GOODKIND IV

Werthead

The cover of Stone of Tears shows Richard with a beard, and at a quick glance it looks like he has a pony tail, but its just something on his back unfortuneately.

It's a pony tail that isn't a pony tail! :P

I see that cover and every time I think "beard and pony tail" right away. I can't help it.

:rofl:

Very true.

Interesting array of awards. I'd watch out that Mystar doesn't do the same to GRRM's Wiki page.

Well, see the thing is... I have scruples. I may as you put it defend to a fault, but I do have respect and honor. One thing you would never find is me doing anything so loathsome as that.

I again point out how well you have shown your lack of any. You at one point though it a pointed statement to me posting a couple of comments defending Goodkind on a few MB's,, that I must have no life, pull off some pictures of my home and yard (to which I am very proud to have built, tended and nurtured) attempting to make it some sort of mockery. Though your attempt to may it a pejorative, I take pride in it, so you lose... Your week attempt at attacking my three-year-old child.... I took a step back. You have no idea where you tread on that note. I will offer up a kind and honest warning. Leave my child or his up bringing out of any such commentary. I take any commentary toward my child as serious in the extreme. That is indeed a show of your utter lack of integrity. YOU show your impotence at such an action. You do not know what you tread on when you wrongly drag the innocence that is my child into your choleric diatribe. Please leave my child out of your bilious postings.

As for your modifications to Goodkind’s Wikipedia page, again you have proven just how trite and loathsome you really are. Do you really think that you are making Goodkind look bad when you do such things... I'm truly sorry for the lot of you. That you feel you must stoop to such chicanery is beyond me. Does it make you feel...what? I can only imagine you are doing such to cover up the truth of the matter. You are indeed jealous and secretly admire the yeard himself, else you would not go to such lengths. Telling indeed...or 'scuse me... I forgot... "metta...just metta"..yeah I think that’s it... Personally I think some of you just yearn to be held as a pantheon to your little gaggle of hate mongers...

Yes below the belt indeed. There is a line and you have shown your lack of integrity by not just crossing it, but gleefully thrashing it into oblivion. It is you people who have no life, by trying so hard to ruin another’s life, ridicule his life and work. Shallow and telling indeed.

Yes below the belt indeed. There is a line and you have shown your lack of integrity by not just crossing it, but gleefully thrashing it into oblivion. It is you people who have no life, by trying so hard to ruin another’s life, ridicule his life and work. Shallow and telling indeed.

"And black as well, said the raven of the crow."

(...great, I'm quoting Cersei...:P)

No. That would be subjectivist. Either it is evil, or it is not!

No, look at C/NaC's genius. By defining it subjectively, she has confirmed it's fowlness. Further it strikes at the very truth of the evilness of the chicken that is not a chicken; it is evil because it is against it's nature, it lacks definition, it is an A that is not A. Truly this speaks to the greater truth of Terry Goodkind that he could craft such symbolism, and toC/NaC's genius, that she could illustrate such a truth so eloquently.

Mystar - while I (sort of) agree with two of your main posts, that mentioning your child was low and that changing the Wiki site was juvenile, you're generalizing so much it hurts.

It seems you saw a chance to play martyr, and jumped right to it. There was one guy who said something about not wanting to be brought up by you. Classless, I agree.

There was also just one guy who changed the wiki article (and it wasn't me, even though Werthead made it look like that after thanking me when all I did was inform him that the page was back to normal. Thanks, dude!). Crass and childish, but hardly crime against humanity. The changes were so obvious that there was no way they'd be left standing (as I presume the culprit was well aware of).

But we are not one big symbiotic hippie mob armed only with our hatred for moral clarity. We do not all automatically endorse and agree with every thing one of us say or do. So go after the individuals who made these two blunders, but don't accost this magnificent group as a whole, please. That is almost like obliviously crashing over the line that is (or is it?).

The main point of these threads is that Goodkind suck unfathomably hard as a writer. In addition to this he has an inflated ego and delusions of grandeur. He makes for an easy target. It's like they gave one of the rambling conspiracy hobos living under the bridge a book contract.

By the way, I also think it's cool that you've built your own house and yard. I could not have done that. I also don't think anyone here really cares enough to make that the butt of their jokes (yeah, I know one guy mentioned it, but as an explanation of the origin of the now immortal phrase YEARD). So come off it, join the dark side and don't kick girls in the face!

Thank you. Not to be a party-pooper, but that can be anguish we really could do without.

Also note that under AWARDS, TG hasn't actually won anything. I mean, is 49th place on Best SF/Fantasy Author of the Decade in Locus (a reader-voted poll) something to boast about? He's never been nominated for an award of distinction at all (Hugo, Nebula, World Fantasy etc).

It also says at the beginning that he's sold 50 million copies, and it's got a source for the information. I had thought that 50 million figure was an exaggeration. If he really has sold 50 million, how much has Jordan sold? It's surprisingly difficult to find accurate sales figures, but TOR always seem to treat Jordan as their bestselling author rather than Goodkind, and put quite a bit more marketing behind Jordan. I'd be surprised if he had sold less, but I hadn't realised the numbers were quite so high.

@ Mystar - sorry about that, it wasn't intended as an insult, just as a warning (perhaps tactless) that if someone's willing to change the Goodkind section, a Goodkind fan may equally change the Martin section. I didn't even know you had a child, and I don't think most of the posters here knew, either. Any insult to him, or his unbringing, was entirely unintentional, at least on my part.

"that I must have no life" - I'm pretty certain you said that first.

I really have my doubts that this mystar person reads any thread other than those devoted to his Goodkind. If he did he would have noticed that in this forums there are many points of view. We have people who loves Erikson and people who cannot stand a few pages of his writing without throwing Gardens of the Moon through the window (and not caring if the window is open or closed). He should have noticed that there are those who enjoy reading Bakker and those who loathe anything that he writes and blame those who recommended The Darkness that Comes Before to them the torture of having to face that obscure prose. He surely would have noticed that these groups meet in several threads and there is so much heat produced that new laws of thermodynamics have to be advanced to explain the whole thing.

We have people that likes Erikson, Bakker, Jordan, even there are those who have confessed liking Eddings (and have found solidarity and understanding :P ).

If this mystar person had taken upon himself to really visit these forums and not restricted his presence to those discussions where Goodkind was being commented he would have seen that there are many points of view and that people criticised or defended many authors.

Something that he would have also noticed would have been that Goodkind, unlike most of authors, draws many critics and little number of people ready to defend his writings, even though it has been agreed, by most of his critics, that there are authors far worse than him around. Surely, after some unbiased thinking any reasonable person would have decided that even if we counted to whole "Let's have a laught at the yearded one" trend, there could be some reasons for people to not liking Goodkind and being terribly opposed to his writings and personal thinking.

The same way the lack of stalwart defenders of Goodkindism could be considered to be the result of peer pressure (people being cowed into not defending the Yearded One by a bunch of evil bullies) but if he had read other threads he would have seen that in these forums people is rarely scared to say what they want to say.

In any case any sensible person would have tried to undersand what the critics had to say and in the case that this person was unconvinced he simply would have let them alone with what he would have considered to be their silly antics. Doing otherwise would be a clear sign of lack of security and personality.

A sensible person would never have generalised and considered their adversaries to be a single entity, a multi headed monster. Considering those who not side with you a single thing, a representation of evil is just one of the classic attitudes of certain political systems. The next thing you are doing is to massacre unarmed peace demonstrators or kicking little girl's faces, because their are the representation of evil.

Two last things to end this:

If this mystar person would have read some other threads of these forums he would have noticed that nobody uses the "you need a life" tactic. It's so classless.

And welcome back to these forums mystar. At least you are beginning to fit in. Great posters have gone through the "That's it; I'm leaving!-No, wait, I'm returning"! phase. Now you just need to read some other threads and learn some about us. :P

Okay, once again, there is no way Goodkind has sold 50 million copies of his books. I was Werthead's source in that post he wrote commenting on that.

I just fired off an email at my contacts at Tor Books to see if I can get ballpark figures pertaining to his North American sales. For Goodkind to have sold 50 million copies worldwide, he would need to have sold between 25 and 30 million copies of his novels in the USA and Canada alone, which would be more than twice as much as Robert Jordan. Given that RJ sold about 13 million copies in North America, that his last 4 novels have all debuted at number 1 on the NYT list and the one before that at number 2, and that the WoT is still the bestselling ensemble of books on Tor's backlist, again it is impossible for Goodkind to have sold more than Jordan.

Last year, his French publisher claimed on the cover of his new book that Goodkind had sold 10 million copies worldwide. Hence, I'd say that TG must have sold around 11 million copies worldwide, what with the success of CHAINFIRE.

Let's wait to see if Tor will answer my inquiry. . .

Patrick

Does anyone find the following deeply suspicious?

Goodkind

5747_15079_1.jpg

General Zod

terry_goodkind.gif

They both have a Yeard and both favour black. Both believe their view is the only way and seem to believe themselves to be some sort of God. His books seem preoccupied with some sort of "superman" figure.

Has Zod found a way to fatally damage the Planet Houston whilst remaining under Superman's radar? By ruining its literary heritage single handed?

I also note that he is running for President in 2008. He must be stopped.

http://www.zod2008.com/

There was also just one guy who changed the wiki article (and it wasn't me, even though Werthead made it look like that after thanking me when all I did was inform him that the page was back to normal. Thanks, dude!). Crass and childish, but hardly crime against humanity. The changes were so obvious that there was no way they'd be left standing (as I presume the culprit was well aware of).

Many apologies, Erzulie. I didn't think it was you, it just didn't come out worded very well.

Thanks to Mystar for providing a source for his 50 million figure. The fact that that source is almost certainly grossly in error is another topic altogether.

Just a couple quick snippets for our Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day, courtesy of Nicci, everybody's favourite Sister of the Dark with a heart of gold.

"Give me one reason why I should trust you with Lord Rahl's life."

Nicci gazed into Cara's eyes. "Because I saw his statue, and I understand, now, how wrong I've been. Have you ever been wrong, Cara? Really wrong? Can you ever understand what it's like to realize you've been unthinkingly serving evil, and hurting good people? Can you understand that Richard has shown me there is something to live for?"

<Blah blah blah>

"Richard, I can never ask your forgiveness because I can never return what I stole from you, but I want you to know that I now understand how wrong I've been. My whole life, I have been blind. I'm not making an excuse. It's just that I want you to know that you have restored my vision. In giving me the answer I sought, you gave me my life. You gave me a reason to want to live."

"And what did you see, Nicci?"

"Life. You sculpted it so big that even someone who had so blindly served evil, as I had done, could see it. You must no longer prove yourself to me. Now, it is for me, and those here you have inspired, to prove ourselves to you."

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. That's some statue.

~Terry Goodkind, Faith of the Fallen

"Because I saw his statue, and I understand, now, how wrong I've been. Have you ever been wrong, Cara? Really wrong? Can you ever understand what it's like to realize you've been unthinkingly serving evil, and hurting good people? Can you understand that Richard has shown me there is something to live for?"

For some strange reason, I burst out laughing the moment I read the word 'statue'.

I'll agree with the Mad Moose. That is some statue. I'm sure not even Michaelangelo could elict a response like that.

Your week attempt at attacking my three-year-old child.... I took a step back. You have no idea where you tread on that note. I will offer up a kind and honest warning. Leave my child or his up bringing out of any such commentary.

Just to add to what MMM said, you pretty much read that post completely wrong. It was not a shot at your child, it was a shot at you. Doesn't really make it any better. I mean, just because you come on here and insult the lot of us over and over again doesn't mean we should do the same. Sometimes schoolyard bullies just need to be ignored, ya know?

Also, when lugging out the ol' thesaurus in an attempt to make your language as pretentious as possible, you should probably try to get those easy ones too. ;)

For some strange reason, I burst out laughing the moment I read the word 'statue'.

I'll agree with the Mad Moose. That is some statue. I'm sure not even Michaelangelo could elict a response like that.

It needed a better description: Richard's statue was immense. Tall, proud and rigid, but also soft. Nicci yearned to stroke Richard's mighty testament to the nobility of the human spirit, to wrap her body around it as tears <naturally> streamed down her face.

Archived