[Book Spoilers] Robb's Wedding

K.C.

Robb's family worships the Old Gods, and Talissa (Jeyne) is from Volantis, which in the books is home to R'hllor's temple. But they're married by a septon and say vows to the Seven.

Can someone provide some insight into why this is? It's too large a detail to be a mere oversight.

Robb's family worships the Old Gods, and Talissa (Jeyne) is from Volantis, which in the books is home to R'hllor's temple. But they're married by a septon and say vows to the Seven.

Can someone provide some insight into why this is? It's too large a detail to be a mere oversight.

What it is, is an insult!!! Yeah, she is from Volantis, that doesn't mean she worships R'hlor, but she sure as hell doesn't worship the seven!! Even if she did, the king's religion is the one that matters, and Robb prays to the Old Gods without a doubt!!! He was the heir to Winterfell, I'm sure that Ned wouldn't have accepted him praying to the Seven, like Sansa does :(

Anyway, I guess, maybe because they were in the Westerlands, they couldn't find a weirwood tree, so they had to settle for a septon.

There are no heart trees south of the Neck that are accessible. The Tullys follow the Seven. Two excusable reasons, given his position and hasty marriage.

The Karstark scene can be excused on account of the character's frustration perhaps?

Still two noticable continuity and backdrop errors.

the writers are idiots. That's my reason. I excused Karstark mentioning the mother, but there's no way I'll take any excuse for the KING IN THE NORTH marrying in the name of the Seven.

:agree: they should be more carefull with the differend religions

I rarely, if ever complain about the show. I absolutely love it. This set my hair on fire. The simple reason for it is that the writers contradicted their own writing here. That is a first. I could forgive the Karstark reference to the father as something that would be said as a matter of every day speech and have nothing to do with his religion, but it is absolutely established that a huge reason that the North can unite is the worship of the old gods. This was a grievous error, and it took me away from the rest of the show.

I rarely, if ever complain about the show. I absolutely love it. This set my hair on fire. The simple reason for it is that the writers contradicted their own writing here. That is a first. I could forgive the Karstark reference to the father as something that would be said as a matter of every day speech and have nothing to do with his religion, but it is absolutely established that a huge reason that the North can unite is the worship of the old gods. This was a grievous error, and it took me away from the rest of the show.

Is it ever said in the book series which gods Robb took? Jon's gods were the old gods and Sansa's where the 7. Heck, Arya will eventually worship the many faced god. Not to mention Stanis turning away from the seven.

:bang: because they don't want to confuse the in their opinion stupid tv-viewers with 3 religions... so everyone on westeros beliefs in the faith of the seven and Stannis has R'hlor

The problem though is that they haven't done that and I think it's caused more confusion. The Ironmen talk about the Drowned God all the time. There's been plenty of talk of the Old Gods and the weirwoods. They just seem to forget who worships who occasionally.

Is it ever said in the book series which gods Robb took? Jon's gods were the old gods and Sansa's where the 7. Heck, Arya will eventually worship the many faced god. Not to mention Stanis turning away from the seven.

Robb follows the Old Gods, there are a few scenes where we see him praying in front of a heart tree (when he first comes to Riverrun for example).

Besides, even Ned wouldn't be so clueless politically as to allow his heir to follow other religion than the Old Gods and thus alienate his bannermen, the vast majority of which follow the Old Gods.

:bang: because they don't want to confuse the in their opinion stupid tv-viewers with 3 religions... so everyone on westeros beliefs in the faith of the seven and Stannis has R'hlor

Is that why Jon took his vows before a heart tree? Seriously guys...... They have mentioned the Seven, the Old Gods, R'hlor, The Drowned god and the Many Faced god is sure to come.

Robb follows the Old Gods, there are a few scenes where we see him praying in front of a heart tree (when he first comes to Riverrun for example).

Besides, even Ned wouldn't be so clueless politically as to allow his heir to follow other religion than the Old Gods and thus alienate his bannermen, the vast majority of which follow the Old Gods.

And yet he didn't care that his daughter followed the seven?

I was also bothered by this,but I thought that was some detail justifying it somewhere that I missed, somehow...

Anyway, I think samrtk pointed valid reasons for the marriage being like that. I assume they'd marry again, properly, under a heart tree if they ever reached North.

Now, the Karstark thing is bizarre. It's hard to keep track of everyone's religions, but I hope they'll remember it better next season...

And yet he didn't care that his daughter followed the seven?

Sansa was not Ned's heir, and chances were she would marry a Southerner and leave Winterfell.

Sansa follows both religions, so I guess there's a chance Robb did it too, but it's never mentioned in the books IIRC, so most likely not. Westeros is pretty tolerant religiously for the most part, but I don't see the North accepting Ned's heir following the Southern religion.

Well, what gods do the Frey keep? If they are (or pretend to be) pious worshippers of the Old Gods, they may throw this travesty in Robb's face as yet another treason on his part leading to the RW. This seems too blatant an oversight to be just that. It may also be a way to foreshadow the RW: they do marry under bad auspices... What I'm more concerned about is the fact that Talissa apparently really is Talissa.

Archived