Sandor Clegane

Robb_

*Spoilers from a third of the way through AFFC*

I just finished the chapter in which Brienne and the Elderly Brother are talking in her chambers, and I'm so annoyed that The Hound does actually appear to be dead... I knew that it was not him who had attacked Saltpans, but I was fairly certain that he was still alive just because he was so awesome and we never seen him die "on screen".

Ah well, another of my favourites bite the dust. No doubt one of Sansa, Arya, Jon or Brienne will be next :(

Robb_, Although this very well may be the case that Sandor is dead there are rumors that speculate Sandor Clegane is still alive and it was only "The Hound" that was killed. Meaning that "The Hound" was only an evil part of Sandor's persona and it was killed and now Sandor is to become more of a "good" character. It's just speculation at this point since no one really saw him die and his death rumors are only here say. Needless to say if Sandor really is dead many fans will be disappointed on how GRRM chose to kill him off. Here's to hoping Sandor lives * fingers crossed*

Well, there's a theory that he's still alive ...

He's the gravedigger on the Quiet Island.

Thanks for that... I need to go back a few pages and give that bit about the gravedigger a quick reread then.

Robb_, Although this very well may be the case that Sandor is dead there are rumors that speculate Sandor Clegane is still alive and it was only "The Hound" that was killed. Meaning that "The Hound" was only an evil part of Sandor's persona and it was killed and now Sandor is to become more of a "good" character. It's just speculation at this point since no one really saw him die and his death rumors are only here say. Needless to say if Sandor really is dead many fans will be disappointed on how GRRM chose to kill him off. Here's to hoping Sandor lives * fingers crossed*

Thinking about it, it would make sense. Especially linked with the tall rookie gravedigger. I really do hope he is alive, he is/was such a good character.

He's one of my favorites. I doubt we'll hear more of him though, that entire scene with the priest describing "the Hound's" death had a feeling of finality to it.

...Exactly how you'd want the story to sound, if for some reason you were trying to convince people he was dead.[/conspiracy theory]

While I actually think it would be very cool for a semi-major character like Sandor to die "offscreen", there seem to be too many hints otherwise. There's the background gravedigger, the fact that Sandor's said to be "at peace" and not explicitly dead, and the presence of his horse in the stable. It was established that Stranger bites and kicks at everyone except Sandor...so how would they be keeping him?

I think the man we all knew is worm food, I had a love/hate relationship with Sandor and even times I could feel for his pain. But even though he did some good I still felt that it didn't make up for everything he did that was just evil.

Uhh what exactly did he do that was evil? The only bad thing he did in the entire series was kill Mycah, and he was only following orders.

...Exactly how you'd want the story to sound, if for some reason you were trying to convince people he was dead.[/conspiracy theory]

While I actually think it would be very cool for a semi-major character like Sandor to die "offscreen", there seem to be too many hints otherwise. There's the background gravedigger, the fact that Sandor's said to be "at peace" and not explicitly dead, and the presence of his horse in the stable. It was established that Stranger bites and kicks at everyone except Sandor...so how would they be keeping him?

I like this theory, and looking back at it now I wonder how I might not have picked it up... although, I specifically remember reading this chapter while I was at work, so I probably wasn't giving it the proper attention that it deserved. I'll have to pay more attention to this when I go back to re-read the series.

Oh, I think he's still alive, I just don't think GRRM will be bringing him back anymore. His part of the story is over.

Oh, I think he's still alive, I just don't think GRRM will be bringing him back anymore. His part of the story is over.

I respectfully disagree. With the rearming of the Faith, I think the Isle and at least two of it's brothers will play an important role in the Warrior's Sons storyline. I don't think Sandor's story is quite finished yet, or at least I hope not!

I would love to see Sandor make a reappearance, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. I sort of think GRRM is going to allow him to live out his days serenely on the Quiet Isle. He certainly deserves it after all of the troubles and turmoil he's seen in his life.

I would love to see Sandor make a reappearance, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. I sort of think GRRM is going to allow him to live out his days serenely on the Quiet Isle. He certainly deserves it after all of the troubles and turmoil he's seen in his life.

:bawl: Noooooo!

I guess it's wishful thinking, but I don't want to imagine the rest of the story with out him. It just seems too tragic to have him live his life (so far, at least) only out for revenge and killing never getting to quiet his own demons. I hope that while he is on the Isle he gets the peace he deserves, but still retains a little of the Hound's fire inside him (no pun intended). I want what little bit of the Hound that's left to come out and fight for the Faith at some point. Not necessarily against Ser Robert Strong, though.

I have to say the clues towards Sandor's fate are rather blunt to the point of being deluding.

I agree, and I've wondered if they're not so pointed that they're a red herring. I hope not, because I harbor the hope that we'll see Sandor again, but I'm not counting on it.

I just wonder if he will even be the same character.

Will he still be ruthless? Out for revenge? In love with Sansa?

A damaged pacifistic sober Sandor with a not ironically named horse might be less fun limping around than a dead Sandor.

well... If he IS alive, I hope he becomes the personal guard of the high septon :)

That would be a twist, and he would still be able to use his sword...

I thought he was dead for sure when I read the book, but after reading the comments on the forum, I am no longer certain...

I surely hope he's alive. I had a huge fit after I read this chapter, and was politely told to reread it again more carefully and pay attention to some of those background characters. After doing so it was almost like a slap in the face how obvious it seemed. So I REALLY hope he's alive, and if he is, so help me, I hope he stays that way...

Archived