Does anyone find Magaery's accusations pointless?

Lady Winter Rose

IMO, the point was to show Cersei being caught up in a mess of her own making.

Margaery seems set to be acquitted. But, her chances may plummet if evidence emerges that she was involved in Joffrey's murder.

If you mean was it pointless for Cersei to accuse Margery of her fornications, perhaps. However, it just showed how desperate, threatened, and crazy she was at this point. Father had died, her brother that killed him couldn't be found, she was losing her brother/lover, the power was beginning to shift to Margery, and Margery was more loved by the common people than she ever was. So she felt she needed to do something to taint the seemingly perfect Tyrell Queen. Plus, she thought she had the backing of the Kettleblacks in her favour.

It's not a boring plot(If you mean the plot of the story). I find it quite amusing to see Margery drop her sweet face and confront Cersei in that way. She's like Anne Boleyn. Also, it gives Mace a reason to oppose the Lannisters. He and Cersei are all alone in KL now (with no Kevan or Tywin to soothe the conflict).

I'd just say that if you think you can easily predict what will happen at the trial, and yet the build up for it has been great for the last two books, maybe GRRM means to turn the tables on us and give us a huge shock when it actually happens.

Margaery seems set to be acquitted. But, her chances may plummet if evidence emerges that she was involved in Joffrey's murder.

I am guessing that Tyene Sand in her cozing up with the High Septon is going to set it up so Margaery is found guilty, thus ensuring more chaos that assists Aegon and the Martells.

It's so easy to see accusations are made up. And worse, whole plot is boring. You could easily predict what will happen on the trial. So? I am missing something or this whole mess s pointless?

Something tells me GRRM is going to make you regret saying that. ;)

His plot is an extremely intricate one and he rarely ever does anything without a purpose: if Margaery was going to be released without any issues whatsoever, Martin would've skipped over her trial and had it take place off-screen by now. The entire plot-line in King's Landing in AFFC/ADWD is centered around the growing power-struggle between the Lannisters and the Tyrells and Martin's storylines rarely just peter out without any conclusion. While Margaery's trial may seem innocuous, something tells me it will have major ramifications.

GRRM always has a tendency to lure his readers into a fall sense of security and then completely pull the rug out from under us: the fact that Margaery seems completely safe and Cersei almost screwed should be a hint that he's about to give us another unexpected twist: my pet theory has always been that Cersei is going to get away with her crimes (for now) thanks to Robert Strong, while Margaery is wrongfully executed due to fabricated evidence, placed there by Varys to destroy the Lannister/Tyrell alliance. If anyone's actually radical enough to execute Margaery, it would be the current High Septon.

If you mean was it pointless for Cersei to accuse Margery of her fornications, perhaps. However, it just showed how desperate, threatened, and crazy she was at this point. Father had died, her brother that killed him couldn't be found, she was losing her brother/lover, the power was beginning to shift to Margery, and Margery was more loved by the common people than she ever was. So she felt she needed to do something to taint the seemingly perfect Tyrell Queen. Plus, she thought she had the backing of the Kettleblacks in her favour.

add beautiful and that's maggy the frogs prophecy which was eating away at cersei driving her crazy and part of her motivation for going for her

I'd just say that if you think you can easily predict what will happen at the trial, and yet the build up for it has been great for the last two books, maybe GRRM means to turn the tables on us and give us a huge shock when it actually happens.

Varys, Tyene and Nymeria Sand, Cersei, all have a vested interest in seeing Margaery found guilty. So, it could happen.

credit to grrm that its so regular on here people still say the story is very easy to predict and who obviously haven't learned there lesson, the last trial of tyrions was the story of his death and then at the last minute things changed dramatically

Something tells me GRRM is going to make you regret saying that. ;)

His plot is an extremely intricate one and he rarely ever does anything without a purpose: if Margaery was going to be released without any issues whatsoever, Martin would've skipped over her trial and had it take place off-screen by now. The entire plot-line in King's Landing in AFFC/ADWD is centered around the growing power-struggle between the Lannisters and the Tyrells and Martin's storylines rarely just peter out without any conclusion. While Margaery's trial may seem innocuous, something tells me it will have major ramifications.

GRRM always has a tendency to lure his readers into a fall sense of security and then completely pull the rug out from under us: the fact that Margaery seems completely safe and Cersei almost screwed should be a hint that he's about to give us another unexpected twist: my pet theory has always been that Cersei is going to get away with her crimes (for now) thanks to Robert Strong, while Margaery is wrongfully executed due to fabricated evidence, placed there by Varys to destroy the Lannister/Tyrell alliance. If anyone's actually radical enough to execute Margaery, it would be the current High Septon.

I couldn't see the Tyrells permitting Margaery's execution, even if she were found guilty of adultery (and Randyll Tarly has her in his custody). I think the likeliest outcome is she'd be sent back to Highgarden in disgrace, or forced to become a Silent Sister.

But, if it developed into a trial for murdering Joffrey, and she were found guilty of that, I think it would be much harder for them to save her.

I couldn't see the Tyrells permitting Margaery's execution, even if she were found guilty of adultery (and Randyll Tarly has her in his custody). I think the likeliest outcome is she'd be sent back to Highgarden in disgrace, or forced to become a Silent Sister.

But, if it developed into a trial for murdering Joffrey, and she were found guilty of that, I think it would be much harder for them to save her.

if shes found guilty she may just start talking to save her own skin and get olenna, loras and others in trouble, sending loras to the wall and olenna executed bringing down the tyrells, remember the people of westeros can be extremely stupid if it makes for a good story and that's one of the reasons nothings predictable

on the flip side she may be ok and cersei could be found guilty and instead of being executed is sent to "wherever whores go" where she bumps in to tyrion who rapes her repeatedly while forcing her to shout "giant of lannister" before getting bored and killing her

if shes found guilty she may just start talking to save her own skin and get olenna, loras and others in trouble, sending loras to the wall and olenna executed bringing down the tyrells, remember the people of westeros can be extremely stupid if it makes for a good story and that's one of the reasons nothings predictable

I'd really like to have Margaery's POV. I think she's pretty sly and cunning, and was implicated both in murdering Joffrey (for which I don't blame her) and framing Sansa (for which I do). Cersei's right to regard her as a threat, although her plot to destroy her was inept. I don't know if she's the sort of person who would go to the Block in order to save the rest of her family, or if she'd try to save her own life by implicating other family members in the murder plot.

on the flip side she may be ok and cersei could be found guilty and instead of being executed is sent to "wherever whores go" where she bumps in to tyrion who rapes her repeatedly while forcing her to shout "giant of lannister" before getting bored and killing her

Well, I would love to see either (although latter is disgusting), just not Marg free of charges at all.

I just think The Trial is big unnecessary mess, and on top of that, annoyingly predictable. Have nothing against something predictable, but you can't discuss possibility of Marg getting "guilty" verdict" without "Marg would be found innocent". And that's annoys me.

Archived