Victarion's Secret?

ugashep

I don't think this logic really applies... He's not trying to overcompensate anything, it's just that Ironborn are kind of lame.

What really amuses me is how on a book with so many great characters people choose to love... Victarion, the Dumb. Yeah, great fun Martin, being inside the head of the dumbest man on Westeros.

I don't think this logic really applies... He's not trying to overcompensate anything, it's just that Ironborn are kind of lame.

What really amuses me is how on a book with so many great characters people choose to love... Victarion, the Dumb. Yeah, great fun Martin, being inside the head of the dumbest man on Westeros.

How isnt victorian lovable?

But he's actually quite funny to read. His chapters are full of Irony.

Oh and on topic I don't think he's gay.

Doubtful. Just because a man is overtly macho, it doesn't ipso facto mean he's a repressed homosexual. I mean it happens, sure, and in a culture like the Ironborn (I use the term culture lightly here), it's probably even more prevalent than the rest of Westeros.

Even so, I see no signs of that in Victarion - he's just not complex enough to be a repressed anything. I do give him a pass on the "Dothraki Sea" thing though, it's a fair enough mistake to make outside of the educated classes IMO. Of course Victarion, being a prince, is part of the educated classes, but even so...

How isnt victorian lovable?

Violent psychopath being obviously fooled by his smarter, cooler, older brother who used to rape him. What is there to love besides 'I'm badass and competent in killing things"?

I know, I know... His chapters are a nice read because things actually happen. In a few chapters he gets to Essos and gets Dany a fleet, FINALLY.

But I don't like him as a POV. It's like: "Me hate Euron. Me steal Euron's pretty dragon bride. Me sacrifice innocent women but keep fucking Euron's obvious spy".

I mean... Can Victarion get any dumber?

I think his recalling of the dude he killed when taking the Shield islands was kinda gay. His plans with Daenerys don't really mean anything, it is a thing of pride, not a thing of lust. He enjoys doing women, but I think he admires brave men more than is usual. I'd say either bi, or a suppressed gay.

Even so, I see no signs of that in Victarion - he's just not complex enough to be a repressed anything.

On the contrary, I think that if a simple-minded gay is told that doing it with women is the right way, he'll do it that way without thinking about it much.

Violent psychopath being obviously fooled by his smarter, cooler, older brother who used to rape him.

There's no indication Victarion was abused by Euron. Aeron on the other hand...

Whenerv I see Aeron I always want to add C rescue,so he's Aeron C Rescure, (it's a pun.)

Violent psychopath being obviously fooled by his smarter, cooler, older brother who used to rape him. What is there to love besides 'I'm badass and competent in killing things"?

I know, I know... His chapters are a nice read because things actually happen. In a few chapters he gets to Essos and gets Dany a fleet, FINALLY.

But I don't like him as a POV. It's like: "Me hate Euron. Me steal Euron's pretty dragon bride. Me sacrifice innocent women but keep fucking Euron's obvious spy".

I mean... Can Victarion get any dumber?

I HATED him my first reading, but he's honestly grown on me. He's so stupid and uber-macho that it's amusing to me. Sort of a caricature of the hero's villianous enemy in the poorly written 80's action movies that my dad made me sit through.

ETA: I don't get a gay vibe from him.

Archived