Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

<p>Last season, fans of <em>Game of Thrones</em> were introduced to the cocky, dangerous sellsword <a href="http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Characters/Entry/Daario_Naharis">Daario Naharis</a>, played by Ed Skrein. Now word is out that the role has been recast&mdash;no reasons stated, but they can be quite mundane&mdash;and stepping into the role is another HBO alumni <a href="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-books-treme-alum-616705">accorrding to the Hollywood Reporter</a>. Daario will now be played by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiel_Huisman">Michiel Huisman</a>, a Dutch actor and musician who&rsquo;s been featured in HBO&rsquo;s <em>Treme</em> (aside: a show I very highly recommend!).</p>

<p>For a taste of the actor&rsquo;s work, below you&rsquo;ll find a brief clip from the BBC&rsquo;s <em>Rudolf and Margot</em>, where Huisman plays famed Russian ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev:</p>

<strong><a href="http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Daario_Naharis_Recast">read on &gt;&gt;&gt;</a></strong>

Visit the Site!

I am quite conflicted about this change. On the one hand, like Ran, I am a fan of Treme, and Michiel Huisman is great in it; he really captures the sleazy scumbag vibe quite well. With this in mind, I think he will make a very good Daario (providing that the writing and direction are on par), and is better suited to the role than Ed Skrein. Whether Huisman will speak with an accent or not; whether he will retain his facial hair; whether he will be made to wear the same wig as Skrein or have his own hair styled; all of that remains to be seen.

However, at the same time, I am not a fan of recasting in general, and this change has the potential to be very jarring. At the same time, it could work out fine, as did the recasting of Octavian in Rome, which was unfortunately necessary due to the show's length being cut. It's all up in the air at the moment.

I one hundred percent knew this would happen. Watch Season 3 again and watch how they cut around him and how his ADR was done. (People laughed when I posted a thread on the subject, but I am sure he has been dubbed in the last series.) It looks like a lot of his performance was constructed in the editing room.

UKS

I one hundred percent knew this would happen. Watch Season 3 again and watch how they cut around him and how his ADR was done. (People laughed when I posted a thread on the subject, but I am sure he has been dubbed in the last series.) It looks like a lot of his performance was constructed in the editing room.

UKS

You could very well be right! I definitely noticed that there was something up with his ADR. Going to take a closer look at some of his scenes now.

UKS

So....how did you know this would happen?

UKS

What is "ADR" (and what was wrong with it ?)

I hate recasting, and this one may feel even weirder...People didn't really notice the Mountain or even Tommen who where introduced with a lot of other characters, viewers where focusing on main characters...But Daario was introduced as an important character, and my non-reader friend mentionned him quickly when we were talking about the show...But I wasn't fond of him, so I don't know how to feel...

I'm okay with this. I didn't really like Ed Skrein in the role; don't know why exactly...I just never sensed any chemistry between him and Emilia. I do think it will be jarring for strict TV fans, but I think it's for the better.

What is "ADR" (and what was wrong with it ?)

I hate recasting, and this one may feel even weirder...People didn't really notice the Mountain or even Tommen who where introduced with a lot of other characters, viewers where focusing on main characters...But Daario was introduced as an important character, and my non-reader friend mentionned him quickly when we were talking about the show...But I wasn't fond of him, so I don't know how to feel...

ADR = Dubbing or re-recording ("Automated Dialogue Replacement"). It's a film industry term for when they hire someone to re-record dialogue over the screen when the original actor (in this case, Ed Skrein) doesn't have the right sound or accent for the role. Or more often when the voice is obscured by the special effects or misrecorded or something.

This show has more recastings than an American soap opera. We have Karstark, Dondarrion, the Mountain, the High Septon, and soon Daario and Tommen on the list. Who knows how many more freaky changes will occur.

It's probably too late for the blue beard ("Oh, by the way my grace, do you mind if I dye my hair blue and grow out a beard?").

Kind of torn. I'm not generally inclined to care about anything Daario related and wasn't crazy over Skrein but this is really the first time that a major character has been recast. I don't think you can say the Mountain with his one S1 scene counts.

I hadn't noticed anything odd about his performance though so I'll be keen on looking out for that on rewatches.

We have Karstark, Dondarrion, the Mountain, the High Septon, and soon Daario and Tommen on the list. Who knows how many more freaky changes will occur.

To be fair, Dondarrion and the High Septon were never cast as anything but featured extras.

I for one welcome this news. This guy did a pretty good job on Treme playing an absolute asshole in season 1 to someone I quite symphasized with at the end of season 2, which surely bodes well for Daario, who we're never quite sure how genuine he is. Plus the original actor was definitely not up to scratch.

Is this for real? So far only the Hollywood Reporter is giving the Daario recast news, other sites just say Michiel Huisman has been added to the show in an unspecified role.

I've heard unspecified rumours that he's been recast as Jaime Lannister.

Archived