried that Dany will forget about her ties to them in favor of this comfortable life in Qarth.

I thought it was a great addition and I am totally fine that they kept Doreah alive. I really like her in the show and think she is a helpful handmaiden to Dany.

Along with what everyone else has said, I think it also provides more tension for Dany: even her handmaidens are competing for her affection and respect. Dany is getting pulled in all directions from the numerous people vying for her attention, and she will soon have to prioritize whom comes first.

It was a combination of:

Good post, thanks. It will be interesting to see that dynamic being played out. Missandei was freed at Astapor, so she should be there next season. I wonder what role she will play - if she is cast for the show.

I'm also wondering why they kept Doreah alive for some purpose of the plot.

I'd have preferred gay Xaro and the real Qarth to this artificial conflict. Since they are introducing this kind of conflict, they really will go down this 'culture clash road' in future episodes as well, and this will steal screen time from more important plots.

I thought Dany and Irri were really catty towards Doreah in this episode. It was light Doreah couldn't say or do anything without getting snapped at.

I'd have preferred gay Xaro and the real Qarth to this artificial conflict. Since they are introducing this kind of conflict, they really will go down this 'culture clash road' in future episodes as well, and this will steal screen time from more important plots.

I'm sure Xaro is still gay on the show. His voice is definitely that of a regal gay man.

I really hope we get a scene where Irri reads Doreah for filth.

Haha. Why?!

Nope, it's confirmed that Xaro is a straight guy, and they seemed to have made him into Illyrio 2.0 (which is also a very crappy idea!), which Ran has thankfully already mentioned in his review. His sexuality is mentioned in this episode - he says that he oncer married for love or something like that.

Xaro could still be gay. But it was intriguing how different the proposal was in the books. Basically in the show Xaro is handing Dany the Iron Throne, purchasing ships and an army, everything she wants. It is an easy way, but something must happen that she chooses the hard path into Slaver's Bay - probably she finds out Xaro's lust for the dragons, or a dragon.

I thought Dany and Irri were really catty towards Doreah in this episode. It was light Doreah couldn't say or do anything without getting snapped at.

I get where you could say that Irri was catty towards Doreah, but what did Dany do? :dunno:

I was wondering what was wrong with Irri, too. But I agree it was mostly because she felt out of place and felt she was losing Dany.

I thought it was really cool, though, that Dany's going to use Doreah as a courtesan-spy, lol. Like Phedre in the book Kushiel's Dart.

Clearly Irri is none too happy about the culture change in Qarth, much less that Dany is seemingly going to be using Doreah to get info from Xaro. Interesting take on the role of handmaidens. I think that the writers are really making an effort with the supporting characters this season. Look at Littlefinger's prostitutes for instance - used to show how evil Joffrey is.

I liked how the Dothraki didnt fit themselves at all in the culture of Qarth... Irri's having some troubles accepting her Khaleesi isnt just a Khaleesi, but much more, she's realizing Daenerys is not entirely of her culture and I guess it upsets her to understand how wrong she was about that... I liked that the showrunners put this in the series.

Haha. Why?!

Because Doreah quite clearly thinks she somethin, trying to play with Drogon when he obviously wants to sleep. Irri's got the T. Also, I think it would be interesting to see how a Dothraki throws shade.

Archived