The ADWD Epilogue

Northernmonkey

There's been a lot of talk on here about the ADWD epilogue recently, but is it only me who didn't really enjoy that part of the book?

I don't think it fits in with the rest of the novels at all. Like most people, throughout ADWD I kept thinking "when's Varys going to show up?" but when he does turn up, he just seems like a cartoon villain rather than the subtle character that he usually is. He seems to be acting very out of character. Obviously, GRRM writes the characters so he knows best, but weren't you disappointed to see Varys, the master manipulator, reduced to murdering two people in cold blood?

There are other questions I have. Why would Varys commit the murders in person? Surely he's got other people who are perfectly able. Why does he go on to explain his master plan to Kevan? Unlike the rest of the novels, it doesn't seem very realistic. It's like the whole scene is a nod to the reader, a contrived way to tell us Varys's plan and what side he's on.

I think it would have been better if the reader was left not knowing who murdered Kevan and Pycelle, or even if as he was dying, Kevan looked up to see Varys smiling at him.

I won't deny it was a very exciting scene, but I was also very disappointed.

I somewhat agree that it seemed contrived when Varys reveals his plan. Sort of like a reverse Scooby Doo villain confession where instead of confessing before being arrested, Varys confesses after killing Kevan. I'm hoping that there is some reason for his divulgence beyond telling us readers what Varys is actually up to, but I can't think of any other possible reason for it.

Varys has a tendency to show odd compassion toward the people he sometimes manipulates.

He was able to acknowledge Ned's honor, and for that reason he openly told him he knew about the twincest and just didn't do anything about it (one of the biggest triggers of the war, if not the biggest, so it is a big deal to tell someone you knew about it all along and just didn't act on it, especially someone as honorable as Ned).

I think he tells Kevan because he feels bad, and he feels he owes him an apology/explanation. He acknowledges that Kevan is a good, decent man and a capable ruler, and for that reason he tells him the reason of his death before he dies. To me, it actually sounds very Varys. Very oddly placed decency in a horrible time caused by horrible circumstances.

Varys has a tendency to show odd compassion toward the people he sometimes manipulates.

He was able to acknowledge Ned's honor, and for that reason he openly told him he knew about the twincest and just didn't do anything about it (one of the biggest triggers of the war, if not the biggest, so it is a big deal to tell someone you knew about it all along and just didn't act on it, especially someone as honorable as Ned).

I think he tells Kevan because he feels bad, and he feels he owes him an apology/explanation. He acknowledges that Kevan is a good, decent man and a capable ruler, and for that reason he tells him the reason of his death before he dies. To me, it actually sounds very Varys. Very oddly placed decency in a horrible time caused by horrible circumstances.

agreed. Varys also probably hasn't talked to any players in KL for a while and could have just taken the opportunity to enjoy himself (I'm sure it took a great deal of planing consideringhe's wanted for high treason) for once.

Archived