The Greyjoys or the Martells?

Ser Luke.

Two houses that became much more important in A Feast for Crows. Which of these houses do you prefer?

I'm going to have to go with the controversial choice and say i think the Greyjoy men are far more interesting and badass than the Martells. Oberyn was one hell of an awesome character, but after his death the Dornish stuff was never really that interesting to me.

For the Iron Islands, we've got Aeron, Victarion, Theon, Asha, and Euron, who are all great characters. In fact, I even find Aeron to be incredibly underrated. I think he's quite complex and I'm looking forward to learning more about him in TWOW. On the other hand, the only two characters I really like who are Martells would be Oberyn and Doran, one of which is dead.

The Greyjoys are also all in currently intense situations. Euron is raiding the Reach, Victarion is heading towards Dany, Theon and Asha are Stannis' captives, and who knows what the hell Aeron is up to :dunno:

Meanwhile, the Martells aren't doing much of anything. Does anybody really give a damn about Darkstar? :lol:

So which house do you guys prefer? I'm interested to find out.

The ironborn definitely have interesting story lines, and I honestly found Theon's story arc in book 5 more compelling than all of the Dornish chapters combined from books 4 and 5; however, I think that this is mostly because the Dornish chapters are set-up rather than pay-off, so I'm not going to say that I dislike the Martells because of that.

Part of the reason I also find the Dornish chapters less interesting is that, apart from Doran and Oberyn, all of the other characters seem like undifferentiated blobs. The Sand Snakes so far all share a single personality and I can't tell them apart, Areo acts like a movie camera, silently watching and recording everything that happens, I liked Arianne but we were evicted out of her head after two chapters, and Darkstar has had, what, three pages of time in two books? I'm fairly confident that all of this will change in the next two books but right now the ironborn characters are actually doing things while the Dornishmen are on the verge of doing things.

Martells 100% i dislike the ironborn alot. Victarion i actually like and theon has some ok qualities, i am the rare reader who dislikes Euron, Aeron and Asha.

Martells are more interesting to me plus they have Hotah, and i am a sucker for the loyal guys/gals

Well, if I were to rank the members of both Houses based on how much I like them:

1. Asha

2. Oberyn

3. Theon

4. Victarion

5. Quentyn

6. Arianne

7. Aeron

8. Trystane

9. Balon

10. Doran

11. Euron

Using a points system of giving the winner 11 points, and one point less for each position below that (so 2nd gets 10 points, 3rd gets 9 points all the way down to 11th gets 1 point), it comes out as:

House Greyjoy: 37 points

House Martell: 29 points

So, in conclusion, I like the Greyjoys more.

Well, if I were to rank the members of both Houses based on how much I like them:

1. Asha

2. Oberyn

3. Theon

4. Victarion

5. Quentyn

6. Arianne

7. Aeron

8. Trystane

9. Balon

10. Doran

11. Euron

Using a points system of giving the winner 11 points, and one point less for each position below that (so 2nd gets 10 points, 3rd gets 9 points all the way down to 11th gets 1 point), it comes out as:

House Greyjoy: 37 points

House Martell: 29 points

So, in conclusion, I like the Greyjoys more.

I like your system and am going to steal it!

1. Asha

2. Oberyn

3. Doran

4. Arianne

5. Theon

6. Trystane

7. Quentyn

8. Euron

9. Aeron

10. Balon

11. Victarion

Martells - 38 points

Greyjoys - 28 points

Yep, Martells win despite being short a player.

I like your system and am going to steal it!

1. Asha

2. Oberyn

3. Doran

4. Arianne

5. Theon

6. Trystane

7. Quentyn

8. Euron

9. Aeron

10. Balon

11. Victarion

Martells - 38 points

Greyjoys - 28 points

Yep, Martells win despite being short a player.

I'll play this too, I suppose.

1. Oberyn

2. Euron

3. Arianne

4. Victarion

5. Doran

6. Tyene

7. Theon

8. Aeron

9. Nymeria

10. Asha

11. Quentyn

Martell: 37

Greyjoy: 29

The Greyjoys. Theon is one of my absolute favorite characters, I like Asha, Victarions chapters are entertaining, and I never had any mayor problems with Aeron. And Euron is an interesting antagonist. The Martell on the other hand... well, Oberyn was cool, and Doran deserves respect, but Arianne and Quentyn were rather uninteresting as POV characters. I've got nothing to say about Trystane. The Sand Snakes are all interesting, but Sarella is the only among them whom I really like.

Martells, no contest.

1) they've actually shown the ability to play the game

2) they don't have a sexist, rape glorifying culture

3) they're not a bunch of rowdy pirates who can't sustain a castle

4) Dorne's never been conquered

5) minus Asha all the Greyjoys are painfully dumb

6) Dorne empowers women

7) Oberyn looked after his bastards, even though they were girls

8) the Martells have actual family bonds

9) Doran knows they can't fight off the Lannisters so he waits. Euron and Balon on the other hand think they can invade richer and stronger regions

10) people actually take the Martells seriously

The Martell's no contest. Aside from Theon and Asha, I don't care much for any of the Greyjoy's. I think the reason why people were so annoyed with the Dornish storyline in the last 2 books is because that a lot of it was setup, whereas the Greyjoy storyline is already in the swing of things. I'm heavily anticipating to see what Doran has planned for TWOW. I think the Dornish storyline will be one of the most compelling and interesting viewpoints of the next 2 books.

Archived